Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto- Register Today

Options
  • 02-10-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto starts today-Registration for the DV-2014 Program is not yet open. Online registration will begin on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), and conclude on Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4). See the DV Instructions webpage for the DV 2014 Instructions and any available translations.
    https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

Good luck to anyone giving it a go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

I'm interested in applying for this.

This is probably a very stupid question but is there anything to increase your odds of getting this? applying twice? type of profession?

Also, what are the odds of a person getting this?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

Site appears to have crashed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

superfrank wrote: »
    I'm interested in applying for this.

This is probably a very stupid question but is there anything to increase your odds of getting this? applying twice? type of profession?

Also, what are the odds of a person getting this?

Thanks in advance :)

No way of increasing your odds. I think applying twice may disqualify you. But if you are married, your wife can apply to and if either of you win, the spouse can come along.

As long as you meet the minimum requirements (highschool equivalent education, no major criminal conviction etc), and can show you can financially support yourself until you find a job over there, you have as much of a chance as anyone else.

The odds depend on how many people apply in your region, so changes each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm applying for this in about an hour :) Canni wait

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Adrianno28

Hope it went well I did mine too!

• Advertisement

Theres no way to increase your odds.. if you apply twice your disqualified! Hope it goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

My aunt won this lottery around 18 years ago. Happy out living in NY ever since.

It is doable but if you get any little detail incorrect your application is disqualified and they don't tell you if your application gets disqualified which is quite annoying.

I think with the application I filled out yesterday it'd be hard to get something wrong, unless you forget to list children or something (I don't have any so happy days). I HATE my pic in 600x600, it makes me look like blimp lady. I hope they cop it is their stupid pic requirements that make me that fat and NOT that I am that fat :)

I put down highest level of education attained as Vocational cos I wasn't sure what THEY meant by some college courses. I think one of the things I did was a 'some college course' but their opinion of what constitutes and mine could be different and I figured I would be better ticking the lower box, then in interview when I bring my certs they can decide for themselves if it should have been higher. But if I had ticked higher and then in the interview they were like 'you haven't done some college courses' it could be seen as lying/mis-representing myself and count against me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

hdowney wrote: »

I put down highest level of education attained as Vocational cos I wasn't sure what THEY meant by some college courses. I think one of the things I did was a 'some college course' but their opinion of what constitutes and mine could be different and I figured I would be better ticking the lower box, then in interview when I bring my certs they can decide for themselves if it should have been higher. But if I had ticked higher and then in the interview they were like 'you haven't done some college courses' it could be seen as lying/mis-representing myself and count against me

I bet that whats going to mess it up for me. I did a 1 year sound engineering plc course, but the small print on the application was going on about vocational courses not being enough or something so I just picked high school degree instead of vocational.

I bet that whats going to mess it up for me. I did a 1 year sound engineering plc course, but the small print on the application was going on about vocational courses not being enough or something so I just picked high school degree instead of vocational.

I think vocational courses were not enough if you hadn't got a high school diploma? Can someone clarify this for me cos now I am worried. I ticked vocational to cover the level 5 plc and level 6 I did, so surely they will know that by ticking vocational I have progressed on from my high school dip and gotten MORE quals??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Dont get to hung up on your education untill you actually get selected.They randomly select 100,000.
    Once you are filling out the forms it goes into more detail and you write down what education levels you have done.

Palmy wrote: »
    Dont get to hung up on your education untill you actually get selected.They randomly select 100,000.
    Once you are filling out the forms it goes into more detail and you write down what education levels you have done.

Oh thank the heck for that.

Wait so do they randomly select more than they have visas for? Interesting

It actually costs money once you are selected.I paid around €300 for the medical,$975 USD On the day of the interview (All this is non refundable)even if they do not get selected.Plus little things like getting certs,gettting the right size envelopes..etc..Plus you will need at least about $10,000-$12,000 in assets or in your bank account (and show proof of this,bank statements etc)This is why they select 100,000 people as alot of people wont have this kind of money.Once you get the Visa in your passport you have to activaite it within 6 months.Then after that you can come back for no more than 11 months, to move permanently.If you stay out of the country longer they can take the greencard off you.

It actually costs money once you are selected.I paid around €300 for the medical,$975 USD On the day of the interview (All this is non refundable)even if they do not get selected.Plus little things like getting certs,gettting the right size envelopes..etc..Plus you will need at least about $10,000-$12,000 in assets or in your bank account (and show proof of this,bank statements etc)This is why they select 100,000 people as alot of people wont have this kind of money.Once you get the Visa in your passport you have to activaite it within 6 months.Then after that you can come back for no more than 11 months, to move permanently.If you stay out of the country longer they can take the greencard off you.

Crikey, the non-refundable thing surprises me. Most applications I know of, like Canada etc the money is refundable if you are not successful. That is a lot of money to be non-refundable

YUUP Alot of money to put down.As long as you have been honest and have the money.Once you get to the interview stage and show proof of everything, its pretty much in the bag.They just need to see proof of what you are saying is correct.

Obviously there are a lot of varying factors as to when, but approximately how long did it take for you to get your interview? Tryin to work out a guesstimate of months to make sure I have the funding requirement (as I said I know the variables are well variable but!)

Registered Nov 08,I got my letter and paper work in April 09(they used to send you it).Sent off all my paper work to the States around May 09.Got a letter late Dec 09 (but was dated Oct 09 )for interview at U.S Embassey Mid Jan 10.Went out in August 10 to look around.Came back late Sept 10.
    Went back out for good Aug 11.

About a year or so then before your interview. Do you have to declare your assets/ how much money is in your bank acc in your paperwork?

Also the whole Job offer thing - providing evidence of a job offer at interview - do you know of many who did this? I would think it'd be difficult to apply for jobs and the like when you don't know when you'll be called for interview etc

You dont have to show them proof of Assets or money in your Bank account untill you are interviewed.You also dont need a job offer either.
    The money and assets you will show them at the interview is pretty much, I have enough money to live on untill i can find a job kind of thing.I moved here and it took me nearly four months to find a job.

Cool sorry to be a hound. Did they specify that it should be in the $10,000 - $12,000 dollar range or could you have slightly less than that in your bank acc? Say around $8000 - $9000?

• Advertisement

If you have $8000-$9000 in your bank and have assets like a car etc (things you can sell) you should be ok.Just make sure you can show them six months statements with the money in your account.

If you have $8000-$9000 in your bank and have assets like a car etc (things you can sell) you should be ok.Just make sure you can show them six months statements with the money in your account.

At the mo I have two cars, not sure either are worth a whole heap!!! As to the bank statements, does the $8-9000 have to be in your account for those entire 6mths or can you show that you built it up over time so as to have the money to support yourself?

I am also wondering whether to use my bank acc with my direct debits going out, or perhaps open another bank account just for savings (I'd rather keep the money seperate, and I have a credit union account, but I don't know that they issue statments!)

You could show them all your accounts.Building up money is def a good idea though.They want to just see you didn't just borrow money for a few days and that it actually is your money.

Cheers for all the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

hdowney wrote: »

Also the whole Job offer thing - providing evidence of a job offer at interview - do you know of many who did this? I would think it'd be difficult to apply for jobs and the like when you don't know when you'll be called for interview etc

You don't have to have a job (or even a job interview or offer) to facilitate your getting a Green Card. Obviously having one would help, but it is not mandatory. The presumption being that once you move to the US legally, and are legally able to work, you then look for work itself. They don't have a problem with that as long as you can prove that you can support yourself for a period of time while you look for work.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You don't have to have a job (or even a job interview or offer) to facilitate your getting a Green Card. Obviously having one would help, but it is not mandatory. The presumption being that once you move to the US legally, and are legally able to work, you then look for work itself. They don't have a problem with that as long as you can prove that you can support yourself for a period of time while you look for work.

That is good to know. I did think that it would be so weird and hard to look for jobs and try to secure an offer when you had no clue as to when or if you'd get interview/accepted!

@Palmy Can I ask how (and possibly why and stuff - feel free to tell me to p off if I am being nosy!) it worked with you going over for like a month or so then coming home for 11 months? I presume one of the reasons you went over when you did was to validate the green card within the 6mth time limit? Did you come home to get everything sorted etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Registered Nov 08,I got my letter and paper work in April 09(they used to send you it).Sent off all my paper work to the States around May 09.Got a letter late Dec 09 (but was dated Oct 09 )for interview at U.S Embassey Mid Jan 10.Went out in August 10 to look around.Came back late Sept 10.
    Went back out for good Aug 11.

So for those of us who applied for the 2013 programme and got rejected but who are waiting for the 22 October the timeline could be tight. Conceivably if successful the interview could be in January where there is no way anybody could reasonably be expected to have $12,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

I got mine last year and never had to prove id $10k in the bank. Cost me $395 for the medical, $330 for the interview, $175 for the police check, done it all in Sydney though.

SO if I get selected I have to have $12,000? didnt know that!???

• Advertisement

whatever73 wrote: »
    I got mine last year and never had to prove id $10k in the bank. Cost me $395 for the medical, $330 for the interview, $175 for the police check, done it all in Sydney though.

Confused. Why does the police check cost money. I thought you went to the cops and got a cert, same as you do for Canada and the like, and that doesn't cost money afaik
    Adrianno28 wrote: »
    SO if I get selected I have to have $12,000? didnt know that!???

Makes sense to save hard though. Even if they don't ask you to prove you have the funds, best to have as much money to support yourself heading over. Like in getting accom/tiding you over til you get a job etc

Advertisement