Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged For Bounced Payment But Money was in Account?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How do direct debits and related charges work with BOI? I'm very confused as my online statement shows my wages coming in and then after that on the same day it shows a failed payment (which was far less than what I was paid so it shouldn't have bounced). I was charged 12.70 by BOI and 6 euros by my electricity provide so I'd like to understand why this happened.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Attol,

Thanks for posting.

Direct Debits come out of an account at midnight.
    If your wages came in after midnight and you had insufficient funds to meet the Direct Debit, you would by charged the €12.70.

To prevent this from happening again, it should be possible to change the date of the Direct Debit by contacting your electricity supplier.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Thanks for your swift response. I actually checked my account several times after midnight on the day I got paid. My wages were there before the bounced transaction. I checked several times between 12 and 12.30 as I had been paid incorrectly and I was hoping that another payment would come in. The direct debit was not there when I checked that day and is displayed after my wage payment on my online banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Attol,

The €12.70 unpaid fee usually appears on an account the day after the Direct Debit is presented for.
    In this instance, if the electricity provider presented for the money the day before you got paid, you would see the charge on the day that you got paid.

We do not have access to specific account details at this department however if you call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365, the Representative will be able to clarify the date that the Direct Debit was presented for.

Representative assisted hours are 8am - 12midnight Monday to Friday and 9am - 6pm Saturday, Sunday and Holidays.

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement