Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second build as my first is dead :(

Options
  • 02-10-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hey all,

So my first ever build died a few days ago, I may be able to fix it but am itching to get new shiny gear for myself. I am an architect so i render a bit using 3d software(cinema 4d,sketchup,archicad etc.) I also love my games so want a pretty good set up and not too shy with the budget.

1. What is your budget? up to €1200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Programs mentioned/Games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Some of it,but if not, I'm happy to replace them.

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Not sure, but no

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Sure

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser, all of the above

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No

really fancied this lot as a bundle:

- CPU: Intel Core 3820 3.60GHz @ 4.40GHz CPU
    - Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Intel PRO X79
    - RAM: Samsung Green 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Quad Channel
    - Cooler: Prolimatech Armageddon CPU Cooler w/ x2 Noiseblocker PLPS 120mm Fans

and this as a graphics card:
    -MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

I'm hoping to re-use the 650 watt corsair psu I have and the case (Coolermaster Centurion 534) I've got too.

That's it, hope you can gimme an opinion if i'm spending wisely or if there are better options out there.

Really appreciate it

jimjim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

LGA 2011 is a waste of money. Unless you really need 6 cores. The quad cores certainly aren't worth it.

You should be looking at socket 1155 instead. What about the 3770K? It's got hyperthreading and it might help out in those programs so you'd have 8 virtual cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jimjim23

monotype,

thanks very much for getting back to me. I'm getting the overclocked bundles from overclcokers and the lga2011 is on offer and actually works out cheaper. that's why I went for that one.

I'd be happy to provide links if you wanna see.

If you do think think the lga2011 is overkill i'd happily settle for a cheaper bundle with an i5 processor.

but lemme know what you think

ta

Yeah, link away and we'll see if it's worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jimjim23

Ok, so after some deliberation I've decdided to go for something cheaper.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-112-OE

the i5 will do for what I need and more I reckon and I like Asus boards.

as for the graphics card i thought this seemed really good for gaming

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-172-MS

as for everything else im not so sure but its pretty standard and I can pick quickly enogh

cheers!

3570K - £179.99
    P8Z77-V LX - £84.98
    Samsung Green 8GB - £47.99
    Zalman CNPS14X - £34.99
    Total = 347.95

Bundle price is £397.97.

So not great value. £50 is a bit expensive for an overclock. That RAM is really overpriced too. Double what it should be. Timings are a bit higher than I'd be expecting too.

I do think that the 3570K or the 3770K would be the way to go. 3770K only if you're a heavy user and can use the hyperthreading in you programs.

The 660ti is a good card but I'm too tired to check if that's good value right now. Lately the price drops of the 7950s are making them worthwhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement