Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows away

Options
  • 02-10-2012 11:28pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed no swallows around the last few days. They must be gone. I presume that after a certain time of year/temperature they wait for favourable weather and then go. I'm wondering if anyone knows what sort of weather flow is the signal for them to depart.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

They've gone in drips and drabs the last month. I certainly saw a few over the weekend, none at all the last few days. Amazing animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snaps wrote: »
    They've gone in drips and drabs the last month. I certainly saw a few over the weekend, none at all the last few days. Amazing animals.

This is a good sign yes?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

they are quite agile birds... but i am glad when they depart. we get an absolute ton of them up here (they build their nests in the shed) they poop all over the cars (i'm talking 50+ a day)

although, there were a lot less this year, than the last three years i've noticed. i was wondering was this because of climate reasons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

although, there were a lot less this year, than the last three years i've noticed. i was wondering was this because of climate reasons..

Only a subjective observation but there seemed to be a lot more of them this year flying around the place and in my back yard as against the last few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Do they come back to the same location year after year if they're not 'kicked' out the previous year ?! ie. I have an open shed that I don't mind them using and they've nested in the same spot for the last few years, actually this year they built 3 nests (they're pushing it now :pac:).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Spotted two today. Youngsters born late according to their host.

Any one with an idea as to what sparks them to go, weather-wise?

I imagine they'd like a tail wind.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Do they come back to the same location year after year if they're not 'kicked' out the previous year ?! ie. I have an open shed that I don't mind them using and they've nested in the same spot for the last few years, actually this year they built 3 nests (they're pushing it now :pac:).

they are very persistent. we've tried to shoo them away (before they nest) but they keep coming back. they build their nests in the exact same areas every year up here. i'm not sure why there were less this year. the last two years previous were terrible for them! we were getting dive bombed while going outside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Figerty

Only a subjective observation but there seemed to be a lot more of them this year flying around the place and in my back yard as against the last few.

I never saw as many Swallows as this year. I counted 28 one evening rising and falling over the meadows. It was very stark the increase in population.

Maybe the wet summer and late harvests had something to do with it.
    Any time I was out on the tractor they were having great feeding with the flies rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

They do normally come back to the same area/nest and depending on the part of the country will arrive the middle of April and leave the end of September, if there is a nice north west wind they may leave a little early etc depending on if the young are ready to fly. They fly low in bad weather and according to reports it's been bad this summer so that's why you might notice them flying around more. Seeing them go generally means the end of any summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

We had so many swallows this year that they became serious pests.

So, we bought Harry and since he's been flying around, no swallows. Yippee!

img_8101_1_180.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

To the best of my knowledge they leave when the insect population starts to decline in the autumn. So it must be just falling temps that is the determining factor in their departure?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We had so many swallows this year that they became serious pests.

So, we bought Harry and since he's been flying around, no swallows. Yippee!

img_8101_1_180.jpg

Brilliant and pray tell which pet shop you bought Harry in:rolleyes: :confused:

Advertisement