Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 very basic questions from a novice

Options
  • 02-10-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

If I buy fresh chicken fillets from the butcher how long can I keep them in the fridge before they need throwing out? Also how long can I keep them in the fridge before I freeze them?

What are the best potatoes to use tor boiling? preferably ones that don't go to floury

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

mattb74 wrote: »
    If I buy fresh chicken fillets from the butcher how long can I keep them in the fridge before they need throwing out? Also how long can I keep them in the fridge before I freeze them?

What are the best potatoes to use tor boiling? preferably ones that don't go to floury

Thank you!
    Chicken fillets are usually good for 2 days. Trust your nose if there's any kind of strong smell off them after a couple of days, they're probably best avoided.
    Rooster potatoes are good but the best way of cooking spuds is steaming them. Just put a colander over a pan of water and a lid over it, stops them breaking up into moosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

what are rooster potatoes? I think they must be called by some other name here.
    I think if you are freezing anything it's best to freeze it as soon as you come from the grocery. After it's frozen will taste best if used before 3 months, but if you plan on freezing do it right away don't wait until it's ready to go, it will take a bit to thaw and you'll still have something that is on the edge of spoiling.

EZ24GET wrote: »
    what are rooster potatoes? I think they must be called by some other name here.
    They're a red skinned variety of potato, very common and always called rooster as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bassfish wrote: »
    They're a red skinned variety of potato, very common and always called rooster as far as I can see.

Very common in Ireland; much harder to get in the UK :(.

OP, 3 days is usually the maximum you'd keep fresh meat in the fridge for. Be aware of use-by dates, and trust your instincts. Freeze of day of purchase.

Bassfish wrote: »

We have roundish red skinned potatoes, I like them best - except for baked potatoes- but we call them - Irish potatoes :o:) I think they must be one and the same.

• Advertisement

EZ24GET wrote: »
    We have roundish red skinned potatoes, I like them best - except for baked potatoes- but we call them - Irish potatoes :o:) I think they must be one and the same.
    Sure if they're called Irish potatoes, they must be good:D
    Can't bate an Irish shpud!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

On kinda the same subject can i ask a question

A lot of the meat and poultry that we buy is frozen straight away to be used another day.we mark them with the date of freezing

When it is defrosted can you still apply the same freshness time limit as it had when fresh
    EG if you buy a chicken thats in date for 3 days and freeze it straight away for a month,when you defrost can you leave it for three days before cooking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

shovel wrote: »
    On kinda the same subject can i ask a question

A lot of the meat and poultry that we buy is frozen straight away to be used another day.we mark them with the date of freezing

When it is defrosted can you still apply the same freshness time limit as it had when fresh
    EG if you buy a chicken thats in date for 3 days and freeze it straight away for a month,when you defrost can you leave it for three days before cooking

Yes. Presuming it is defrosted correctly, that is, in the fridge. EZ24GET is incorrect - if something is defrosting in the fridge, it doesn't matter what size it is or how long it takes.

I think that's why they recommend that you freeze on day of purchase, so that when you defrost it, you still have a few days to use it. If you buy something, leave it in the fridge for 3 days and then choose to freeze it, it's likely you'll forget that you didn't freeze it straight away and you might not eat it straight away once it's defrosted.

Also, when you've cooked the meat, you'd get another 3 days out of it when it's stored correctly in the fridge.

Of course, this discussion is purely hypothetical because food safety advice is forbidden on this forum.

sorry, i will remove my post so as not to mislead anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

Oops
    Sorry,I did not realise about food safety advice not being allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

You should also consider batch cooking your chicken fillets. You could prepare ... Say a large pot of chicken curry and freeze half when cold. You then have a quick meal that can be defrosted in the microwave when you are stuck for time.
    When freezing meat try and freeze quickly. There may be a fast freeze button or one drawer that is colder than the other. Fast freezing creates smaller ice crystals in the meat structure which will not burst the cell walls when defrosted and retain its condition as prior to freezing. Do not store meat for more than 6 months in a freezer. It will deteriorate. Wrap or bag food prior to freezing.

Try different potato varieties and see which is your favourite. I love Golden Wonders (when available) or British Queens.

Advertisement