Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

J C wrote: »
    Could I ask you to ask Benny Cake to withdraw his unfounded remark that I'm some kind of 'extremist' Christian for simply believing in the Apostles and Nicene Creeds?
    Benny called your views "extreme", but did not not call you an extremist. Here in A+A, that kind of comment specifically concerning ideas is considered well within the forum charter and will generally not be moderated.

FWIW, given the level of creationist belief in the USA, I don't believe that you'd be considered an "extremist" there, nor your beliefs considered "extreme". Things are different in Ireland, where creationism resides firmly at the thin end of the belief distribution. I reckon the term "literalist" might be closer to the mark, but as Turtwig points out, this thread isn't the place to discuss that. Do feel free to take it up here though.

/topic

Lucy's taking the day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

A general rule of boards is to not take topics off topic.

If it is a general rule (presumably applying to everyone) then would it not make sense to address the poster who took a thread off-topic, rather than JC for responding to their off-topic jibe?

Nick Park wrote: »
    If it is a general rule (presumably applying to everyone) then would it not make sense to address the poster who took a thread off-topic, rather than JC for responding to their off-topic jibe?
    Nobody's been toasted save for Lucy who made a number of unhelpful non-contributions, most of which have been deleted, and for which she's received October's first temporary user-ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

robindch wrote: »
    Mod:If you have a problem with the moderation in A+A, then take it to feedback where senior site admins will review the issue you raise and will take the whatever remedial action they deem necessary.

If you're not prepared to do that, then keep your snide comments to yourself lest you get moderated again.
    Is this not the feedback thread?

... or is there another one?

• Advertisement

Nobody's been toasted save for Lucy who made a number of unhelpful non-contributions, most of which have been deleted, and for which she's received October's first temporary user-ban.
    I've been placed under 'house arrest' on the mega-thead ... like a latter day Galileo Galilei.

You say that poor Lucy has been 'toasted' ... which sounds like something out of an auto-de-fé
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-da-f%C3%A9

I thought that Lucy's last contribution ... before she was 'consigned to the flames' and 'toasted' was civil, succinct and to the point:-
    wrote:
    Originally Posted by Lucy8080
    Short one here!

I cannot for the life of me see how Atheism can can complain about religious folks of all shades not engaging in talks/democracy/secularism..etc...and then when they do...confine them at your your behest!

J.C. aint the problem here....the fact s/he frustrates you to the point of a mob calling for a ban, well...that's the elephant in the room.

J.C. keeps the rules...so the rules get bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Is this not the feedback thread?

... or is there another one?

This is just a thread for A&A forum feedback.

There is a sitewide feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This was Lucy's last contribution.
    Now, now...don't forget to remove the above while your at it....and this one of course...we'll keep it under our hats.

(It was deleted- she was given the day off)

Turtwig wrote: »
    This was Lucy's last contribution.

Quote:
    Now, now...don't forget to remove the above while your at it....and this one of course...we'll keep it under our hats.

(It was deleted- she was given the day off)
    It all sounds very innocuous to me - but maybe I'm missing something ... and was this what she was actually 'toasted' for?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Her persistent history of needlessly arguing mod instruction in thread. She's been banned previously for the same. Tethering on the brink of a permanent ban too. Largely for one really silly thing.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    Her persistent history of needlessly arguing mod instruction in thread. She's been banned previously for the same. Tethering on the brink of a permanent ban too. Largely for one really silly thing.
    I thought that the feedback thread was the one thread where posters can question mod decisions/instructions??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pherekydes wrote: »
    This is just a thread for A&A forum feedback.

There is a sitewide feedback forum.

Was her comment not feedback about the A&A forum, specifically the topic that had been under discussion the last few pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

GreeBo wrote: »
    Was her comment not feedback about the A&A forum, specifically the topic that had been under discussion the last few pages?

Not withstanding the issues she was having with her computer personally I found her comments incomprehensible and more akin to bickering for the sake of it after the mods had already stated they were reviewing the situation.

Benny called your views "extreme", but did not not call you an extremist. Here in A+A, that kind of comment specifically concerning ideas is considered well within the forum charter and will generally not be moderated.

FWIW, given the level of creationist belief in the USA, I don't believe that you'd be considered an "extremist" there, nor your beliefs considered "extreme". Things are different in Ireland, where creationism resides firmly at the thin end of the belief distribution. I reckon the term "literalist" might be closer to the mark, but as Turtwig points out, this thread isn't the place to discuss that. Do feel free to take it up here though.

/topic
    To 'a man on a flying horse' the words 'extreme' and 'extremist' are quite closely linked and in modern usage, especially in matters pertaining to religious faith, they are prejudicial and loaded words indicating violent and other nasty tendencies in the person so described.

All I can do is protest the fact that being a Creationist isn't an 'extreme' position within Christianity given the fact that the Apostles and Nicene Creed states that God made all things visible and invisible ... which is precisely the faith position of a Creationist.
    This a mandatory faith requirement for all members of all the mainstream Christian Churches and I am a moderate liberal Christian in all matters of faith and dogma.

I am happy to leave it at that.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Not withstanding the issues she was having with her computer personally I found her comments incomprehensible and more akin to bickering for the sake of it after the mods had already stated they were reviewing the situation.
    Lucy's latter comments (for which she was banned) were made as feedback after the mods had reviewed the situation and made their decision to 'confine me to barracks' AKA the mega-thread.

Her latter comments (for which she was banned) were made as feedback after the mods had reviewed the situation and made their decision to 'confine me to barracks' AKA the mega-thread.

You say feedback.
    I say incomprehensible bickering that has only resulted in this dragging on and on and on and on.

If you feel you have been unfairly treated why not take it to Dispute Resolution?

Lucy can do likewise.

You say feedback.
    I say incomprehensible bickering that has only resulted in this dragging on and on and on and on.

If you feel you have been unfairly treated why not take it to Dispute Resolution?

Lucy can do likewise.
    I think Lucy was quite comprehensible (despite something seriously wrong with her computer keyboard).

I'm just a guest on this forum ... and I have no problem going where I'm asked to go, while I am here.

The mods have a difficult job and I have no wish to make things any more difficult for them.

In all fairness, I have been allowed to express my point of view and for this I sincerely thank you all ... and I enjoyed my 'walk-about' engaging on other threads on your forum.
    Indeed I started doing so, on the advice of some of you guys - that I should 'take a walk on the wild side' ... and engage on other topics besides the creation/evolution issue.

I look forward to Lucy returning tomorrow to give us of her wisdom ... with a hopefully better keyboard.

Good night and may God bless you all ... and those of you who don't believe that He exists, please take this blessing as just an expression of my goodwill towards you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

I think Lucy was quite comprehensible (despite something seriously wrong with her computer keyboard).

I'm just a guest on this forum ... and I have no problem going where I'm asked to go, while I am here.

The mods have a difficult job and I have no wish to make things any more difficult for them.

In all fairness, I have been allowed to express my point of view and for this I sincerely thank you all ... and I enjoyed my 'walk-about' engaging on other threads on your forum.
    Indeed I started doing so, on the advice of some of you guys - that I should 'take a walk on the wild side' ... and engage on other topics besides the creation/evolution issue.

I look forward to Lucy returning tomorrow to give us of her wisdom ... with a hopefully better keyboard.

Good night and may God bless you all ... and those of you who don't believe that He exists, please take this blessing as just an expression of my goodwill towards you.:)

And may the giant flying spaghetti monster caress you with his holy noodly appendages.

obplayer wrote: »
    And may the giant flying spaghetti monster caress you with his holy noodly appendages.
    Good night !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,900 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is more of it ... nick-naming the God that myself and over 90% of your neighbours believe in.

(a) argumentum ad populum fallacy

(b) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jeebus
    what's wrong with a little levity?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

(b) http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jeebus
    what's wrong with a little levity?

IT'S BLASPHEMY!!!11111!!!:D:D:D:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

obplayer wrote: »
    IT'S BLASPHEMY!!!11111!!!:D:D:D:):):)

Perhaps the mods should just go ahead and remove this part of the forum charter rather than just ignore it?
    Taking it out is fine, but right now it only operates in one way.
    2. Respect the right of people to hold religious or irreligious beliefs which are different from yours. Forum moderators reserve the right to take action against posts or posters which they deem to be offensive or intended to inflame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

It's also a lie. At most thirty-five to forty percent (and I am being very generous) of the country believe in the god of the bible. Even most mass-goers would be horrified if they read their holy book and found out what kind of a (imaginary) monster they were bending their knees to.

GreeBo wrote: »
    No. Lucy posted in a needlessly unhelpful fashion for which she was warned; she ignored the warning and posted again in the same wonky, unhelpful tone; this post was deleted without comment; she posted a third time in the same fashion; this third post was also deleted and she was banned for one day for repeatedly ignoring a moderator warning to take that class of comment to the feedback forum. If you have an issue with that, then please feel free to take it up in the feedback forum where the case will be reviewed by senior site admins.
    I thought that the feedback thread was the one thread where posters can question mod decisions/instructions??
    This is the A+A feedback thread where people can discuss just about everything and anything concerning A+A, except for moderator intervention which should be discussed in the feedback forum which is specifically for that purpose. I trust this distinction is clear, now that it's been explained :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

robin just while you're here, I rarely comment on the way the A&A forum runs, as you guys really do a great job (one of the most well moderated forums on the site, and it's popularity is testament to that (no pun intended)), but it really does sometimes feel like I'm reading a forum populated by juveniles when I see constant silly jibes and purposely pejorative and inflammatory terms when referring to religion and aspects of religious belief.

Initially when I first started posting in the forum, I figured it was just a swell and things aren't normally like this and everyone talks like adults, etc, but then I realised - it's bloody relentless! I get the in-jokes about biscuits and all the rest of it, and like I said before, there are some classics in the funny side of religion thread (which personally I've always thought would be more suitably named "The funny side of Atheism", in more or less the same format as the LGBT forum has it's "Funny side of not being straight" thread), but outside of that, in the middle of a serious discussion among adults, when you have people use silly pejoratives, it's not the even the silly pejoratives are annoying, nor the abundance of them, it's the fact that what one would expect to be mature adults, use them at all!

If Atheism and/or secularism is ever to gain any traction in this country, then this forum, being one of the most useful and important resources for Atheists in Ireland, needs to show some leadership and grow up an awful lot and start taking itself more seriously if it wants to be taken seriously by other adults and decision makers, regardless of their religious beliefs, affiliations, or indeed absence thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Czarcasm wrote: »
    robin just while you're here, I rarely comment on the way the A&A forum runs, as you guys really do a great job (one of the most well moderated forums on the site, and it's popularity is testament to that (no pun intended)), but it really does sometimes feel like I'm reading a forum populated by juveniles when I see constant silly jibes and purposely pejorative and inflammatory terms when referring to religion and aspects of religious belief.

Initially when I first started posting in the forum, I figured it was just a swell and things aren't normally like this and everyone talks like adults, etc, but then I realised - it's bloody relentless! I get the in-jokes about biscuits and all the rest of it, and like I said before, there are some classics in the funny side of religion thread (which personally I've always thought would be more suitably named "The funny side of Atheism", in more or less the same format as the LGBT forum has it's "Funny side of not being straight" thread), but outside of that, in the middle of a serious discussion among adults, when you have people use silly pejoratives, it's not the even the silly pejoratives are annoying, nor the abundance of them, it's the fact that what one would expect to be mature adults, use them at all!

If Atheism and/or secularism is ever to gain any traction in this country, then this forum, being one of the most useful and important resources for Atheists in Ireland, needs to show some leadership and grow up an awful lot and start taking itself more seriously if it wants to be taken seriously by other adults and decision makers, regardless of their religious beliefs, affiliations, or indeed absence thereof.
    Unfortunately, the serious pejoratives are ruled out by the forum charter. All we are left with to soothe certain frustrations is the silly ones.

I think you will find that the majority of them are aimed in certain directions when calm, mature discussion has proved again and again to be pointless.

legspin wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the serious pejoratives are ruled out by the forum charter. All we are left with to soothe certain frustrations is the silly ones.

I think you will find that the majority of them are aimed in certain directions when calm, mature discussion has proved again and again to be pointless.

That's my point leg spin in a nutshell - pejoratives, both serious, and silly, are ineffective, in any direction. They just make reading the forum all that much more difficult, and taking anything seriously, all that much more difficult.

That's why I'm making the point that they need to be cut out, from all directions. If mature discussion becomes pointless, immature pejoratives aren't going to do anything to pull the discussion back from the bottom of the barrel.

That's my point leg spin in a nutshell - pejoratives, both serious, and silly, are ineffective, in any direction. They just make reading the forum all that much more difficult, and taking anything seriously, all that much more difficult.

That's why I'm making the point that they need to be cut out, from all directions. If mature discussion becomes pointless, immature pejoratives aren't going to do anything to pull the discussion back from the bottom of the barrel.

Then by the same token should we also ban 'Jesus loves you' type comments which in a forum for atheists and agnostics could be construed as inflammatory?

I'm really not comfortable with all this talk of what/who should and should not be banned tbh... the list seems to be growing...

Then by the same token should we also ban 'Jesus loves you' type comments which in a forum for atheists and agnostics could be construed as inflammatory?

Yes, absolutely. It's as painful to read as any other nonsense.

I'm really not comfortable with all this talk of what/who should and should not be banned tbh... the list seems to be growing...

I'm not comfortable myself either with asking for more regulation, but in the absence of self-regulation, the forum just regurgitates and perpetuates the same behaviour, from the same directions, in every thread, and where does that get anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So what alternative solution do you propose?

Saying "Jesus loves you" and other such nonsense in the atheist forum is borderline trolling and plain and simple its only looking and hoping for a reaction.

If I went into the Catholic forum or Islamic forum and said your god is only in your imagination or "have fun talking to your imaginary friend" I'd very much so expect to be banned or at the very least warned or infracted because my comment would be inflammatory and borderline trolling.

I'd be making a post in a manner that is only simply looking for a reaction, its not constructive.

Advertisement