Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad mini 17th October release ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

I cant see where this will fit into apples range. You have the itouch at€329 the iPad 2 at €399 and the iPad at €479.

Does it mean they will kill off the iPad 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Seems pointless to me, particularly now that the iPhone and touch have larger (slightly!) screens now. I'm sure Apple will find a niche for it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I would consider it. I'm getting rid of my iPad, but a smaller version that would fit in a handbag and be comfortable to hold could convince me to just switch. Yes, the iPod touch is both of those things but my eyes aren't great and I struggle with the iPhone at times so a medium size screen might be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Urrghh

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

To be honest you cannot give an opinion about apple / android without being branded a fanboy.

Every device I owe is from Apple. I have a sweet little setup with my phone / imac / apple tv and ipad but recently I feel like a cow that has been milked once to often.

My ipad 2 was close to €700 and within months they made the device obsolete. I have a 27 inch cinema display, an expensive monitor that lays idle most of the time thanks to apple locking the hardware to certain products.

The products are still cool but more so than ever Apple are coining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

cuilteanna wrote: »
    I would consider it. I'm getting rid of my iPad, but a smaller version that would fit in a handbag and be comfortable to hold could convince me to just switch. Yes, the iPod touch is both of those things but my eyes aren't great and I struggle with the iPhone at times so a medium size screen might be good.

And that's exactly the answer I got when I asked the question at home, so maybe for handbags & business folders where the iPad is too cumbersome and the iPhone too small.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The current iPad is also pretty heavy.

I assume the with the mini they'll be striving to make it light enough to hold in one hand for longer than a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The only reason for them to release a mini is the cost. Any thing higher than 300 and it wouldn't seem worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

Kenno90 wrote: »
    The only reason for them to release a mini is the cost. Any thing higher than 300 and it wouldn't seem worth it

But at that price you undercut the touch. I can see a need to compete against the nexus 7 but something in the apple range must give for this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

I guess the iPad 2 will go. Personally speaking I liked that there was a cut price iPad out there that wasn't the latest and greatest but wasn't a slouch either. I think a Mini, while nice, is small as well. How certain are we that this is happening though and that they won't end up just announcing an iMac refresh? I know there's parts being leaked but they're only rumours for now.

I don't think they'll be getting rid of the iPad 2.

Not everyone in the cheaper end of the market wants a mini screen to go with the mini price I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

T-K-O wrote: »
    To be honest you cannot give an opinion about apple / android without being branded a fanboy.

Every device I owe is from Apple. I have a sweet little setup with my phone / imac / apple tv and ipad but recently I feel like a cow that has been milked once to often.

My ipad 2 was close to €700 and within months they made the device obsolete. I have a 27 inch cinema display, an expensive monitor that lays idle most of the time thanks to apple locking the hardware to certain products.

The products are still cool but more so than ever Apple are coining it.

Sorry but they released the iPad 3 a year later and your iPad 2 is not obsolete, as you can still buy one and I assume yours still works.

You don't have to buy every product they release you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that the Mini will be a Kindle competitor, as in a dedicated e-Reader. This is based on a few observations:

1) Apple have been trying to get into "reading" for years. Exhibit A - iBooks
    2) One of the reasons Amazon's Kindle is so successful is that the content is plentiful and easy to get. With the iBookstore and Newsstand, Apple are the only company who can compete content-wise
    3) The iPad regular is deadly but it can be awkward to read on, especially at night. My missus' Kindle is a much nicer reading device.
    4) A mini reading device would not cannibalise iPad sales. It would also clearly distinguish it from the iPod Touch.

The mini in this scenario would have a limited App set and perhaps an e-Ink screen, as opposed to colour backlit LCD.

Of course, this pure speculation. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'll certainly agree with you regarding the eInk and battery life.

Dropbox is your friend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

Mini Ipad, Maybe it will be a Newton :pac:

• Advertisement

It's not an e-reader unless it has an e-ink screen and there's no way in hell Apple are releasing a mini iPad with an e-ink screen.

They could claim its a reader like Amazon do with the kindle, but tbh they'll just sell it as a smaller, lighter, cheaper iPad, which is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hope this is true, might treat myself for my birthday price pending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

These rumours have been around since before the original iPad was released. And every year they turn out to be false. But this time around they seem to be really pushing it, posting purported part leaks and cases. I'd say if it was ever gonna be true then it's this year. Still seems strange that they'd release it so close to the iPhone and not alongside the new iPad in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm guessing prices will start around €300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

curly.bert wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that the Mini will be a Kindle competitor, as in a dedicated e-Reader. This is based on a few observations:

1) Apple have been trying to get into "reading" for years. Exhibit A - iBooks
    2) One of the reasons Amazon's Kindle is so successful is that the content is plentiful and easy to get. With the iBookstore and Newsstand, Apple are the only company who can compete content-wise
    3) The iPad regular is deadly but it can be awkward to read on, especially at night. My missus' Kindle is a much nicer reading device.
    4) A mini reading device would not cannibalise iPad sales. It would also clearly distinguish it from the iPod Touch.

The mini in this scenario would have a limited App set and perhaps an e-Ink screen, as opposed to colour backlit LCD.

Of course, this pure speculation. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Isn't the Kindle HD due out soon ? If you're right this would pitch directly against it but with heaps more functionality

DubDJ wrote: »
    Still seems strange that they'd release it so close to the iPhone and not alongside the new iPad in March.
    Santa-Ipad-Tree.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

We've had this discussion previously in another thread. Really iPad is king of the hill at the moment and although other manufacturers are in the market space their share is negligible. To differentiate they (I'm really talking Andriod), got into the 7 inch zone and Apple have no products in that space. They are expected to enter and their pricing needs to be competitive although they'll still be the most expensive, I'd expect about a 70 euro premium over the Nexus 7 tablet.

For Apple to differentiate there will be some sacrifices that will be labelled as enabling cost reductions but in reality will be held back for version 2. This is rumoured already as the screen. With the iPhone 4 came the retina (high pixel density) screen, this was included with the new iPad and again included with the new Macbook range too. It's a progressive technology and eventually all screens will feature similar high pixel density screens. It's a great feature on the new iPad and really shows off the display ability of that device to great effect. Some people reckon it's not worth the extra cost over the iPad 2, I believe this is down to how you use the device. So, to retain the high premium for the new iPad and introduce a smaller device in the related space Apple are rumoured to use the same lower pixel density screen thats in the iPad 2. A non-retina display. The expectation is that the screen now being physically smaller will show good quality representation of images. In my opinion, that sucks and I hope it's untrue but I do expect it. Moving back to non-retina display for a device that is being introduced as an ideally sized ebook reader is rather unfortunate. That said until it's experienced we just won't know. Other potential limiters are the memory capacity, iPads go to 64GB. Another way to differentiate the products would be to limit the memory to a max of 32GB for example. If you need more, you'll be having the big brother. Further rumours extend to the processing power being the same as the iPad 2, an older chip, with newer refinements rather than the newer chips used in the new iPad or iPhone 5.

I had the original iPad and while I liked and enjoyed it, I felt it was too big and too heavy, carrying it was that little bit awkward but it was still a great device. I skipped on the iPad 2, and got the new iPad which was a marked improvement in performance and display technology and the cameras but was to me, just as heavy as the original. I'd lie on the couch and prop it on my chest while using it and it would feel it was digging into me, even through it's case. I was hoping for the physically smaller one and I'll look forward to seeing what happens.

I'm particularly interested in the aspect ratio as for me these are great video playing devices and would be one of my main uses.

The rumours suggest an event to be held on the 17th with the release about a week or two after. It will be an interesting tech filled Christmas and holiday season.

i just obught a nexus 7 for 239 16gb im happy with it for watching my tv shows at night in bed instead of the ol labtop wish i waited to see what the price was knowing apple 300 + so i made the right decission

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Isn't the Kindle HD due out soon ? If you're right this would pitch directly against it but with heaps more functionality

Yup, the new Kindle Fire HD is just out.

But just imagine an eInk Apple Reader for a second. This thread is all pure speculation anyway. We'll know one way or the other come the end of next week.

Advertisement