Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting ... the bane of our existence, what's your chariot of doom?

• 02-10-2012 9:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

God knows that commuting zaps the energy and zeal out of us and makes our trip to work miserable. For some, including me, my trip to college in the morning is tainted with commuting.

How do you commute?

I used to commute by train, but now use the Bus and haven't looked back.

How do you commute? 145 votes

Bus
    0%
    Train
    17%
    Psychedelic[Deleted User]Turnip2000KriegFlecktarnmccarthyiRedlionswiftbladeCartoon loverThe Big Red ButtonSmurph90PinturicchioScanlas The 2ndBobby42Fawkon[Deleted User]noxqsOneywuZomg OkayRichard Hillman 26 votes
    Walk
    8%
    littlehedgehogKhannieGLaDOSnyarlothothepdf1985partyatmygaffShivers26DanteNodsterbob the bobNorthern MonkeyvitaniRADIUS 13 votes
    Cycle
    8%
    matrimSinfoniaRodinHande hoche!Washington IrvingSkylineheaddansleventIlyanaemuhead68Murph68HandsomeDivilsocco 12 votes
    Luas
    13%
    seamusStarkZabrainbow kirbyCanis LupushumbertJuliusCaesareyeball kid[Deleted User][Deleted User]donvito99Foxx92BeastybabaracusMr. ManagerDaniel SDarkglassesArkturaColonel Panicqwerty93 20 votes
    Own Car
    2%
    Taco Corpdaddydickmikemac1homemadecider 4 votes
    Car pool
    39%
    ValentinaHal1FGRdantbyhidtesticlerecyclebinmuletideShrykegalwayrushshoveldmigsyRed CrowGran Hermanosozbox[Deleted User]lazy-bikerytarehstakerLoopyveryangryman 57 votes
    Motorbike / Motorcycles
    3%
    RemmyTiddlypeeps1qToura fat guySureYWouldntYa 5 votes
    I work at home
    3%
    [Deleted User]Run_to_da_hillsdaenerysstormborn3Please Kill MeCienciano 5 votes
    I don't work at all
    2%
    GhandeeGreentopiaClearpreso 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

4 miles from work -- 10 minute journey. Oh yeah!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Walk
    Recently started commuting by train with either a lift or bus to/from the station on the homeward side.

Funnily enough I much prefer the train part of the journey, find it relaxing enough, a good time to listen to music.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

One hour on train and metros. Just listen to my music, read, or look at girls' lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Tram and metro, 20 min commute, don't mind it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Luas
    15 minute cycle, during which I break every light, cut off every motorist, and flatten every kitten, while being as smug as George Clooney's Oscar acceptance speech.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Train
    Wish that was the case for me, I commute on the Dundalk line and by the time is reaches me it's like a train in India ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

On the sponge for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I work at home
    Motorbike. I used to do it in the car but it takes too long, I can't be arsed sitting in traffic. It's 1 hour 15 minutes in the car or 35 minutes on the bike. It's a no-brainer really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No pony and trap option:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No option for planes. In and out of mainland Europe once a week. Car when there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I don't work at all
    Poll fail.

No option for private helicopter.

Peasants.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Cycle
    5 minute walk. Or I can work from home 1 day a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Train
    Is there really a need for so many Dublin Bus stops. You can actually see the next or previous bus stop from the one you are waiting at. I can see the 2 previous stops from my morning one. I much rather walk an extra couple of hundred yards for a bus stop, if they reduced them by 50% and took at least 10 minutes off my commute time.

And dont get me started about the smelly japanese guy i had to sit beside the other day. Judging by the fine fibres in his suit, his brand new Iphone, his real leather briefcase and getting on the bus in a decent area, i can assume he has a decent job. I was sitting there trying not to breath through my mouth thinking "This man clearly hasnt showered in at least 2 days. How the hell does he meet and do business with other people smelling the way he does".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Luas
    I use 5 of the methods listed, depending on where I'm working or what I have to do that day. And how I'm feeling, and how the weather is, how much I need to bring with me, and whether I'll be alone or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Youssef Chippo

Car pool
    Shanks mare

I work at home
    Motorbike usually, but I sometimes use the car when the weather is exceptionally bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Car pool
    I drive, i used to get the bus but it was full of weirdos and after i got off i had to walk for 10 minutes to get home :(

it's a 20 -25 minute drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Usually get the train and metros for an hour.
    But today some random weirdo was checking out my bottom. And I'm a dude.
    One hour on train and metros. Just listen to my music, read, or look at girls' lovely bottoms.

ewww.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Walk
    I have the bus and train both handy to me. I don't mind the commute at all. I just read my book or listen to music.

Train is better though because I don't pass any nice coffee shops if I travel that way. If I get the bus I have to get off in town and get a second bus and pass 2-3 coffee place. I'm very weak that way so I don't usually manage to pass them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Luas
    Cycling at the moment but when I'm back in Ireland its normally about an hours drive in the car.

• Advertisement

8 minute walk. Means I can go home for lunch too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Car pool
    a 120 mile round trip - everyday , not including the driving while im working , the 120 is just getting to and from work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Car pool
    40 minute drive each way for me , 6 years at it now so im used to it. Its not so bad.

Hooray for my first post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A 10 to 15 drive across town. Would probably be similar to cycle it if I could find the energy to do so at 7.30am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Train
    Mena wrote: »
    No option for planes. In and out of mainland Europe once a week. Car when there.

Can moderators add a few new options if they think of a good one ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

about a 10-15 minute (depends what pace the traffic is going) car journey into college, two mini roundabouts and no traffic lights. There's also a lovely cycle path and that takes me about 40 minutes.
    I'm incredibly lucky, I always feel sorry for students here who have to either take public transport for an hour or more or have no where to park if they drive.

For the part time job its about half an hour by car and then depending on the day, a 5 minute ferry journey then a another car journey across the island for about 15 minutes then another boat journey for ten minutes OR a 40 minute boat journey OR a five minute boat journey.
    The novelty wears off very quickly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Red About Town

Drive. But will change to public transport soon.

Cycling to work is always something I've wanted to do but have no shower facilities where I work so can't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Walk
    train...live beside station, work beside connolly, 35 mins door to desk. good read of the metro paper. people who live a lot closer to dublin city centre than me spend way more time getting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Car pool
    That poll suggests that only people with jobs commute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm a method of commuting.

Where's my poll option?

Car pool
    1 hour by my own car.

Or more if some thick isn't paying attention and rear ends someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Is a car pool like a swimming pool for cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Car pool
    35 mile each way - some of it through Dublin so +-3hrs a day commuting,

Then a lot of driving during the day,

In a diesel guzzler - spend up to and beyond e200 on diesel a week. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Cycle
    12 minute walk to work
    10 if I'm in a hurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a Nissan Tiida

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

a Nissan Tiida

I thought you were a bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Car pool
    I currently walk 10 minutes, but will be moving to a new position which will be around 40 minutes drive.

I hate public transport. It would probably take me 2 hours anyway so it's not an option. I remember commuting to UCD on a Bus Eireann line. On paper it was great- it took 40 minutes on the the bus, compared to 1.5 hours for friends who lived in Dublin and took Dublin Bus. I like an oul snooze on the bus in the morning but if I missed it it was up to 2 hours for the next one and if it was full on a Friday afternoon with everyone going home it would fly past and I'd be late for my Friday evening job. People always moan about being stuck in traffic in cars - I'd rather sit in traffic with my cup of coffee listening to the radio than stand in the rain for a bus that may or may not show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Car pool
    I take the car- its around 30 minute journey but i have been threatening to cycle for about 6 months now.
    Im finished with buses they disgust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arktura

Luas
    an hour by bus, 15-20 minutes on the bike, more enjoyable too!
    even in the rain i prefer the bike, i can dry off when i get home but i cant get my time back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, no option for boat.

Takes me 10 mins on the underground or 20 mins by boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I use my Tardis, I find it quick and easy.

Plus I have four years of holiday owing that I worked up from that time I showed up at work in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

In a chariot of doom. Looking at it, being death does have its advantages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Train
    About 2 hours on Dublin Bus in the morning and 2 hours home. 20 hours on the bus a week. Magic times :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I got out of bed at 9.25 this morning and was sitting at my desk at 9.50, so no big commute for me, couldnt be having that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

About 2 hours on Dublin Bus in the morning and 2 hours home. 20 hours on the bus a week. Magic times :cool:

the sight of gail's giraffe like looks and turkey neck make the journey all the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Luas
    I cycle it almost every time, apart from the incredibly early starts or when i'm working away from the usual place. 20 minutes in, 40 minutes out on account of the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Luas
    I've always cycled. Nothing makes me feel more superior than tearing up through rush hour traffic knocking wing mirrors off cars and spitting at pedestrians who cross my path. It also allows me to admire my legs when I pass a shop window big enough.

Advertisement