Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astrophotography - Blurry Moon

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Nerro wrote: »
    Well that's Astrophotography...you try, fail and try again.thats the only way to learn.when shooting DSO I use only half of the images I take as others are rubbish.
    If you are from Dublin area, myself and few other lads are thinking to head to sugar loaf this weekend for some observing (depending on weather) you are welcome to join if you want to get few pointers what are you doing wrong.

That sounds like a great plan! I am away on Saturday, I suppose no chance this is happening on Friday or Sunday?

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Bohrio wrote: »
    That sounds like a great plan! I am away on Saturday, I suppose no chance this is happening on Friday or Sunday?

Ta

I posted about doing something like this in the photography forum. I there was spear transport and obviously an invite id love to go too.

Currently the weather charts show Saturday being mostly clear up to midnight but an approaching front early in the morning not pinned down just yet.

Have you gotten shots of the milky way from the sugar loaf before Nerro?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Ta
    Its all weather depending.If friday will be good then why not.You have to take every oportunity with this weather :)

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Have you gotten shots of the milky way from the sugar loaf before Nerro?
    unfortunatelly not.i dont have a good lense for that :(
    But believe it or not sugar loaf happens to be not the darkest place in wicklow.There was some research done :
    http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=20&id=95103&Itemid=40

unfortunatelly not.i dont have a good lense for that :(
    But believe it or not sugar loaf happens to be not the darkest place in wicklow.There was some research done :
    http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=20&id=95103&Itemid=40

:( ... i'd love to get a chance again to capture the milky way!!

this shot is from my storm chase trip to the US back in June..

7433379220_426dfe2546_z.jpg

HI res here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/7433379220/sizes/k/in/photostream/

Nice Research there! , i find the best place nearest me ( finglas ) for decent enough skies is up past St.Margarets (near the airport ) . Usually go there for Meteor showers .

Latest GFS chart for friday evening shows cloud clearing to the SE just after sunset . ( could change on next run)

223031.png

• Advertisement

wow thats a nice image!would like to see what you would get with tracking!
    Hope its going to be all good for friday as it looks like saturday is rubish weather wise...

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :( ... i'd love to get a chance again to capture the milky way!!

this shot is from my storm chase trip to the US back in June..

Wow, nice! I was so close to do the same during my visit to Grand Canyon... but I ran out of time!

What lens did you use?

I think my Tokina will be good for this but I havent had a chance to try.

The clearest view of the night Sky I have seen in Ireland was outside Tullow... you could see the perfectly the shape of the milky way.. if I had my camera then!

wow thats a nice image!would like to see what you would get with tracking!
    Hope its going to be all good for friday as it looks like saturday is rubish weather wise...

Cheers! Ye , i cant only imagine what i could of gotten there wit tracking!

Saturday doest too bad, but instead of the cloud rolling away its coming towards us so there'd be a smaller window of opportunity !
    Wow, nice! I was so close to do the same during my visit to Grand Canyon... but I ran out of time!

What lens did you use?

I think my Tokina will be good for this but I havent had a chance to try.

The clearest view of the night Sky I have seen in Ireland was outside Tullow... you could see the perfectly the shape of the milky way.. if I had my camera then!

Thanks , that was using my 10-20mm Sigma f3.5 30 seconds ISO 3200 ...

Best in HD

Ive seen a good few photos on FB by Conor Ledwith if you want to look him up . Always gets the milky way in Galway the lil fecker ha. Gets great composition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Where are you located Bohrio, sounds like something is amiss somewhere. If you are near Julianstown I can have a look for you?

Ill prob be headin up to Sugarloaf if its going ahead as one of my customers invited me, in fact he will be bringing a HEQ5 Synscan and an 8" reflector - a good astro-p setup to begin with.

I think another of the guys brings an EQ6, a monster of a mount :D

@ Ian, beautiful pic! 10/10

Kersh wrote: »
    Where are you located Bohrio, sounds like something is amiss somewhere. If you are near Julianstown I can have a look for you?

Ill prob be headin up to Sugarloaf if its going ahead as one of my customers invited me, in fact he will be bringing a HEQ5 Synscan and an 8" reflector - a good astro-p setup to begin with.

Right in the opposite side of you! I live in Sandyford.

I am sure there is something I am not doing right, I want to try playing with the camera and make sure I havent changed a setting by mistake or something.

I am away on saturday, so I think I am going to miss this one but I will be up for the next one if am I still welcome!

;)

• Advertisement

Kersh wrote: »

Right in the opposite side of you! I live in Sandyford.

I am sure there is something I am not doing right, I want to try playing with the camera and make sure I havent changed a setting by mistake or something.

I am away on saturday, so I think I am going to miss this one but I will be up for the next one if am I still welcome!

;)
    We are going to go ahead for tonight as Saturday is a no go according to forecast
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/dublin/207931/astronomy/207931
    Where abouts in sandyford do you live? I live in Blackglen myself :)

We are going to go ahead for tonight as Saturday is a no go according to forecast

I live at the Beacon

So what time is that then? it is looking pretty cloudy to me!!!! :(

I live at the Beacon

So what time is that then? it is looking pretty cloudy to me!!!! :(
    Well according to all the satellite images it should clear up.
    9 o'clock meet up in sugar loaf car park

Well according to all the satellite images it should clear up.
    9 o'clock meet up in sugar loaf car park

ok then... Sugar loaf then.

Where in sugar loaf is it? Sorry about that... I imagine there is only one but I have never been to sugar loaf... I must ask the wife

I will wait until 8 and see how the weather is looking then?

fingers crossed!

Where in sugar loaf is it? Sorry about that... I imagine there is only one but I have never been to sugar loaf... I must ask the wife
    Here is a map for you
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.145638,-6.15567&spn=0.002767,0.006899&t=h&z=17&msid=107588152882591412863.00048a022e46cf818c014&source=embed

I am so sorry I missed it...

Good thing about being "grounded" at home again is that I got the chance to practice a bit more, now I am not sure of what I did but I think things have improved

8058023547_3ec61e0b2b_b.jpg

Really looking forward to the next meeting!

ok... so after the partial success with the moon I decided to bring my camera and my tripod down to Mayo and try some milky way shots...

So I honestly dont have a clue of what I am doing in regards post editing etc but in fairness I thought it was going to be much worse...

8064330398_e76fa45eb7_z.jpg

I say the picture would have been much nicer if it wasnt for the moon, can't wait for a moonless clear sky

I particulary like this one... 1 am and almost a full moon... I like the stars in the back ground but the picture looks like if its daylight

8064416833_397322b784_c.jpg

Glad to see that you are finally getting good results.persistance does pay off :)

Advertisement