Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guns shops

Options
  • 02-10-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a gun shop in the athlone area. How much is a 9mm hand gun to buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You can't licence a 9mm pistol in the Republic unless you owned it before November 2008 and had a licence for it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Sparks wrote: »
    You can't licence a 9mm pistol in the Republic unless you owned it before November 2008 and had a licence for it then.

Really why is that? What guns can you owen in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

cena wrote: »

Because that's what the law says:pac: You can own a 5 shot .22lr pistol if you are a member of a range and meet the other requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

cena wrote: »

Regarding handguns, as Blay said.

In relation to everything restricted and not, have a look for the big RED stickies on firearms on the front page of this forum.

If you cant find it, here is a link to the information requested LINK

• Advertisement

Is it possible to buy a gun. Not have a licence for it and leave it in the range you buy it in. Sign it in and out every time you want to use it?

I'm not too sure really...I imagine it depends on the range and if it has facilities to store firearms and if their authorisation allows it, some ranges can only allow licence holders to shoot.

Okay thanks a lot!! What was the reason for stopping all new 9mm purchases do you know?

The Minister for Justice at the time Dermot Ahern signed an SI(?) saying no more CF pistols(not just 9mm) were to be licenced from Nov. 08 onwards..there's a clause that allows Alan Shatter to change it tomorrow if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Blay wrote: »
    Okay thanks a lot!! What was the reason for stopping all new 9mm purchases do you know?

The Minister for Justice at the time Dermot Ahern signed an SI(?) saying no more CF pistols(not just 9mm) were to be licenced from Nov. 08 onwards..there's a clause that allows Alan Shatter to change it tomorrow if he wanted to.

And it's obviously working in reducing gun crime too, I mean no one is getting shot dead with legally held handguns in the country......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Is it possible to buy a gun. Not have a licence for it and leave it in the range you buy it in. Sign it in and out every time you want to use it?

No it is not possible to do that because a 9mm pistol is a restricted firearm and only the licencee of a restricted firearm may use it. So as stated before you can't have one unless you had one before 2008

• Advertisement

juice1304 wrote: »
    No it is not possible to do that because a 9mm pistol is a restricted firearm and only the licencee of a restricted firearm may use it. So as stated before you can't have one unless you had one before 2008

We've already established that, I didnt make it clear but I was refering to the likes of a .22 or shotgun

I have heard of members the Defence Forces storing handguns in a barracks stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I doubt it , if that could be done why would anyone go through the often painful process of getting a pistol licence ? Some clubs do have club guns though for members to use while waiting for a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

No. If you fire any gun that your not licensed to use then technically your breaking the law. A firearm license entitles you to own, use and carry one particular firearm and you cant own use or carry a gun without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

And it's obviously working in reducing gun crime too, I mean no one is getting shot dead with legally held handguns in the country......

I presume this is sarcasm?

Because I can't recall any body being assaulted with legally handguns in this country.

Jonty wrote: »

Because I can't recall any body being assaulted with legally handguns in this country.

Thats definitely sarcasm :)

Of course! :)

No. If you fire any gun that your not licensed to use then technically your breaking the law. A firearm license entitles you to own, use and carry one particular firearm and you cant own use or carry a gun without one.

+1 , I don't know why you'd want to own a gun and not be in legal possession of it anyway, you are the person responsible for it after all.

Because im 19 loved shooting the last couple of times i did it. Live in the city and theres no way in hell id be granted a licence i reckon

There is no reason that you could be refused a license if you satisfied all the requirements of the law, local super and you passed the background check.

So if you really want to take the plunge, dont be afraid, just go about it the right way.

You will get plenty of help and advice here too.

• Advertisement

Because im 19 loved shooting the last couple of times i did it. Live in the city and theres no way in hell id be granted a licence i reckon. Would it affect my application the fact im in the RDF?

Join a club , do the probation and apply for a licence, its a pita but once its done its done.

rowa wrote: »

+1 , I don't know why you'd want to own a gun and not be in legal possession of it anyway, you are the person responsible for it after all.

Because im 19 loved shooting the last couple of times i did it. Live in the city and theres no way in hell id be granted a licence i reckon. Would it affect my application the fact im in the RDF?

As said no reason you shouldn't get a license because you live in the city and are 19.

I just turned 21 when my application went in, no problems.

Being in the RDF helped me, the super was happy that I had demonstrated decent weapons competency from the RDF, I submitted a letter from company office stating the fact.

Of course I don't think I k ow everything about shooting because if that, I am just as careful when I am shooting on my permissions as on a military range.

Cheers lads! Sorry for he stupid questions aswell. What about the cost of a weapon? how much would a .22 set me back?

you are very welcome, thats what we are all here for, to share.

First tip, its not a 'weapon', that implies the wrong thing. Firearm is what you want and you have to decide what you want to do with it.

Hunting game? target shooting? clays? deer?

all have their own category

No. Clubs and ranges aren't allowed do that with restricted firearms, which is what a 9mm pistol would be. With unrestricted firearms, yes, it's possible.

No. If you fire any gun that your not licensed to use then technically your breaking the law.
    ...unless you're on a range, in which case you're covered so long as the range's authorisation and rules don't ban it.

Ah thats the RDF jargon coming out haha sorry!! Okay ehm id like to hunt and do target shooting. Would be more interested in the hunting tbh

No worries

Small game (duck, pheasant, rabbit,etc.) vermin (foxes or vermin birds, etc.) or deer?

For small game, a 12 gauge shotgun would be the best all rounder for you and still allow you to shoot clays if you wanted.

For foxes and below, I would think it might be best if you leave it for a while and get some experience in the field with a shot gun and then when you feel ready, move to a centre fire.

As for deer, same opinion as the above. Dont run before you can walk.

All firearms are a different kettle of fish in the field than they are on a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Very true,but thats what you get when you vote in self serving little arthrtiic FF toads Ex solicitors with personal agendas as minister for "justice equality and law reform".Who cynically use a murder with an illegal handgun to ban any further possesion,and to give AGS an open season on all other liscense owners of such.:mad::mad::mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Advertisement