Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Big Name Retailers Looking At Limerick City (Again)

Options
  • 02-10-2012 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Rumours abound that M&S and another mystery large retailer are looking at Limerick again. While this would be a great development we've heard it all before several times so I think I'll believe it when I see it!

For one the only major option for them would be the Opera centre. Dunnes aren't going to rent out their massive unused store to a major competitor.

Linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

The plan I have heard is that Penneys and Tesco are to move across the road to the opera centre as 2 main anchors while the arthurs quay and penneys blocks will be demolished and be made of a riverside park..this was the original plan and i believe will be seen sooner rather than later as the city council own the site and are to have already started the clearance of the opera site already

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

They could do a fine job in developing a park there if they demolished the old Dunnes on Sarsfield Street as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

Does anyone else think that the big newish building on Thomas St./Catherine St. would make a good large store. It's got four or five large floors and a good location between the fledgling Fashion Quarter and the Cafe Quarter, and close to Brown Thomas and parking. It would need a new central escalator/elevator but is in pretty good condition. I know it was sold a few months ago but there hasn't been much sign of life since then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

dave 27 wrote: »
    The plan I have heard is that Penneys and Tesco are to move across the road to the opera centre as 2 main anchors while the arthurs quay and penneys blocks will be demolished and be made of a riverside park..this was the original plan and i believe will be seen sooner rather than later as the city council own the site and are to have already started the clearance of the opera site already

I saw this plan ages ago and its pie in the sky. Yes the council now owns the Opera center site but they don't own arthurs quay or Pennys and they definitely don't have the money to build the opera center or buy Authers Quay and Pennys just to demolish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

When I see a giant M and S being hoisted into place over a door, I'll believe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Sick to f*k about this M&S "will they, won't they" speculation yet again from the Portadown printed Leader. Not to mention the cringe inducing thought of Mayor Locky's daughter informing us once more of her lingerie preferences.

If we could attract any major international name here, I wish it was Carrefour (preferably) or Karstadt rather than yet another U.K. multiple turning our cities into cloned British 'Oi' Streets....one Cruises Street disaster should be enough.

* Like that idea (@pigtown) for a store in that building at Thomas/Catherine St. Class building imo.

I saw this plan ages ago and its pie in the sky. Yes the council now owns the Opera center site but they don't own arthurs quay or Pennys and they definitely don't have the money to build the opera center or buy Authers Quay and Pennys just to demolish them.

I seem to recall something about the centre reverting to City Council ownership this year or next. It could just be the carpark element though. Anyone know more on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

When I see a giant M and S being hoisted into place over a door, I'll believe it!

Me too because my former Colleague who does the training in M&S assured me last year(somebody can find the post I'm sure) that they did have Limerick on their new store listings and would be opening.

So when I see the M&S I will believe it too. Anyway, stick an M&S in Old Dunnes on the Bridge and be done with it.

Screw it, Nandos and a Wagamama as well while your at it. Oh and a KFC drive through on the Ennis road(next to Woodies). Why the hell not whilst we are all dreaming I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Purple monkey dishwasher, me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

and throw in a few job bridges to join all the new developments together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

M&S feck that I want an Ikea now that would actually be a retailer that would breath life into limerick.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    M&S feck that I want an Ikea now that would actually be a retailer that would breath life into limerick.

Wouldn't mind an Ikea. Hot dogs for 99c. :D (oh and Furniture as well)

Limerick being between Cork & Galway would be perfect mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Beer Baron wrote: »

I highly doubt it but sure we can live in hope, I'd say if they were going to open another store they would put it in cork, and even at that it's a big if!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The City Council do actually own Arthurs quay Shopping Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Beer Baron wrote: »
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »

I'd actually just have to stop using the cork limerick cattletrack. Enough slow-mo's without them being loaded down with kitchen cabinets and improbably restrained couches.

Edit, you could add the limerick killarney road to that too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

kilburn wrote: »
    The City Council do actually own Arthurs quay Shopping Centre

Are you sure about that? While I know the city council own the car park, the rest was build and paid for privately by Tiernan and O'Callagahan and is run by Tiernan Properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

pigtown wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the big newish building on Thomas St./Catherine St. would make a good large store. It's got four or five large floors and a good location between the fledgling Fashion Quarter and the Cafe Quarter, and close to Brown Thomas and parking. It would need a new central escalator/elevator but is in pretty good condition. I know it was sold a few months ago but there hasn't been much sign of life since then.

Tescos were turned down for one of their express stores on that very site I beleive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

steveon wrote: »
    Tescos were turned down for one of their express stores on that very site I beleive...

Maybe they should stick an M&S Simply Food in there instead! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Maybe they should stick an M&S Simply Food in there instead! :P
    Mmm some shortbreads and a bag of Percy Pigs please!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'd love to see a M&S come to Limerick. An IKEA might bring a customer base to the region but from my knowledge of their stores they can cause terrible traffic congestion so it would need to be based off the ring road and a new junction would almost be required for the store itself. It could certainly attract cusomers from the M18 and M7, but at peak times I'm not sure anyone would go to too much bother coming from the N20 or the N21 direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That is correct. They wanted to go there but there were objections.

Thank God for that. We have few enough shops as it is, another Tesco would hardly be an addition. If the council could secure a significant name that isn't all that common in Ireland, like House of Fraser, or maybe coin from Italy or V&D from the Netherlands. These type of stores would be more successful in drawing in shoppers from Cork or Galway or even Dublin because they are rare in Ireland. A M&S would not entice shoppers from anywhere else in the country, except maybe Ennis or Newcastlewest.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The former Dell EMF3 plant would be ideal for the likes of IKEA, plenty of shipping bays for loading/unloading stock, plenty of floor space for stock, large car park for about 900 cars and close to the M20 motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

bazz26 wrote: »
    The former Dell EMF3 plant would be ideal for the likes of IKEA, plenty of shipping bays for loading/unloading stock, plenty of floor space for stock, large car park for about 900 cars and close to the M20 motorway.

Not a bad idea at all there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Hi Folks it wasn't that there were objections. The problem was tesco couldn't get their trucks to be able to deliver around the building because the roads are too tight and the delivery entrance down the side alley is too small for any truck to get down. So the only way for them to deliver is stop in main road . Drag pallets down side alley while holding up all the traffic. Not really an option...

That would make 2 much sense for ne1 in the council to actually approve it as they wouldnt get any brown paper bags for approving it.. or supplying the building or thweir cousiins land for the development.

Hi Folks it wasn't that there were objections. The problem was tesco couldn't get their trucks to be able to deliver around the building because the roads are too tight and the delivery entrance down the side alley is too small for any truck to get down. So the only way for them to deliver is stop in main road . Drag pallets down side alley while holding up all the traffic. Not really an option...

If they didn't put in a footpath wider than the street and pitiful loading bays that one van car barely squeeze into it would have been fine for any shop, that's the problem with this town and exactly the same problem is not showing face in William street, one lane is now continuously being blocked by people parking to either do delivers or drop some1 off as the footpaths are so wide, my opinion of the footpaths is not for safety or to reduce traffic using the roads but as an a plot by the council to enable them to allow more coffee shops put more seats out on the street raising them even more money...what they don't realize is...if u can park to get something or do a delivery then footfall wont happen in the first place which is exactly what is happening all over town, and why the likes of the Cresent and the Parkway are gaining stores....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

A number of the local stores did lodge objections to it, namely the nearby grocery stores and at least one off licence.

What it did do though is make a joke of the claim made by certain councillors that there were a number of high profile retailers all vying for that building.

As with most of the claims made by councillors about new retailers coming in, it turned out to be the stuff of fantasy.

Kess73 wrote: »
    A number of the local stores did lodge objections to it, namely the nearby grocery stores and at least one off licence.

What it did do though is make a joke of the claim made by certain councillors that there were a number of high profile retailers all vying for that building.

As with most of the claims made by councillors about new retailers coming in, it turned out to be the stuff of fantasy.

Im sure they did as they cant stand the competition, and instead as u said the building is nothing but a waste, Im glad the Italian restaurant and hairdressers further up stuck together and refused to go as we would have an even bigger waste of space on one of our main streets.

• Advertisement

the building is not suitable unless you drastically change it. In my opinion unless you add a 2nd floor its not big enough.

Advertisement