Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nodin wrote: »
    There are those who claim that his essence contain no meatballs, still others that what meat is there is meat in appearance only, and is, in nature, noodly.
    I have heard of such factions within branches of teachings, however, cannot for the life of me put my belief system into one that does not contain His Meat and hence any teachings that do not state the beauty of His Meat, and His Appendage together as one loving entity. His Meat and Appendages are within all of us, as they touch us deeply and offend none.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think I've figured it out.
    You are predominantly interested in childish ridicule of religion, you hide behind an inclusive harter, when it's pointed out that this is a lie the circle forms and the jerking begins.

Got it.

Excellent job on the feedback thread btw, really beneficial to your "forum".

If only The Noodlesome One would forgive all the non believers for hating what is not them, and what is not their beliefs, soon, for soon is too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

GreeBo wrote: »
    Atheists are idiots for not believing in any faith.

Is that not equally inflammatory?
    Or is it only a problem because it's against the common theme within AA forum?

Edit the charter to reflect the reality of how the forum is run, it says it's equal but it is not, it's (possibly rightly) biased towards AA beliefs, acknowledge that and be open about it.

If you had said atheism is a made up nonsense then that would not have been inflammatory as it refers to the beliefs and not the believers. However calling atheists/Christians/Muslims idiots for what they believe in is inflammatory as it refers directly to the believers. Hope this helps, more biscuits please and inward thinking ftw :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm amazed by people who visit forums they don't like. Guess I'm off to the fashion forum to complain about how I have no interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yea!
    Biscuits and inward thinking for all at the AA forum.

Some Atheists and Agnostics in a forum for Atheists and Agnostics have stated they believe religion is nonsense - well hold the press!

I believe Religion is dangerous nonsense - quick censor me in case I offend someone who thinks my have sexual congress with my same sex OH is an abomination.

I can provide many many examples of why religion is dangerous and why it is nonsense (as in it makes no sense) yet those I may offend can only point to a few books written by desert dwellers a long, long, long time ago that contain so many contradictions as to demonstrably be nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm amazed by people who visit forums they don't like. Guess I'm off to the fashion forum to complain about how I have no interest in it.

I'm off to the Diabetics thread in Longterm Illness Forum to complain about how this worship of carbohydrate makes light of a chronic illness and makes me feel excluded, belittled and generally very ill.

AND I can't have any biscuits :mad:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Some Atheists and Agnostics in a forum for Atheists and Agnostics have stated they believe religion is nonsense - well hold the press!

I believe Religion is dangerous nonsense - quick censor me in case I offend someone who thinks my have sexual congress with my same sex OH is an abomination.

I can provide many many examples of why religion is dangerous and why it is nonsense (as in it makes no sense) yet those I may offend can only point to a few books written by desert dwellers a long, long, long time ago that contain so many contradictions as to demonstrably be nonsense.
    Why can't you defend your point without resorting to inflammatory and derogatory words?
    Nonsense means a lot more than no sense, I guess you know that.
    A book != religion, faith or belief but I'm guessing you know that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tell them that Haute couture stuff is shite from me while you're there.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'm off to the Diabetics thread in Longterm Illness Forum to complain about how this worship of carbohydrate makes light of a chronic illness and makes me feel excluded, belittled and generally very ill.

AND I can't have any biscuits :mad:
    Meat, you need His Meat.

• Advertisement

You are predominantly interested in childish ridicule of religion, you hide behind an inclusive harter, when it's pointed out that this is a lie the circle forms and the jerking begins.

Got it.

By Jove I think he's got it. I'm off to the golf forum to announce my distaste at golf, anyone disagreeing with me must be a circle-jerking child. I know which of our stances is the more childish...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why can't you defend your point without resorting to inflammatory and derogatory words?

Why can't you engage with posters here who have asked you a legitimate question?

I asked you why you said you find the FSM offensive. I'm now equally baffled why you would claim an atheist saying religion is nonsense is offensive, and in an atheist forum no less. What do you expect an atheist to say about religion, that it all makes perfect sense to them? or should they be allowed speech at all?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Atheists are idiots for not believing in any faith.

Is that not equally inflammatory?
    Or is it only a problem because it's against the common theme within AA forum?

Edit the charter to reflect the reality of how the forum is run, it says it's equal but it is not, it's (possibly rightly) biased towards AA beliefs, acknowledge that and be open about it.

"Religious people are idiots"

Often times the above leads to mod intervention. Calling ideas nonsensical or idiotic is fine as long as it's not soapboxing or similar.

The distinction is drawn between descriptions of the ideas and descriptions of the person holding those ideas.

IT-Guy wrote: »
    By Jove I think he's got it. I'm off to the golf forum to announce my distaste at golf, anyone disagreeing with me must be a circle-jerking child. I know which of our stances is the more childish...

Distaste all you want, ridicule posters for liking golf will get you moderated over there.

Nonsense means a lot more than no sense, I guess you know that.
    A book != religion, faith or belief but I'm guessing you know that too.

Can you point out the derogatory and inflammatory words here? If religious beliefs are rational and valid then surely you have a better argument or comeback other than doing the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and having a strop simply because you don't like what we're saying!

Bannasidhe's point about the bible is perfectly valid, when attempting to root out an illness you don't treat the symptoms, you take out the cause ;)

Turtwig wrote: »
    "Religious people are idiots"

Often times the above leads to mod intervention. Calling ideas nonsensical or idiotic is fine as long as it's not soapboxing or similar.

The distinction is drawn between descriptions of the ideas and descriptions of the person holding those ideas.

How can you separate the two when religion is intrinsically linked to the person holding the ideas?

"Religious people believe in something idiotic" is ok then?
    This is back to wordsmithing to allow AA posters ridicule religion.
    Just change your charter to follow the purpose of your forum, don't pretend to be equal to both views.

Distaste all you want, ridicule posters for liking golf will get you moderated over there.

Yup and said without the faintest hint of irony.

Why can't you engage with posters here who have asked you a legitimate question?

I asked you why you said you find the FSM offensive.

Hi Greebo, third time of asking.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

IT-Guy wrote: »
    Yup and said without the faintest hint of irony.

Irony?
    We don't allow ridicule, unlike the AA forum apparently.
    We also don't allow golf forum members to ridicule other sports either.
    Could you explain your post a bit better perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yea!
    Biscuits and inward thinking for all at the AA forum.

Ah here, you're stooping to Lucy's levels of passive-aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Because people aren't black or white do you honestly not know someone who believes something you consider to be silly or wrong but is also still smart and a good person?

Believing an idiotic thing doesn't make you an idiot. It makes you human. Looked at your way we're all idiots but then the remark wouldn't be derogatory.

Hi Greebo, third time of asking.

It's clearly ridiculing those with religious beliefs.
    Apologies for not seeing your earlier requests, not omnipresent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

So you dont think referring to someones beliefs as a spaghetti monster is inflammatory or offensive?

"If you're not prepared to do that, then keep your snide comments to yourself lest you get moderated again."
    I dont think thats an appropriate way for a mod to speak publically to a poster, whatever the poster does, it should be handled with respect and behind closed doors.

Oh I get it alright, if you are A or A then you get to rididule those with religious beliefs.
    How can calling a devout catholics God a FSM not be offensive or inflammatory?
    But hey its fine, because this is A&A and as long as you arent offending an Atheist fire away, charter doesnt apply.

This is our space. If we can't air our honest views of every type of woo imaginable here, what is the point allowing here to exist at all? This space is here because it was asked for and in a sense of balance the admins permitted it. Others of whatever stripe of religion have their talking shops and if all the others exist we have that right also.
    Much and all as the mods try to stop us talking about what goes on in the others forums and by the way I understand fully why that is, it doesn't stop us from seeing what is said in them. The difference is I expect nothing else but to be horrified by what I see there. So I don't go to them very often and I certainly don't post because I really wouldn't last long without being banned.
    That's there though. This is here. What on earth does a religious person expect in the Atheist & Agnostic forum? No-one of a religious bent should expect us to kowtow to whatever tomfoolery they purport to follow here and then tiptoe around their sensibilities. If they do they will get a rightfully caustic ridiculing. Expecting anything else is naïve to say the least.

legspin wrote: »
    This is our space. If we can't air our honest views of every type of woo imaginable here, what is the point allowing here to exist at all? This space is here because it was asked for and in a sense of balance the admins permitted it. Others of whatever stripe of religion have their talking shops and if all the others exist we have that right also.
    Much and all as the mods try to stop us talking about what goes on in the others forums and by the way I understand fully why that is, it doesn't stop us from seeing what is said in them. The difference is I expect nothing else but to be horrified by what I see there. So I don't go to them very often and I certainly don't post because I really wouldn't last long without being banned.
    That's there though. This is here. What on earth does a religious person expect in the Atheist & Agnostic forum? No-one of a religious bent should expect us to kowtow to whatever tomfoolery they purport to follow here and then tiptoe around their sensibilities. If they do they will get a rightfully caustic ridiculing. Expecting anything else is naïve to say the least.

The forum charter leads one to believe "anything else".
    That's my point, why pretend it's something it's not?

It's clearly ridiculing those with religious beliefs.

Is it? Why do you say that? (this can go on until either of us get bored, or you provide something more substantial than slightly differently worded assertions.)

You are now making stuff up ('anything else') which isn't in the charter and which Turtwig has already explained to you.

This isn't going to achieve anything except wasting everyone's time, but maybe that's the goal.

Irony?
    Could you explain your post a bit better perhaps?

And I'm sure those rules work for your forum. However in A+A I think the rules reflect reality, no idea or beliefs are above satire and parody. I don't like golf, however I wouldn't disrespect someone who does but would have no problem parodying, satirising or ridiculing the sport because it is just that, a sport. Similarly with religion, I respect the right of people to their beliefs no matter how silly I think they are. It does not follow though that I must never parody, satirise or outright ridicule some of the crazy, crazy s**t that religious people believe. Censoring my POV because others don't like it though I haven't caused offence is an act borne of a fearful, oppressive worldview.

Personally I think a lot of people dislike ridicule of their religion because they know there's more than a grain of truth to it but want so badly for their worldview to be validated they can't take any criticism of it. Google the Johari window, it's analogous to any closely held belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Gordon wrote: »
    I have heard of such factions within branches of teachings, however, cannot for the life of me put my belief system into one that does not contain His Meat and hence any teachings that do not state the beauty of His Meat, and His Appendage together as one loving entity. His Meat and Appendages are within all of us, as they touch us deeply and offend none.

As the blessed string theory, which He scientifically predicted with His holy appearance, teaches us, everything is ultimately noodly in its appearace when you get dow to the fundamentals.

Quant Suff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Got it.

This. The charter is there for show, but is not strictly applied on both sides of the debate. Either it should be applied or changed. Quite simple really.

Hate to dig old posts up but I had to check your statements for validity because His Noodlesome One demanded it.
    Some could argue the below to be ridiculing other posters.
    So now we have "real" feeder courses...but not "real" members?
    Hilarious.

I cant seem to get any points past the chip on your shoulder so I'm not going to bother.
    As you seem to know, everything is perfectly hunky dory in the massively wealthy clubs. Champagne, caviar and port wine are flowing and the members point and laugh at all other clubs.
    Nope, laughing at your sarcastic post failure.
    If you had managed it with one post it might have been mildly humorous but duffing your first attempt...;)

/edit
    Also a whitewash leaving the cup at 6-2 would be cause for concern for me...not you then?

Some could argue that this is looking down at footballers and potentially ridiculing them
    let's try to remain civil with each other here lads, don't want to start handing out infractions but will if the tone of some of these posts continues ...we are golfers , not footballers.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    This. The charter is there for show, but is not strictly applied on both sides of the debate. Either it should be applied or changed. Quite simple really.

Can you give an example of this? FWIW, I think the first of the bullet points in robin's last post in the charter isn't fully understood by yourself or others visiting here from the Christianity forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60021068&postcount=4

Advertisement