Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear NAS question

Options
  • 02-10-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but couldnt see anything better

I've had a netgear stora MS2000 for a while now. It has a 500GB hard drive at present although its getting full, it has two bays and I'm only using 1, so I'm looking to utilise the other.

I've a few options, but I'm just trying to find out the max storage per bay, as the official website sites it as discontinued so no specs really.

My options are the following (slashes denote using two bays)

500Gb/500GB
    500GB/2TB
    500GB/1TB
    2TB

I'd like to go with option 2, as a 2TB drive is only €70, and getting two 1TB's is going to cost €120 which makes no sense.

So , if anyone knows the max storage per bay, I can make an informed decision :)

541068.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know the answer to your question re: this NAS, but what I'd like to know is where you're finding a 2TB drive for only €70!! €115 or thereabouts is more like what I'm seeing at the moment, and €70 is more like the prices they were before the Thailand floods made prices go through the roof last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to your question re: this NAS, but what I'd like to know is where you're finding a 2TB drive for only €70!! €115 or thereabouts is more like what I'm seeing at the moment, and €70 is more like the prices they were before the Thailand floods made prices go through the roof last year.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-255-SE

Comes in at €80 and I've a few discount vouchers from previous orders ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah, I've been concentrating on 5900rpm green drives mainly due to noise and power consumption concerns. They're still coming in at over €100 on overclockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Alun wrote: »
    Ah, I've been concentrating on 5900rpm green drives mainly due to noise and power consumption concerns. They're still coming in at over €100 on overclockers.

Yeah, I dont really give a **** about the "green" stuff thats been touted about, I dont see it being worth an extra €30-50 in most cases.

But most of the "normal" HD's are coming back to a reasonable price

Advertisement