Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite installers - any recommendations.

Options
  • 02-10-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi,

With the end of my NTL analogue service I need to get a Freeview/ saorview service... need 4-5 points, has anyone got any recommendations for satellite installers.?

Thank you..

Comments

Eh, the digital switchoff shouldn't effect UPC/NTL network.

If you're on UPC, you shouldn't need satellite. I assume you mean you are using an aerial currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

eddie wrote: »
    Hi,

With the end of my NTL analogue service I need to get a Freeview/ saorview service... need 4-5 points, has anyone got any recommendations for satellite installers.?

Thank you..

How much do you currently pay per month for your service?
    How many channels do you currently receive?

Above questions aside, if you subscribe to any UPC/SKY package you will NOT need to do anything prior to digital switch over. Your services will be unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

Eh, the digital switchoff shouldn't effect UPC/NTL network.

If you're on UPC, you shouldn't need satellite. I assume you mean you are using an aerial currently?

Ehhh I know that... the analogue service ends, the digital service will double the monthly cost as I need a decoder per room.... not needed on the analogue system.. so I have decided to go satellite. I do not want to be paying monthly upwards only costs.. and I have only interest in the basic station and the "saorview stations".

I was hoping also to use the saorsat rather than saorview, but it is on a different satellite ( Newtel 9 degrees East) so that is not a runner and I will need an aerial for the saorview.

I also am not interested in the cheap "combi" boxes on all points.,. I can live with them on 2 but on the other two I want one decent combi with internal HDD PVR facility and on the other a dreambox quality double receiver internal HDD PVR, so it would be helpful to have someone actually know what they are at than a "cable puller".!

So as I say... any recommendations for a satellite installation in Dublin 15.?

Ehhh I know that... the analogue service ends, the digital service will double the monthly cost as I need a decoder per room.... not needed on the analogue system.. so I have decided to go satellite. I do not want to be paying monthly upwards only costs.. and I have only interest in the basic station and the "saorview stations".

I was hoping also to use the saorsat rather than saorview, but it is on a different satellite ( Newtel 9 degrees East) so that is not a runner and I will need an aerial for the saorview.

I also am not interested in the cheap "combi" boxes on all points.,. I can live with them on 2 but on the other two I want one decent combi with internal HDD PVR facility and on the other a dreambox quality double receiver internal HDD PVR, so it would be helpful to have someone actually know what they are at than a "cable puller".!

So as I say... any recommendations for a satellite installation in Dublin 15.?
    I thought you meant you have a UPC cable running into your TV and get something like 16/17 channels?

Thats what I meat by shouldn't be affected by it. I thought at this stage all of UPCs network was digital. I have a cable running into my TV from UPC and get 17 channels from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I live in Clonsilla and I have Saorview and Freesat in one room. The TV has a Saorview tuner and it does not enable me to record. It is about two years old so I have been receiving the Irish digital channels for about 18 months now. The reception quality is excellent.

I bought a Humax freesat box about two years ago on the internet. It has two tuners and has been recording away without any problems. Before this I had Sky and it used cost about 100 euros per month. It is great to have TV of higher reception quality without any running costs apart from the licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

Hi,

Thank you..

upc are not ending their analogue service.

so Ehhh you dont need to do anything, if you are getting upc analogue now then nothing is changing for you.

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/320/kw/analogue%20switch%20off

the only people who might have to make a change are people who are getting rte from an indoor or outdoor aerial

Ehhh I know that... the analogue service ends, the digital service will double the monthly cost as I need a decoder per room.... not needed on the analogue system..

Ehh...it will not double.

You have your facts wrong. My question remains, how much are you currently paying for the service which I guess entails a UPC cable coming into a wall plate and then running directly to the RF point on the back of your TV. Giving you approx 16/17 channels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Smartarsery aside, I think this demonstrates that the scope of the changeover has not been communicated to the viewing public properly, they should have broadcast an 'if', 'then' list as widely as possible

For Eddie and anybody else

24th October sees the end of analogue signal broadcasting. This only requires action by those who receive their TV via an aerial on the roof, or old fashioned 'rabbits ears' on UHF. You will need an upgraded roof aerial and a set top decoder box, or new TV set with Saorview decoding built in

If you receive your TV by a third party supplier, either by satellite or via 'piped' cable television, regardless of whether its UPC digital or UPC 'basic' via a co-axial TV point on the wall, nothing will change for you whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

i noticed on rte 2 the last few days that there was a scrolling message across the screen, telling us that we are not affected by the digital switch-over. I had already known this but for the likes of the elderly and people who are unsure i think its a good idea from UPC.

dodzy wrote: »
    Ehh...it will not double.

You have your facts wrong. My question remains, how much are you currently paying for the service which I guess entails a UPC cable coming into a wall plate and then running directly to the RF point on the back of your TV. Giving you approx 16/17 channels ?

I am paying €25 per month and they have quoted me a "deal" at €45 per month and if I want to record or have HD.. it could be as much as € 75 per month for the basic 75 channels... I have 3 other points in the house.

You may be right in your asseration but to me it looks like more than double..

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    i noticed on rte 2 the last few days that there was a scrolling message across the screen, telling us that we are not affected by the digital switch-over. I had already known this but for the likes of the elderly and people who are unsure i think its a good idea from UPC.

I agree with what you say but I also notice that the reception is very poor from time to time, we are aslo being highly encouraged to" go digital" for a better service.. so sooner or later it IS going to change, so may as well jump now...

I am paying €25 per month and they have quoted me a "deal" at €45 per month and if I want to record or have HD.. it could be as much as € 75 per month for the basic 75 channels... I have 3 other points in the house.

You may be right in your asseration but to me it looks like more than double..
    Again, you have been mis-informed. For your basic pack, with recordable features, will be 26.50 p/mth. Add a fiver for each extra box (if you want, you could just leave the extra points as they are, with the 16 or so channels, and no extra cost ). And add 5 if you want HD., nowhere near the 75 quid you referred to.

UPC however do charge a once off installation fee. There is a large thread on bargain alerts regarding UPC and new services, entitling customers to a voucher. Have a look.

Again, you have been mis-informed. For your basic pack, with recordable features, will be 26.50 p/mth. Add a fiver for each extra box (if you want, you could just leave the extra points as they are, with the 16 or so channels, and no extra cost ). And add 5 if you want HD., nowhere near the 75 quid you referred to.

UPC however do charge a once off installation fee. There is a large thread on bargain alerts regarding UPC and new services, entitling customers to a voucher. Have a look.

While pedantically nit-picking you originally said

" Ehh...it will not double. "

now you have seen that it in fact "double" you are now looking at the € 75..

I have no idea why your only contribution is to be provocative and argumentative ( and also factually incorrect)...

But if you having nothing positive or constructive to offer it is generally considered good manners and sign of intellect to say nothing. You obviously do not agree.

I am not interested in entering a demented world where double means triple… you win, you are right, whatever . now please do not turn this thread into a rant as I may get some interesting or worthwhile information from the other posters unless you scare them away with your “Ladybird level” logic.

While pedantically nit-picking you originally said

" Ehh...it will not double. "

now you have seen that it in fact "double" you are now looking at the € 75..

I have no idea why your only contribution is to be provocative and argumentative ( and also factually incorrect)...

But if you having nothing positive or constructive to offer it is generally considered good manners and sign of intellect to say nothing. You obviously do not agree.

I am not interested in entering a demented world where double means triple… you win, you are right, whatever . now please do not turn this thread into a rant as I may get some interesting or worthwhile information from the other posters unless you scare them away with your “Ladybird level” logic.
    Apologies Eddie, i'm just trying to figure out where you are getting the €75+ calculations?

Also, as has been pointed out early in this thread, if you are happy with your current service, you don't need to do anything. Nothing will change in relation to what you currently receive after 24th October.

Apologies Eddie, i'm just trying to figure out where you are getting the €75+ calculations?

Also, as has been pointed out early in this thread, if you are happy with your current service, you don't need to do anything. Nothing will change in relation to what you currently receive after 24th October.

Wayne, I can see that you are now concentrating on the €75.. not the double... as I say that was the upper limit all HD recordabel and up to six connections

The main reason for moving now is that I have no doubt once the "offical" Air cut of date expires, as the then sole provider of the service NTL, ( I am aware other cable / satellite companies may also provide the service ) will capitalise on that position and it will cost me more money and as I say the service / reception lately ( co-incidentally of course ) is quite poor.

I now have a price from a very compentent , and recommended company for 6 points and boxes/ dish / internal wiring etc etc... that gives me a "payback period" of less than 18 months after which I will have no monthly outgoings... Provided I am satisifed after installations ( as I am sure I will be ) I wil have no hesitation in sharing their contact information with the community/

Advertisement