Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto- Register Today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

hdowney wrote: »
    Confused. Why does the police check cost money. I thought you went to the cops and got a cert, same as you do for Canada and the like, and that doesn't cost money afaik

He went through Sidney, and so likely had to get a Aussie cert. I had to get a Swiss one (you need one for every place you lived for more than 6 months after age 16) which cost 40 euro, some countries charge. The Irish one is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

silja wrote: »
    He went through Sidney, and so likely had to get a Aussie cert. I had to get a Swiss one (you need one for every place you lived for more than 6 months after age 16) which cost 40 euro, some countries charge. The Irish one is free.

:o:o Now see if I was awake I would have caught that!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

Once you get Greencard, how do you become permanent resident? What's the process? Anybody know? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

JJLongford wrote: »
    Once you get Greencard, how do you become permanent resident? What's the process? Anybody know? Thanks.

Once you have the green card you are a permanent resident. If you're successful at the interview stage at the DV lottery, all you need to do is travel to the US within 6 months to activate the green card and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

Confused. Why does the police check cost money. I thought you went to the cops and got a cert, same as you do for Canada and the like, and that doesn't cost money afaik

Makes sense to save hard though. Even if they don't ask you to prove you have the funds, best to have as much money to support yourself heading over. Like in getting accom/tiding you over til you get a job etc

Garda check was free but had to pay the New South Wales police $175 to take my finger prints and press print on their computer, Australia is massive rip off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tamoreit wrote: »
    Once you have the green card you are a permanent resident. If you're successful at the interview stage at the DV lottery, all you need to do is travel to the US within 6 months to activate the green card and that's it.

Yep. The green card is not actually called the green card, not officially anyway. It's proper legal name is The Permanent Residency Card. It is commonly referred to as a green card because back in the day, the actual cards used to have a greenish tinge to them, so the nick name stuck.

If you are awarded one, you'll have paperwork stating your entitlement to residency status. I think its a stamp in your passport. (I got mine 18 years ago, so my memory on the process is a little fuzzy.) When you get to the airport, you'll be processed in a special area. They review your paperwork, take your medical stuff from you, ask for an address to send your green card to, and then send you on your merry way.

The card itself arrives in the post a few weeks later. That is what you present at the airport whenever you leave the US, and you want to get back in again. It was all very easy and uncomplicated really when I was doing it. The only hassle I experienced was that looking for work in that 2/3 week time frame (before the card came) was hampered by the fact that I didn't actually have the green card in my hand at that time to show to prospective employers to prove that I was legally entitled to live and work in the country. So some of them didn't want to know me. But once the card came in the post, there was no stopping me.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yep. The green card is not actually called the green card, not officially anyway. It's proper legal name is The Permanent Residency Card. It is commonly referred to as a green card because back in the day, the actual cards used to have a greenish tinge to them, so the nick name stuck.

If you are awarded one, you'll have paperwork stating your entitlement to residency status. I think its a stamp in your passport. (I got mine 18 years ago, so my memory on the process is a little fuzzy.) When you get to the airport, you'll be processed in a special area. They review your paperwork, take your medical stuff from you, ask for an address to send your green card to, and then send you on your merry way.

The card itself arrives in the post a few weeks later. That is what you present at the airport whenever you leave the US, and you want to get back in again. It was all very easy and uncomplicated really when I was doing it. The only hassle I experienced was that looking for work in that 2/3 week time frame (before the card came) was hampered by the fact that I didn't actually have the green card in my hand at that time to show to prospective employers to prove that I was legally entitled to live and work in the country. So some of them didn't want to know me. But once the card came in the post, there was no stopping me.

What happens if you don't have an american address to get it sent to, when you are leaving the first time and they ask you. Like I was thinking of going over for a month or so - to validate the thing within the timeframe, then coming home for a while before going over again. could i get it sent to my irish address, and then, when i am coming home the first time, will i get out easy enough? and then back in on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 enomis

Hi there,

I'm interested in applying for visa for this round - and I have one very quick question -

I am engaged to my other half, we live together but have no marriage plans as of yet... is he my spouse as far as application question on the Visa is concerned or does he have to apply on his own and therefore we risk one of us getting it and not the other?

Many thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

hdowney: You will get in and out fine, but you need a US address for the greencard. Maybe a friend or family member? Not sure but at a push you could maybe take out a P.O Box... sometimes they don't send official documents to such places.

Enomis: Only legally married counts. If one of you gets it and the other does not, you can get legally married between winning and the interview and you both can benefit.

Shoot. That could pose a problem. I'll have to think that one through

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I just stuck in my application there. It's my third time applying. I don't expect to get a green card but if you're not in you can't win and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Shoot. That could pose a problem. I'll have to think that one through

If it's any help, my OH got a Green Card through this process, and we didn't have a US address to give when we travelled to the US to activate the visa. He "bought" a PO Box through a mail forwarding service which worked fine. He got an email from the company when the green card (and a few other documents) arrived and then paid to have them forwarded.

senelra wrote: »
    If it's any help, my OH got a Green Card through this process, and we didn't have a US address to give when we travelled to the US to activate the visa. He "bought" a PO Box through a mail forwarding service which worked fine. He got an email from the company when the green card (and a few other documents) arrived and then paid to have them forwarded.

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

There is a question on the application"City where you were born"
    What should be put in for this if you weren't born in a city? Just the town or county maybe? On my passport it has my county as place of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

There is a question on the application"City where you were born"
    What should be put in for this if you weren't born in a city? Just the town or county maybe? On my passport it has my county as place of birth.

I just put in my county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

superfrank wrote: »
    I just put in my county

Thanks superfrank.

Advertisement