Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do you put up your Christmas tree :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

tomorrow morning, when the kids are still in bed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Will have it up in time for the Toy Show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Just sitting down now, what a day. Wrecked tired and there is still the toy show to go!!!
    Great day though, they are still giving out to me for being a "tricker", they were so excited running from room to room, hope they can stay awake now.
    Well worth all the effort, OH played a blinder also. Time for a glass of wine I think. Enjoy the toy show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Mine is slowly going up this evening! Takes ages to spread out all the branches properly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Put the 14 foot tree up today.

ABS Plastic Sliver Star was bought for 2 euro in Ikea this morning.Drilled a small hole in it,and fed some garden wire through it.

Bit of garden wire twisted around the tree tip,to prevent the star from blowing away,in any high winds.

400 LED warm white lights on the tree.

Nice and simple.:)

• Advertisement

400 LEDs on and lit,thank god.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Wait wait, wait for it, steady she goes, only another week or two before the 8th, which is the customary
    date for Christmas tree erection in Ireland! Or at leas it was, until a few years ago :cool:

PS: Trees usually come down on the 6th or 7th Jan.

Little Christmass....aka Womens Christmass.;)

PS-Quoted your post before you deleted it.:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Womens Christmas, whats that then?

Womens?

Yes indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Christmas

Women's Christmas

Little Christmas is also called Women's Christmas (Irish: Nollaig na mBan), and sometimes Women's Little Christmas. The tradition, still very strong in Cork and Kerry is so called because of the Irish men taking on all the household duties for the day.[10] Most women hold parties or go out to celebrate the day with their friends, sisters, mothers, and aunts. Bars and restaurants serve mostly women and girls on this night. Children often buy presents for their mothers and grandmothers.

The tradition is not well documented, but one article from The Irish Times (January 1998), entitled On the woman's day of Christmas,[11] describes both some sources of information and the spirit of this occasion.

I had heard of Little Christmas before, but the Womens bit is a new one on me!

• Advertisement

I had heard of Little Christmas before, but the Womens bit is a new one on me!

Well now you know.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I never heard of 'Women's Christmas' before I heard it on boards either, LordSutch.
    Maybe it's not a Dublin thing.

Rural parts of Cork and Kerrry apparently.

Happy Nollaig na mBan to all you ladies :))

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It'a quite a big thing in Cork. I grew up in a suburb of Cork and while my family never celebrated it, a lot of my neighbours and friends did and still do.

Rural parts of Cork and Kerrry apparently.

Happy Nollaig na mBan to all you ladies :))

My girlfriend only found out about it last night (after reading my post here).

So guess whos now going to be doing all the housework on January 6th then????:pac::(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

It's called womens Christmas as in olden days it's the women that did the cooking etc for Xmas so I think the 6th jan was meant to be a day off all that for them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's a bit of an outdated name now I feel.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I always thought it was Little Christmas, cause it's supposedly when the 3 kings finally got on down to the stables to give their gifts to the baby God. Spain and some other countries celebrate it more than actual Christmas day IIRC. In our house, 6th Jan was always when we took down all the decorations and made the house look normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Our tree doesn't go up before the 15th December and stays up 'til little Christmas. My neighbours all put theirs up in November and not one of them leaves it up til the 6th cos they're all so sick looking at it by then.

Ours is always the last up and the last down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 akiko

I got a tree on Saturday in Ikea. Really good value €30 plus a €20 gift voucher to use in Jan! Its in my backyard now and we will be putting it up on Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Putting ours up now! :D

Just need some red lights so we're going up town soon to get those.

We've had a fibre optic tree for the past 8 years and now we've gone back to an artificial one. Great fun detangling lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

15th,16th or 17th of this year. I haven't got all my decorations yet hence the wait, if I had them it would have been up about the 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Tomorrow, the 8th of December! :D

Traditional Culchie Shopping Daytrip up to The Big Smoke....;):pac::D

Maybe no so much these days...with all the new shopping centres and retail parks in most county towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We put ours up last Sunday! Couldn't wait any longer. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Snap! Can't wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Tomorrow, family trip up to the Rolestown Christmas Tree Farm.

Squ wrote: »
    Tomorrow, family trip up to the Rolestown Christmas Tree Farm.

If its anything like last year....the trees we saw were very poor and more badly grown trees than actual good looking trees.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Who would have thought eh ? A forum specially dedicated to christmas. :D

My tree went up yesterday and I finished the decorating this afternoon. Yep, it took me 2 days.:o I will bring in fresh greens from outdoors nearer to the day for more decorating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Mine went up today!!! such fun! Loved it... so Christmassy....Christmas songs playing, tinsel on the stairs... ho ho ho!!

Advertisement