Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to rent in perth

Options
  • 02-10-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

hi going to perth on the 14th of the month but not sure where is a good or bad suburb like where there's easy train or bus if not in the city centre. i have only looked really on gumtree but really have no idea where is where

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Northbridge is near the CBD and handy for walking everywhere, depending on where you work of course. If you want some beach nearby and need to be able to access the city easily then Mosman park is handy, some cheap rents there. It would be about a 25 min train ride into the city from there and there's a cycle path most of the way too. It's also very close to Fremantle.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

My daughter initially rented a house out in Morley(Beechboro Rd direction), which was a two bus journey(via the Galeria shopping centre bus station) into the CBD. She has since moved down to Maylands, which is closer(cheaper for taxis out of town, late at night, as well :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

i didn't see anything in Northbridge i was looking for some where i can get to the city and beach easy like 1 bus or train not over 30 mins. right now i'm looking for a 1 bedroom place or even a room me and a friend could share if things cost alot there till we get jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

Leederville is one train or bus from and one train or bus from the beach walking distance to the nightlife in northbridge and is an awesome place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Look along the train line between the city and Mosman Park, as already mentioned.

Personally, I would never live right in the city or near Northbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

yea i have no real care for the big nightlife, so i'm happy to be away from it really, what is a fair price for a place in perth and what sites are the best places to look on like i said on first post i only have looked on gumtree. and thanks for information you have giving me

Try www.realestate.com.au and www.reiwa.com.au but if yu want a house share Gumtree and The West Australian newspaper are your best bet.

The closer to the city you live the more expensive it is, though that's not a blanket rule, i.e. living in Freo or Joondalup for example will be pricey as well.

You could probably get a room for about $200 a week or an apartment for between $350 and $450.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Try www.realestate.com.au and www.reiwa.com.au but if yu want a house share Gumtree and The West Australian newspaper are your best bet.

The closer to the city you live the more expensive it is, though that's not a blanket rule, i.e. living in Freo or Joondalup for example will be pricey as well.

You could probably get a room for about $200 a week or an apartment for between $350 and $450.

is that the cheapest? 150 euro a week is a lot. you cant rent a room here for 50 a week

NinjaK wrote: »
    is that the cheapest? 150 euro a week is a lot. you cant rent a room here for 50 a week

Depends how many you're sharing with of course but I'd be surprised if you found anything decent for less.

Remember it's relative to wages here so comparing it to Ireland isn't a good idea for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I am living in East Perth, 2 bed house $140 a week, free CAT bus to work, right beside the WACA and free parking, A real lucky find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 challengers

Hi Mike

Can you tell me where you found the house to rent? That seems like a great deal!! Lucky you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I've said it before but the website I got my share room off was called www.easyroommate.com.au

It has less traffic than the likes of gumtree. I got a place in Rivervale, close to the city and the domestic airport and right on the great Eastern so you can catch a bus straight to the CBD if you need to. Belmont, Redcliffe etc are all in the same area

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Hi Mike

Can you tell me where you found the house to rent? That seems like a great deal!! Lucky you :)

Pure luck, I was living in a gaff on Goderich St paying $250 p/w and just happened to bump into a lad I know from back home who has a house across the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Mike... wrote: »
    Pure luck, I was living in a gaff on Goderich St paying $250 p/w and just happened to bump into a lad I know from back home who has a house across the road...

Is it a house with its own garden or is it a flat in a block? Dont see many houses in east Perth?

Just throwing this into a thread about renting in Perth for future reference when folk are searching for info -

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2013/02/27/landlords-wary-of-irish-renters-says-perth-estate-agent/23674
    Landlords wary of Irish renters, says Perth agent

The Irish are gaining a bad reputation in Perth’s rental market, according to one of the city’s leading real estate agents.

Executive leasing manager at Acton Real Estate in Perth Sarah White said she has had some bad experiences with Irish renters in the past.

“I have had some Irish renters who have been immaculate and some who have been absolutely filthy, and yes, I do believe that those ones are giving the Irish a bad name,” she said.

“At the moment I have three Irish boys renting a property and they are brilliant. They pay their rent on time and I have no problems with them at all.”

Ms White said if those three Irishmen and a couple were competing for a property, they would be more likely to lease it to the couple.

“The landlord gets the ultimate decision, but they will ask us for our advice and we will tell them the truth,” she said.

“We find that a lot of Irish tenants who put applications in are just arriving. Therefore you might find they aren’t declined because of their nationality, it’s because they have no rental history or employment,” she said.

Dubliner Katherine McVeigh, 23, who has been living in a share house in Perth for the past year, believes that the Irish are becoming known for cramming as many people as possible into one property, a problem that’s not gone unnoticed by potential landlords.

“As a person who has stayed in a two-bedroom apartment with eight people at one point, I do think we are giving ourselves a bad name,” she said.

“But the reasons why we chose to do it were primarily down to financial constraints.”

Ms McVeigh explained that the housemates found themselves unable to compete in the soaring Perth rental market and decided to pack in to one apartment while they sorted out jobs.

Although Ms McVeigh and her friends have now separated into various homes and apartments around Perth, she believes there is a stigma around the Irish, especially young Irish males, when it comes to securing accommodation.

“A group of my Irish male friends actually spent seven weeks in a tent in Fremantle as they were not given any opportunities by landlords,” she said.

Corkman Barry Cronin, 25, explains how he was turned away from a viewing in Perth simply because of his accent.

“My friend and I actually went to a viewing recently in Perth, where we were told by the agent the minute we walked in the door and opened our mouths not to bother applying because we were Irish,” he said.

Advertisement