Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layer Advice

Options
  • 02-10-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi. I'm taking up hiking after a gap, of 20 years so lots has changed! I'm getting kit together on a fairly restricted budget. I have already picked up Meindl Burma boots, have a Colombia base layer and bought a Regata Isotex waterproof jacket in TK Maxx. I was hoping to now only have to buy a very good fleece as a middle and top layer and unpack the regatta from rucksack as needed. However I have been advised that I still an outer shell and a mediocre fleece instead - can anyone advise me? Thanks

Forgot to add - will be mainly in comeraghs hill walking and scrambling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Just an update, had a bit of a rummage around my room and found a thin cheap fleece from Next - I'm thinking maybe this would serve as a mid layer if I splashed out on a soft shell? It is 100% polyester

Not sure I'd tell anyone to get the full shooting gallery before heading out. After boots and waterproofs, not sure I'd tell anyone they had to get a base, middle and outer layer. I have a few short and long sleeved running tops and layer these as needed. Do have a fleece but more often than not it stays in the bag. Certainly think you could easily get out and about without worrying too much if technically what you have qualifies as a mid layer and a good outer layer or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

got to agree with that.

fleece CAN be got very cheap nowadays anyway.

if you're sensible and wrap up well you'll be fine. remember the nutters who took on the likes of the Matterhorn before fleece and goretex were invented.......

some of them even survived!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

got to agree that.

fleece CAN be got very cheap nowadays anyway.

if you're sense and wrap up well you'll be fine. remember the nutters who took on the likes of the Matterhorn before fleece and goretex were invented.......

some of them even survived!

Well thats just it - used to have heavy rugby jerseys, tracksuit bottoms And rugby socks no problem. Now it seems to be about layers. I have been looking at the North Face Apex Bionic - seems it works well with most layering systems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

aquanaut wrote: »
    Hi. I'm taking up hiking after a gap, of 20 years so lots has changed! I'm getting kit together on a fairly restricted budget. I have already picked up Meindl Burma boots, have a Colombia base layer and bought a Regata Isotex waterproof jacket in TK Maxx. I was hoping to now only have to buy a very good fleece as a middle and top layer and unpack the regatta from rucksack as needed. However I have been advised that I still an outer shell and a mediocre fleece instead - can anyone advise me? Thanks

Forgot to add - will be mainly in comeraghs hill walking and scrambling

Seems the clothing stuff is well sorted - maybe a good hat and gloves for the coming winter. Other then that the only other thing I can think of is walking/trekking trousers like Craghopper kiwi's or M&S Stormwear hiking trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

TK Maxx always have Craghoppers Kiwi pants for about €25. Pick up a micro-fleece or two (not the bigger bulkier ones) while you're there and some cheap baselayers (non-cotton) and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I was always told to spend money on the boots and raincoat, and buy lots of thin, and ideally cheap, inner layers. So two light fleece better than one heavy one is more flexible.

Advertisement