Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

robindch wrote: »
    Bish -- no need to feel inadequate -- A+A welcomes people of all levels of smartipantness.

Good to hear. Was just joshing of course. There are indeed some fine minds around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

This is the best run forum on the site. The moderators are extremely reasonable, and the regulars deal with trolls superbly. People are very, very fair here. This place makes me feel like there actually is a bright future for humanity. It's a nice cosy little corner of boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

*Time to get chuffed lads and laddies.*

Ok, so I've been a regular-ish member here for a few years now. (I'm not keeping count :p). In that time I've started threads here about stuff that simply isn't relevant to atheism but I started them because I knew that here of all places I'd get damn good reasoned well though out and, most importantly, respectful arguments both for and against. So that's one plus for this forum.

But this forum has made me aware of so much stuff I simply wasn't aware of. A list would simply be too long. I've quite simply learned a load of stuff, being exposed to new philosophies and from the help of some of the regulars here have actually learned and gained interests in stuff I thought I'd have no interest in whatsoever. What more can you ask for?

Finally,the fact both strabogolis, strobey, me and others are allowed to post nothing but bizarre stream of conscience likes posts in a thread of our own shows how awesome the mods here are. Don't change anything. It's almost perfect. You can't be perfect, you can always be better but really in the case of A&A I don't really see any steps that be taken to make things better.

Only nag I have against the forum but there's really not a whole lot the mods can do about it is that when someone starts a routine ill informed and ignorant post on a topic we tend to be too abrasive and that poster gets bombarded by all of us not really fully debunking the substance to his argument but just taking pot shots at his logic that we should really know they won't understand or see the humour in. It probably causes a few people to stonewall that's my only gripe. But, really, I think those who persist, I did, gain so much more from the forum than they could on many other fora that exist on the internet. The discussions here are simply brilliant. Where else on the internet will I find a cool and calm debate on abortion? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One day I'll understand that "Irreligious countries and ****" thread.

One day...

Dades wrote: »
    One day I'll understand that "Irreligious countries and ****" thread.

One day...

I have no intention of ever understanding it, just posting and the music. Oh! The music!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

In the last month or so I've been reading and posting here, I've dragged up more that I think I know, and learned much more that I didn't, than in any other situation the last 15 years has thrown at me. I feel like I'm in the early stages of recovery from a very persistent case of baby-brain. Thanks all - I nearly feel like I actually want to go and study something in depth and maybe, just maybe, get a qualification to my name one day. Seriously, many thanks - this place is a good place. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Obliq wrote: »
    In the last month or so I've been reading and posting here, I've dragged up more that I think I know, and learned much more that I didn't, than in any other situation the last 15 years has thrown at me. I feel like I'm in the early stages of recovery from a very persistent case of baby-brain. Thanks all - I nearly feel like I actually want to go and study something in depth and maybe, just maybe, get a qualification to my name one day. Seriously, many thanks - this place is a good place. :cool:

Do it.
    I'm doing a degree in science ten years after dropping out of uni and the good people here and on /sci/ are a large reason for it. There are a bunch of rescources on line, free college modules from iTunes Uni, Coursera.org to dip your toes into, and if you decide to go ahead but can't spare the time for full time, the Open University is an A1 organization, I was skeptical at first but starting my second year of study with them now.

Any chance we could give Brown Bomber his/her own sub-forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Jernal wrote: »
    Any chance we could give Brown Bomber his/her own sub-forum?

That we could then stick on ignore.

Feedback on individual posters is not what this thread is about, thanks all.

• Advertisement

Feedback on individual posters is not what this thread is about, thanks all.

My apologies for that, was just a bit irked by what I considered inane threads and duplicates. Won't happen again, my sirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Don't quite know if this is the right place for this, but: Mods, I'm getting a malware alert from the Interesting Stuff thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Proves atheists have no morals. Luring people in with knowledge and wonder only to infect them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Interesting Stuff is a trojan. Once it's in there it makes you curious. Next thing you know, you're reading science blogs and we all know where that leads.

If there's one thing the RCC has taught me, it's that curiosity is wrong and immoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

fitz0 wrote: »
    Interesting Stuff is a trojan. Once it's in there it makes you curious. Next thing you know, you're reading science blogs and we all know where that leads.

If there's one thing the RCC has taught me, it's that curiosity is wrong and immoral.

'An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nodin wrote: »
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded'

I think I read that when I was about 8 in a book about Warhammer. :p

Anyone else getting the message? I know sink is too.

Was wondering if it's to do with ads rather something in the thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not, but then I'm using a mac.

Suckers.

Anyone else getting the message? I know sink is too.

Was wondering if it's to do with ads rather something in the thread.

I am. Using Chrome.

Okay will escalate it so. Am on iPad and not seeing not wrong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm getting it too but not on the first page of interesting stuff. Will pm the post that is creating the malware alert to you dades. :D T'is just an image link that's causing the issue.

Cheers, Corkfeen. Deleted that post...

Can anyone tell me if the issue has gone away for them? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Sorry, I was slightly drunk when I sent the pm so I probably should have been more specific. :D Message is gone for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

gvn wrote: »
    Are you reading the same posts as I am?

Can you point out, exactly, where robindch is making the generalisation that all religious people are "just a litle bit dim maybe or incapable of logical enquiry"?

I, for one, can't see where he has said anything of the sort.

It too me two minutes to find one (its very old but its in your sticky I just read)
    robindch wrote: »
    >And no, from the new report, the guy wasn't obviously mentally unbalanced, at least no more than the average religious believer who thinks that their god or gods will protect them from whatever happens by.

Ok I'm not a user of this forum as a Agnostic/Catholic (or even regular lurker though I have posted a few times) but I do love feedback threads and I;ve never read one like this(e.g the lack of debate and problems shouldn't be considered a good thing). I purposely bring this up having seen this forum described by an self described atheist as a mutual backslapping forum (on a separate thread obviously, and don;t think its appropriate to link to the post) so perhaps its worth considering that consensus isn;t beneficial

Like I said I always read feedback things (mainly because I've an interest in how online communities interact etc so feel free to ignore or delete or have an argument)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It too me two minutes to find one (its very old but its in your sticky I just read)

Ok I'm not a user of this forum as a Agnostic/Catholic (or even regular lurker though I have posted a few times) but I do love feedback threads and I;ve never read one like this(e.g the lack of debate and problems shouldn't be considered a good thing). I purposely bring this up having seen this forum described by an self described atheist as a mutual backslapping forum (on a separate thread obviously, and don;t think its appropriate to link to the post) so perhaps its worth considering that consensus isn;t beneficial

Like I said I always read feedback things (mainly because I've an interest in how online communities interact etc so feel free to ignore or delete or have an argument)
    And no, from the new report, the guy wasn't obviously mentally unbalanced, at least no more than the average religious believer who thinks that their god or gods will protect them from whatever happens by

I've bolded the important section.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Has this self-described atheist posted here that she/he thinks this is a mutual backslapping forum? - it would be a shame (and a touch hypocritical of them) to not have the courage of their convictions to say what they think in the Feedback thread but instead bitch and moan elsewhere...more backstabbing than backslapping methinks.

Just saying....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's pretty easy to find that post with search, I think.

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

only one I could find by someone claiming to be an atheist. And that thread was closed quickly.

Other than than that, Jimitime and Brown Bomber are the only other people, and neither of them have ever claimed to be atheists.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

5uspect wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to find that post with search, I think.

Couldn't be asked tbh. My point was apparently an atheist poster complained somewhere or other that A&A was nowt but a mutual backsplapping fest but didn't feel the need to state that in the A&A Feedback thread so another poster pops in to tell us about it and use it as the basis of criticism. Smacks of the school yard to me.

I am also amused by how the fact that the majority of posters who bothered to comment in this feedback thread were of the opinion that it is a well run, well moderated forum is now being twisted into 'ye are all backslapping' (obviously those making the accusations haven't participated in either the Abortion or the Gun Control in US threads...).

Personally, I happen to believe this is a well-run, well moderated forum - which is more than I can (and have) said about others and I do think this is a good thing.

• Advertisement

This is all a bit vague to be even arguing about it, tbh.

Advertisement