Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weightlifting In Cork

• 02-10-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Looking for a place for weightlifting (that's Olympic weightlifting... propers bars, bumpers plates etc.) in Cork city or surrounding area.

So far all I've found is:

1. The Maradyke arena (equipment not always available plus one of the staff members there will not allow the use of weightlifting bars and plates...plonker)
    2. Crossfit gyms (generally welcoming but not always suitable for training due to opening times, classes, elite, vibrams, inov8s, gas masks, magnitude, rhabdo, drywall, PUA etc.)
    I've also been sent to Fitton's gym off the South Mall for weightlifting but when I got there they had no weightlifting gear at all.

So...does anyone know where has weightlifting facilities in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Few and far between id say. Im looking to get into the powerlifting side of things now and due to my town being a pile of festering ass I have to train at home. I was lucky enough to get advice and a form check from a competing lifter at his private gym but as for commercially available I think there is nothing in Cork :rolleyes:

Dr.Tom wrote: »
    Few and far between id say. Im looking to get into the powerlifting side of things now and due to my town being a pile of festering ass I have to train at home. I was lucky enough to get advice and a form check from a competing lifter at his private gym but as for commercially available I think there is nothing in Cork :rolleyes:

I believe leisureworld in bishopstown will be setting up an area shortly. If you can travel further afield, I have a platform/bar/buimpers in my gym in Midleton,
    Just finished.the level 1 course with weigjtliftogn Ireland and hope to have a club up and running in the next few months.
    Pm me if you want more details, don't think I can post them here, or can I (mods?)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 immigant

Thanks PM sent. Also I got onto leisureworld...no sign of them getting any weightlifting gear anytime soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

What about fitnessworx in douglas, im pretty sure that they cater for weight lifting,

You might need to give them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Does anybody have any experience of the locker room in Washington st? My membership in the river lee is nearly up and I want to move to a gym with better free weights, their website shows lifting platforms & a selection of plates. The only threads on boards are a few years complaining about broken machines & people constantly chatting like a social club, neither of which would be of much bother to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

I was a member in locker room few years ago , ok and nice staff but limited space wise.

Im in same boat ,looking for gym in cork since transformation closed in fermoy - best i have found weight wise is planet leisure on old mallow road with membership for 420, had a look at gym in mayfield but wasnt as great.

Cant believe there isnt more gyms in cork ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Thanks Shaka, it seems a step up from RL anyway so I'll give it a bit more thought. Not driving leaves me fairly limited with choice, like you said there should be more gyms given the size of the city!

If you find anything post it here, still unsure what I'll do.

Definitely think there is business opportunity in cork for proper weights gym , there is few in limerick which is way smaller than cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

The official contact for Weightlifting Ireland in cork is a guy called Mark McManus. I'm not sure if he has a gym down there or what, I was only told to forward people on to him. PM me if you want his details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Dead Ed wrote: »
    The official contact for Weightlifting Ireland in cork is a guy called Mark McManus. I'm not sure if he has a gym down there or what, I was only told to forward people on to him. PM me if you want his details.

He works or manages in Leisureworld in Bishopstown.

• Advertisement

shaka wrote: »
    If you find anything post it here, still unsure what I'll do.

Definitely think there is business opportunity in cork for proper weights gym , there is few in limerick which is way smaller than cork.

We're on it, don't worry....myself and a partner are negotiating lease on premises at the moment, and have plans for a proper strength and conditioning facility. Have plans for 3 lifting platforms, minimum and some other toys as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We're on it, don't worry....myself and a partner are negotiating lease on premises at the moment, and have plans for a proper strength and conditioning facility. Have plans for 3 lifting platforms, minimum and some other toys as well :D

Get it done!

Good stuff let us know where and when

Good stuff let us know where and when

We're currently working from Midleton - www.trainstationgym.com - s&c mixed with boxing/thai boxing clubs, but plans for expansion are underway.

We're currently working from Midleton - www.trainstationgym.com - s&c mixed with boxing/thai boxing clubs, but plans for expansion are underway.

Best of luck with that , is your expansion planned for cork or Midleton ?

Best of luck with that , is your expansion planned for cork or Midleton ?

It'll still be midleton.....we have a fairly busy thai boxing gym with a few pro and amateur fighters already, and the boxing is growing by the session having affiliated with the IABA so our roots are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Thai Boxer

Guys, the Irish Inter-provincial and Club Championships are taking place on Saturday 20th October in the Ballyphehane Community Centre, Cork. It is hosted/ sanctioned by Weightlifting Ireland and will involve lifters from all over the country.
    This would be a good opportunity for those interested to find out more about weightlifting in Cork and to see some top notch lifting.

I'll be there.....lifting in the smallies division (-69kg) at 3 on Saturday.

best of luck with that but its a cork city location that i think imigrant was looking for, same here your just bit too far out of my way

best of luck with that but its a cork city location that i think imigrant was looking for, same here your just bit too far out of my way

Thanks very much. I was in touch with imigrant via pm as well, so that's all sorted.
    It's a shame there's not many options around the city for oly lifting. Great opportunity there for somebody with the drive to set up along the lines of east coast barbell or the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Does the Bull and Fiddle Fitness in Ballyphehane have those big weights?

Never been there,,but seems to be popular enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Thai Boxer wrote: »
    Guys, the Irish Inter-provincial and Club Championships are taking place on Saturday 20th October in the Ballyphehane Community Centre, Cork. It is hosted/ sanctioned by Weightlifting Ireland and will involve lifters from all over the country.
    This would be a good opportunity for those interested to find out more about weightlifting in Cork and to see some top notch lifting.

What time is this kicking off??

Weigh in is at 9am, first lift scheduled for 11am.

Timetable is attached

Cheers Anthony that might work , how much for membership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

tbh i cant remember but its not too expensive and they do 1 month, 6 month and 12 month memberships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Its ok I know a lot of pedantic pricks, I've learned to tolerate them at this stage

There's a lot more to the gym than you can see in the photos, the owner is big into weight lifting and bodybuilder, has some trophies for single lift world championship and is planning some competitions there soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭COH

There's a lot more to the gym than you can see in the photos, the owner is big into weight lifting and bodybuilder, has some trophies for single lift world championship and is planning some competitions there soon

Single lifts? Are you sure you're not getting weightlifting and powerlifting mixed up?

• Advertisement

Any improvements on the weightlifting in Cork lads?

Haven't heard anything about the club in a while. There was a lot of talk a while back but it's gone a bit quiet now.

Yeah, I just enjoyed a session with the mardyke's lively leeeeeeko training set.

No chalk allowed and the bar freshly polished...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

Its fustrating with the lack of weightlifting clubs in this country. Weighlifting could definitly benefit many athletes in alot of sports. The sport is alos very good for teaching many skills which are transferable.Speed, Power Co ordination.

We're working with a few people down here in Midleton, small setup at the moment, but will be registering a club with weightlifting ireland once my coursework goes through with them and coaching ireland etc. Should be adding to our equipment and have people competing during the year all going well.

It's badly lacking down here in Cork especially, but there will hopefully be a bit of coordination between different clubs/facilities down here to work together to try and bring the standard/numbers of lifters up.

Ok so, I've been awared (It's a verb now) as to the following:

'Fitness Works' will be opening on the Tramore road within a week or so (according to information at present). Two platforms + two sets of Eleiko weights will be available in the lifting area.

If I hear anything else I'll post. If anyone else sees that the weightlifting facilities are available for use then feel free to post here.

How are things in Middleton?

Edit: Just got off the phone with Fitnessworx, they have the training bars and plates, and are waiting for platforms to be built. There seems to be some people lifting in there at the moment. Drop-in rates will be available for guest lifters too.

• Advertisement

Ooooooohhhhh yyyeeeeaaahhhh

Ok so, I've been awared (It's a verb now) as to the following:

'Fitness Works' will be opening on the Tramore road within a week or so (according to information at present). Two platforms + two sets of Eleiko weights will be available in the lifting area.

If I hear anything else I'll post. If anyone else sees that the weightlifting facilities are available for use then feel free to post here.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Fitnessworx, they have the training bars and plates, and are waiting for platforms to be built. There seems to be some people lifting in there at the moment. Drop-in rates will be available for guest lifters too.
    What is the membership rates ?

He didn't mention rates. The contact details are here:

http://www.fitnessworx.ie/?page_id=4

if you want to give them a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nealt

It's about €460 a year for an adult, €320 a year for a student.

That's expensive, finding cork is very expensive gym wise. Work in cork but live in co limerick and would have preferred to join gym in cork but will have to join one in limerick. Blue shinners gym is 23 euro a month as is bee fit.

• Advertisement

We're tipping along.....where we are at the moment is quite tight, and we're looking for a bigger premises (currently about 2000sq ft training area, looking for double that +, just a matter of finding the right place really). We purposely keep our membership numbers small though, and most come to us for our classes which means the weights area is generally pretty quiet.

Have 1 platform at the moment with a training bar and oly lifting bar along with bumpers and all the usual other bits and pieces.

www.trainstationgym.com if anybody fancies checking it out (must get some updated photos on there, quite a few changes since the current ones were taken!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coshoggy

New weightlifting Club in Marina in Cork. 3 platforms.
    <snip-phone number removed> for info

coshoggy wrote: »
    New weightlifting Club in Marina in Cork. 3 platforms.
    <snip> for info

Where abouts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 coshoggy

Where abouts ?

In the marina commercial park on centre park road

Advertisement