Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

distances between poles and fences?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

i'm really confused about spacing poles and fences!

when i had lessons we always did heel to toe 4 times between poles for trotting (i've measured my foot! and this is about 3'2" between poles) but i'm not sure what to do for canter poles or how to space small fences to have say 2-3 canter strides between?

i have already googled it but have gotten what seem like huge distances (4' and 5'6" between trotting poles for a 15'2hh??)

my horse is 16hh and i think has an average size stride for her height.

so if i wanted to do say 4 trotting poles leading to a small cross pole (about 18 inches) then 3 canter strides and a small parallell (18 inches - 2ft) how should i be spacing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vintage01

Hi I would suggest 5 feet between trotting poles.

Than you can work of the rule. 2 yards for landing/ take off and 4 yards for each stride. = 16 yards fo 3 strides.

You will need to shorten this distance when approaching from a trot.

Keep the fences low and play around with the distances.If you want to lenghten your horse start with a easy distance and then lenghthen it graually and the opposite to shorten him.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

We were trained to use
    3ft 6ins to 4 foot for trotting poles
    9 to12 feet for a canter poles
    Just a note but we were always thought to go with an uneven number of poles. Easier for the Horse due to its field of vision directly in front being > shaped
    For going over trotting poles to a X.
    The distances between the last pole and X .
    6 to 8 ft for staying in trot to a Xpole
    9 to 12 for 1 stride of canter before the Xpole
    18 to 21 for a 1 stride xpole to fence.
    21 to 24 for 1 stride between two fences over 2ft 6in.
    Its worth spending a Session working on learning your horses stride length .
    It would be great if you have help on the ground while getting this done but if you have to do it on your own it will be worth it.
    I would go with 5 of your heel to toe for the trotting poles. 3ft2" is very short. It may take a little playing with to get it right but you will now when the rhythm stays steady.
    For canter try 20 heel to toes and see what it feels like. Once you get it right then pace it out in your normal step. Do this until you know what the Horses stride is in your steps. Then getting the lay out will be easy. As Vintage says add 3+1/2 for landing +1/2 for take off = 4 from base to base.
    Sorry if this a bit long but hope it helps

Advertisement