Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad mini 17th October release ?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

curly.bert wrote: »
    But just imagine an eInk Apple Reader for a second.
    Do Apple really need to be in this space?

Foremost and only function of an e-reader: to make it seem like you're reading a book. Something $99 devices do perfectly well already. Not sure what Apple could bring to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Dades wrote: »

Apple went from having 81% of the tablet market last august to 52% this august with amazon now at 21% and that's without the new kindle fire 7 and 8.9 tablets taken into consideration which will erode a lot more of Apple's market share so I'd say apple are worried about this especially the 8.9 tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As justsomebloke says, Apple may be concerned that the Kindle Fire will start eating into their lower-range iPad sales.

They "created" the tablet market as the halfway device between the phone and the laptop, but seem to have dismissed the idea that people might like a device halfway between the tablet and the phone, even though the rumours started pretty much as soon as the original iPad was released.

Certainly I've found myself agonising over a tablet - I think I would rather spend iPad-level money on a good laptop rather than an iPad. But a good tablet in the €150-€200 range is more tempting, even if the screen is smaller.

Can't see Apple launching a tablet below €300 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think the 7" tablet is the sweetspot, having owned an iPad 1, then a HP Touchpad and now a Nexus 7.

I like the added portability of 7", ease of holding etc. and I don't think I lose out at all on reading, surfing or watching movies on the reduced screen size.

Price is important though and the sub 250 yoyo pricepoint is the place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Im gonna call it at 349, same resolution as an ipad 2 with higher desity dues to smaller screen (7.85 inch). I dont think apple want to go throwing another set of dimensions in to the pot for app developers. I dont see them calling it the ipad mini. The iPad air sounds unlickly too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Im gonna call it at 349, same resolution as an ipad 2 with higher desity dues to smaller screen (7.85 inch). I dont think apple want to go throwing another set of dimensions in to the pot for app developers. I dont see them calling it the ipad mini. The iPad air sounds unlickly too.

Ipad nano?

reckon 3-400 for the range, 16-32 gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Tazium wrote: »
    Great render at the end there showing the theoretical size differential between the three iDevices:
    xlarge.jpg
    If your primary concern is just browsing the web and firing off emails, the smaller iPad could really be the big seller - it has 3 to 4 times the screen area of the iPhone, but theoretically without the heft of the iPad. Battery life should be better too.

Edit: a 7.85" 4:3 screen is 4.33 times larger than a 4" 16:9 screen, but only 30% smaller than the full iPad. Not too shabby.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Apple went from having 81% of the tablet market last august to 52% this august with amazon now at 21% and that's without the new kindle fire 7 and 8.9 tablets taken into consideration which will erode a lot more of Apple's market share so I'd say apple are worried about this especially the 8.9 tablet
    I wasn't talking about tablets - I was talking about eReaders. Apple doesn't make an eReader. :)

The Kindle Fire/HD etc are tablets which is the market Apple are trying recoup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Has an event actually been announced or is it just rumours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

I wasn't talking about tablets - I was talking about eReaders. Apple doesn't make an eReader. :)

The Kindle Fire/HD etc are tablets which is the market Apple are trying recoup.

The new Kindle Paperlight model sold out instantly and there's now a 6-week lead time on orders. A cheap reading iDevice would be a nice gateway gadget into the Apple ecosystem.

If the Mini arrives, it'll probably be a 7" iPad with a colour LCD screen priced around 300. That's the likely option. However, a 100 dollar/euro/etc eInk device linked into Apple's growing reading ecosystem (IBooks,Newsstand), well now - that'd be a joker in the pack.

So when today will we know if the invites went out?
    Want to know if this is real!

Jimdagym wrote: »
    So when today will we know if the invites went out?
    Want to know if this is real!
    Would usually be A.M. San Francisco time. If there's no news by 5pm, then it's probably not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

Well that was a total bust. Normally I take rumours with a pinch of salt but I got suckered into this one such was the traction it had gained. I seriously think it's time analysts and other prophetic types were told to collectively fúck off because, while some rumours are fairly accurate, an awful lot of ****e gets talked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

squonk wrote: »
    Well that was a total bust. Normally I take rumours with a pinch of salt but I got suckered into this one such was the traction it had gained. I seriously think it's time analysts and other prophetic types were told to collectively fúck off because, while some rumours are fairly accurate, an awful lot of ****e gets talked as well.

I'm disappointed myself but I think it's too soon to give up on it. Hang in another week and see what falls from the apple tree then.

I agree, I wont give up just yet. A lot of rumours say Nov 2nd for sale.
    Time will tell.

Please be TRUE!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

from engadget.com :

€249 buys an 8GB model, €349 snags 16GB, €449 for 32GB and €549 scores 64GB of storage. Looking for a slab with cellular connectivity? Stack an extra €100 on each of those prices.

isnt apple now getting mighty cramped with the ipad2 pricing ?
    I still have an ipad 1 , but if apple are gonna stop support every 3 years for their devices , then I'll stay at the cheaper end of the pool.I just cant afford to drop €400 on an ipad every 2nd year and €6-700 on a phone on the inbetween years.

Full link : http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/14/apple-ipad-mini-price-models/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Looks like this is a runner with the invites going out yesterday evening. €100 seems a big price difference between the 8 GB and 16 GB models though, for just an extra 8 GB of storage space - would a €50 price difference between the two not be more appropriate, similar to the Nexus 7?

Advertisement