Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of insurance

• 02-10-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Waiting on my learner permit to come in the post and then do the IBT,

Was looking to get a suzuki bandit 600cc restricted 03 or 04 & wondering does anyone know roughly how much the insurance would be and who's the best insurer to go with?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

monuworks wrote: »
    Waiting on my learner permit to come in the post and then do the IBT,

Was looking to get a suzuki bandit 600cc restricted 03 or 04 & wondering does anyone know roughly how much the insurance would be and who's the best insurer to go with?

Your pretty much stuck with liberty when you start. No one else usually comes close to their quotes when you are starting.

I started on a restricted bandit 600. I think my insurance was around 800ish. Cant remember exactly. That was with quinn (liberty) and the next in line was about 1400 and the other places wouldnt even talk to me without a ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 monuworks

Forgot to add that I'm 40, does this make any difference to the quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

You need to call around to get any real indications as it's going to be based on so many factors such as where you live etc, your age will help you probably- just give false name and the address a couple of doors down from you, thats what I did when I was starting out and went with the best quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you get a "FACTORY" restricted bike then AON are very good especially being a more mature gent ;)

No one else will recognise a factory restriction, have a look out for a Vstrom 650cc / FZ6 they are usually in abundance with the factory restriction.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you get a "FACTORY" restricted bike then AON are very good especially being a more mature gent ;)

No one else will recognise a factory restriction, have a look out for a Vstrom 650cc / FZ6 they are usually in abundance with the factory restriction.

The only issue with a factory restricted bike is that if you want to derestrict it you have to replace the ECU and are dificult to sell for this reason, as far as I know its like this with fazers anyway.

• Advertisement

Not difficult to sell to a learner and they hold their value alot more too. When I bought the bike the chap told me to ring him if I was selling it again for 1st refusal.

Not difficult to sell to a learner and they hold their value alot more too. When I bought the bike the chap told me to ring him if I was selling it again for 1st refusal.

Your's isn't factory restricted is it? Did you had to replace the ECU?

Mine is factory restricted, its stamped on my log book :)

Mine is factory restricted, its stamped on my log book :)

Oh I thought your restriction was up already, so to derestrict it do you have to replace the ECU?

Have no idea Blu3, it feels like a slight throttle stop on mine but it could very well be an ECU jobbie....Sorry for the Hi-Jack of the thread. :p

Back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Carole Nash would be your best bet for a decent quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

If you're waiting until after the IBT then Liberty or Aon both seem to offer decent quotes, if you want to do the IBT, or even part of it, on your own bike then only Carole Nash will insure you.
    In summary through ringing around I found:
    • Liberty - similar price to Aon, won't cover you until you've finished your IBT.
    • Aon - similar price to Liberty, won't cover anything above M class until you've finished your IBT.
    • Carole Nash - TPFT quote came in at ~ 133% of the Comp quotes of the other two:eek:, but they will cover you while doing your IBT (usual restrictions of needing your instructor present at all times you're using the bike of course apply).

Don't know about Adelaide as my bike's just a little bit too small to be of interest to them.:o (they only cover >125cc) So it might be worth contacting them to get a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    The only issue with a factory restricted bike is that if you want to derestrict it you have to replace the ECU and are dificult to sell for this reason, as far as I know its like this with fazers anyway.

not all factory restricted bikes are done so via ecu

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Littleirishman

First time poster here.

I am in the same boat as the op.

what would the price be for 20 Y/O male...roughly.

300e to 6000e, give or take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

You need to call around to get any real indications as it's going to be based on so many factors such as where you live etc, your age will help you probably- just give false name and the address a couple of doors down from you, thats what I did when I was starting out and went with the best quote.

Just wondering, what advantages are there in giving fake names and addresses:confused:

Wossack wrote: »

Wow really.. great help :p

i am aware of how varied it will be from person to person.

But how can i decide on what bike to get when i do not know the insurance prices for the bikes..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

But how can i decide on what bike to get when i do not know the insurance prices for the bikes..?

There are 4 insurance companies:
    AON
    Liberty
    Carole Nash
    Adelaide

Not all of the 4 will insure you because of your age so ring them to see which will even think of insuring you.

Then ask how much it is for a factory restricted bandit to get an idea of price on FR bikes. While you are on the phone to them, ask how much it would be for a CB400 and/or a Varadero 250.

This will give you an idea of realistic prices on insurance for you.

Failing that i'd go with

Unfort theres a whole lot of variables, and ambiguity (seemingly) with insurance quotes. Its really down to yourself, who you get on the phone, what bike, location, and planetary alignment. Think theres a thread on here with people giving their renewal figures - have a look for a bit of what Im talking about

I think quinn and/or aon have an online calculator, should give you a rough idea of how risky the insurance companies consider the bike/rider combo

Im afraid though really its a whole lot of phone jockey stuff, and alot of disappointment... mine initial experience (about 5/6 years ago) was somewhat like:
    cbr600? no..
    bandit 600? no...
    rvf400? no...
    cbr250? no...
    nsr125r? no...
    cbr125r? yes, 1800e please

but think its a little better nowerdays. Quinn/Liberty are probably your best bet for your starter bike cover imo

Unfort theres a whole lot of variables, and ambiguity (seemingly) with insurance quotes. Its really down to yourself, who you get on the phone, what bike, location, and planetary alignment. Think theres a thread on here with people giving their renewal figures - have a look for a bit of what Im talking about

I think quinn and/or aon have an online calculator, should give you a rough idea of how risky the insurance companies consider the bike/rider combo

Im afraid though really its a whole lot of phone jockey stuff, and alot of disappointment... mine initial experience (about 5/6 years ago) was somewhat like:
    cbr600? no..
    bandit 600? no...
    rvf400? no...
    cbr250? no...
    nsr125r? no...
    cbr125r? yes, 1800e please

but think its a little better nowerdays. Quinn/Liberty are probably your best bet for your starter bike cover imo

Do you have a link to an astrology thread or website please :p haha.

I had a look but most where a lot older than myself. I seen one or 2 but with 125's and not bandit.

Should I just ring up and give them the details of a bike before I buy then? For instance, the online quotes, which always result in "call us instead", ask for reg numbers and the likes.

• Advertisement

yep, definitely get a quote + reference number (important) before you purchase anything. Few lads have been caught out with bikes bought, and insurance companies just refusing to cover. Or worse, going back on their word, after saying they would - and with no reference number, you're outta luck :(

if you have a bike in mind (bandit?) no harm in ringing up Quinn just to see what they say. If they say no, just see if getting an assessment, or alarm, reduced miles etc help things.

yea, the online calc does spit out 'call us/NO', or just massive figures more easily then the guys on the phone (with quinn/liberty anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just wondering, what advantages are there in giving fake names and addresses:confused:

Some companies may add extra if you do loads of quotes. Any time I'm bored and dreaming I always use fake details. Then when I decide I get a proper quote.

The main reason would be to stop getting email/mail from them, every year I get loads of emails for my house, car and bike insurance renewal. If I do a search mid year with my details I'll get more junk from them the same time next year and I don't want to have to contact them to get off another mailing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Whats the situation regarding insurance NCB certs?
    How long are they valid for?

I know its different but with cars Ive been told they are valid for 2 years if you dont renew immediately.

I dont think I will be using the bike after my insurance is up in a month until after the new year.
    Ive already gotten a call from another company with a better quote than my first year as I got the full A licence and I did an AON qualification aswell, not sure what it was as I cant locate the cert.

almost 100% certain its 2 years also - but worth double-checking with your insurance company

Del2005 wrote: »
    Some companies may add extra if you do loads of quotes. .

WTF!Seriously:confused:

Del2005 wrote: »
    Some companies may add extra if you do loads of quotes. .

WTF!Seriously:confused:

Does he mean if I keep getting different quotes off them for different bikes they will up the price? Kinda like they are getting P***ed off?

No idea never heard of it before TBH...glad I am not starting off again do your head in all the running around. Best of luck with who ever you go with lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hwap

the bandit is a carb model and the restriction is tiny holes drilled into the carb sliders, handy enough to replace

just did an online with liberty... im 20 in january but i used my brothers details (22) got fully comp on a 97 bandit 600 for Annual Payment:
    €1,316.61

• Advertisement

just did an online with liberty... im 20 in january but i used my brothers details (22) got fully comp on a 97 bandit 600 for Annual Payment:
    €1,316.61

why bother with fully comp on a 97 bandit?

Advertisement