Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Geography teacher never actually studied geography!

• 02-10-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm in 5th year and my school has asked our career guidance teacher to teach 5th years this year because one of the geography teachers left the school and the other ones too busy. My physics teacher said he probably just had to collect coupons to get the job.
    The class in pathetic people talk through the whole thing and not like other classes when you just whisper to the one beside you they shout across the room and he just says be quiet now and only gives out to the guys. Last week I counted 8 people going to the toilet during a single class and when someone comes back he says oh its your turn now and signs the diary etc. wasting so much time.
    And after all this he gives hard tests and loads fail, I teach myself at home and come out with A's so far but like when the rest of my subjects become difficult I wont have the time....Oh and on top of that he hates me and tries to undermine me every class of career guidance and if I get anything wrong in class and gives me dirty looks and my friends even notice it which probably means hes heard back what I've been saying.
    I don't know what to do should I just leave it for a while and hope for the best or make a complaint??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

get onto the principal,get your parents to get onto the principal,your friends and your friends parents also.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

How do you know he never studied Geography? You mention he's a career guidance teacher but he would have had to have taught other subjects before that. This year schools have lost their ex quota status for career guidance which means they now have to be counted in the teacher allocation and timetabled for their subject areas , not just for careers classes. This is a possibility in the case of your Geography teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My physics teacher said he probably just had to collect coupons to get the job.
    Wow! If that's the bitchiness among staff in your school, I'm really not surprised that teachers are not enthused and excited about their work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I was told that the Dept of Education now take a much more dim view of teaching incompetence than previously, and will examine complaints against individual teachers if they get a sufficent volume of them. Perhaps you could contact the department, and they might arrange a "drive-by" inspection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Einhard wrote: »
    I... Perhaps you could contact the department, and they might arrange a "drive-by" inspection?
    OMG!! The Deepahrtmint testing teachers' competence to teach!!! Where will it all ind? The Guards will be askiin' us for licences next and bookin' us if we haven't got them!!! Damn this Govvermint, is there no ind to their duplicity?!! Inda, you hoor you, what next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Genuine question here...why don't teachers have their qualifications on the wall like other professions? My doctor and dentist do. They pay money each year to be recognised as professionals and I agree most do a fantastic job but surely any ambiguity about qualifications would be cleared up by this. There was an Irish teacher in Galway who was useless and who taught all my cousins from one family. Turns out she did Commerce but was from the Gaeltacht...cost my aunt and uncle a fortune in grinds. That's not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

A qualification doesn't make a good teacher. The best geography teacher in my year (highest grades 7 years in a row) was only qualified in English and history. I had to break my back to get a good grade with my teacher, who was qualified. The problem is that some people can't teach - if that woman was qualified in Irish, she would still have been awful, and probably would have been an awful business teacher too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Mine wasn't qualified either, I had a TERRIBLE paper and got a B1 in Higher Level. Quit whinging and go study yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 limerickmark

Nearly all career guidance teachers are qualified with another subject (or two))!! Keep doing what your doing, study hard, the A1 won't be far off... trust me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Have you told your parents because I know mine would be questioning the school immediately. If its a sick teacher the department should send out a replacement ( I got one for german and I probably learned more German watching Bruno than 3 months in his class).

Buy study skills for geography. Not 100% percent sure on the name. But it has skills and geography

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If its a sick teacher the department should send out a replacement ...
    By the sounds of it, it's not a sick teacher, and the department don't "send out replacements" in that case anyway.

It's the department who have cut the teaching allocation to schools to save money to pay off the huge loans from the ECB and the IMF which we needed because the politicians, the banks and the developers got greedy during the "boom", and lost the run of themselves ... and many ordinary people followed suit, buying houses they couldn't afford, and fancy cars and gizmos, and compounded the problem!

It's the department who have cut the allocation for guidance counselling as well, for the same reasons.

It may be time to start reading the odd decent newspaper, or cocking an ear to the news on the radio / tv the odd time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Oh please!...for the salary doctors and dentists get, they should be displaying their credentials!

Advertisement