Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardwood or laminate floor

• 02-10-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭

How can I tell which floor I have. Dog has made a mess of the floor from coming into the sitting room

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

An experienced floor laying person could probably tell you just by looking at it. I did a website a while back for a flooring company and it didn't take long before you could easily distinguish between different types of flooring. IF you can't tell from the surface appearance though, and you can't get your hands on someone who can, you'll probably have to remove a bit of skirting I guess and get a look at the side of the plank - then you'll know straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭cena

alfa beta wrote: »
    An experienced floor laying person could probably tell you just by looking at it. I did a website a while back for a flooring company and it didn't take long before you could easily distinguish between different types of flooring. IF you can't tell from the surface appearance though, and you can't get your hands on someone who can, you'll probably have to remove a bit of skirting I guess and get a look at the side of the plank - then you'll know straight away.
    Brother has said its a real wooden floor. I'm not sure.
    Can an none wooden floor be sanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Laminate flooring is not wood, its primarily made from melamine resin and has a fake wood-grain printed on top. If you tap a laminate floor with your finger-nail you'll hear a distinct plasticy sound, wood will give a softer sound. Also, over time wooden floors will develop scratches and dents from normal wear. Laminate doesn't dent but the printed surface will wear away from constant use. Laminate boards also tend to be thinner in depth than wooden boards. While some high-end laminate is very realistic if you put a laminate board beside a wooden board the difference in appearance is obvious.

You can't sand or re-lacquer laminate.

However you should also consider you may have semi-solid/engineered flooring. This is not laminate, but is basically a ply-wood board with a 4-6mm veneer of hardwood on top and can look and feel identical to solid flooring. It's still real wood so semi-solid/engineered flooring can be sanded but not as much as a solid wooden floor.

You could look into the holes made for radiator pipes (or lift a door saddle or skirting board). If you can see the edge of a board you may be able to see if it has a veneer, or is solid all way through. If it's less than 10-12mm thick it's almost certainly a laminate; solid and semi-solid/engineered flooring are usually 15mm+ thick.

Advertisement