Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby friendly restaurants

Options
  • 02-10-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, any recommendations for baby friendly (have high-chairs, and I wont get dirtly looks :p) restaurants in Dublin around Stephens Green area
    TIA xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from Food & Drink.

tHB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

A company called McDonalds have a range of family-friendly restaurants with high chairs, real restaurants generally prefer you leave the child at home until it is old enough to order for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

TGI Friday's, if it's still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No more smart comments please, constructive posts from here on

• Advertisement

foodaholic wrote: »
    Hey, any recommendations for baby friendly (have high-chairs, and I wont get dirtly looks :p) restaurants in Dublin around Stephens Green area
    TIA xx

Most restaurants will be pretty accomodating, just give any restaurant you're thinking of a call in advance and they'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not a restaurant but the Market Bar is usually OK for a bite to eat with the family at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Im looking for somewhere a bit nicer than the golden arches :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Im looking for somewhere a bit nicer than the golden arches :p

I'm not trying to be smart, but for the comfort of other diners, would you not have someone mind the child whilst you go for a meal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Milanos down on the Quays (beside the Clarion) are child friendly, they have a play area and a special kids menu. So I'm sure all Milanos are the same - I'm not sure about the play area but defo about the kids menu (my nephew is addicted to their babychinos :) ) so maybe give Milanos on Dawson Street a shout and see if they have high chairs? Its not overly accessable (steps into the restaurant, not many 5 or 6 I think, but it might be a good option.

• Advertisement

Folks, there will be no more warnings, next person to post something that contravenes the on thread warning will be taking a holiday from the forum

Madsl, don't post on this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Most restaurants are copping on and getting a bit more family orientated as long as it's not ten thirty pm! You may still get the odd moron giving you dirty looks for doing what's perfectly normal all over the world. But.. sometimes the more casual less formal places are better suited. Wagammama would be good, and as mentioned before, Market Bar.

Thanks for your responses.
    People have to eat out - and not everyone has a childminder !

No, you're right, kids need to know how to behave in restaurants. Start them early! In most other countries, particularly Southern Europe it's the norm to have your kids in restaurants as long as it's before a certain hour.

Just a reminder, this isn't a debate about whether people should bring their kids out to dinner or not. Take that debate to a more suitable forum, Dublin City is not the place for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've heard recommendations for Milanos. We've haven't toddler tested it yet though. I'd also suggest an Asian restaurant especially for a baby who's on food or a toddler. They'll happily munch on noodles. We were away on hols recently and went to an Asian buffet so my son had his noodles, then ice cream, then more noodles and he was happy out and we could eat in peace. No waiting around for food to be served as its buffet do maybe one of the many buffet places that have sprung up everywhere lately.

Wagamamas is another place I've always seen lots of smallies and that's even before I had any myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 candyflossgirl

Mao, Wagamama, Yamamori are all great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've found anywhere is fine with kids, I've never had an issue anywhere anyway. Granted we go at a more reasonable than you would if we were just a couple.

Thanks - going on Sat, will let you know where we end up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Wagamama are great, and have have chairs etc. I'd often see families eating there with very young kids in tow. The city center Maos, have been less accomidating to my sister who has a small toddler, but that is not exclusive as the more suburban branches are very helpful and welcoming. It perhaps could have just been busy times. But i'd recommend Wagamama, without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've never had a problem anywhere in Dublin where I've brought my now 1 year old. My advice is to pick the place you want to eat in first, then when booking a table ask if it's ok to bring a baby.
    I'm always given a seat with an extra bit of room for the buggy or the highchair.

Thanks - going on Sat, will let you know where we end up !

Do.. Always on the look out for somewhere new or a decent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Milanos is good and I've heard that Wagamama is very good for kids too. We were planning on going on Sunday but it was just too busy. We ended up in The Cedar Tree on Andrew Street. They were very accommodating with high chairs and space to leave the buggy and the baby was able to munch on some pitta bread and hoummus.

We've also been to Yamamori and that was fine too. The earlier kids learn table manners etc the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Brambles in terenure. kid friendly good value and parking at the door.

Well she was in Locks Brasserie the week before they got their Michelin star and was well behaved :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Several years of eating out with small kids has taught me not to bother with anywhere unless it meets the following requirements.

- Lots of space between tables to facilitate pushing a buggy and setting up a high chair.
    - Tabletops kept pretty bare to limit opportunities to break stuff, make a mess, or cause injuries
    - Pretty high noise levels so that we are not the centre of attention, or ruining everyone else's meal if our table gets noisy
    - Food that they can eat with their hands without making too much of a mess
    - Plenty of distractions, signs on the walls, things we can walk around to look at if necessary
    - Quick service, especially when it's time to get the bill, pay and leave

Places that I find fit the bill around the Stephen's Green / Grafton St area are:

Bewleys
    TGI Fridays
    Rooftop restaurant in Marks & Spencers
    Browns in BT's basement
    The place in the middle of the ground floor of the Powerscourt centre
    Counter Burger, Suffolk St
    Nandos
    Milanos Dawson St

It's a pretty grim list, and I wouldn't fancy any of the above without the kids, but experience has taught me that if they aren't happy, nobody's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 candyflossgirl

Hi another place I just thought of in the grafton st area, which was always great with our smallie, (although it's a pub rather than restaurant) Dakota, which is down from Grogan's (is it sth William st.? I can never remember!) It's good if you are meeting a bunch of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Market Bar is a great spot for them too, not too busy with plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

If you're around North Dublin then I've seen loads of parents and children in The House in Howth, Andersons in Glasnevin (close to Botanic Gardens), Itsabagel in Malahide (big outdoor space with seats) and Moloughneys in Clontarf.

Nobody seems to mind, no need to stick to chain restaurants and fast food places.

• Advertisement

We just had a very enjoyable meal in Dada, a Moroccan restaurant - they couldn't have been nicer , and little miss was well behaved !

Advertisement