Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini Android devices UG802/MK802/MK808

• 02-10-2012 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Not a phone so I'm not sure if it's the right forum but I'll soldier ahead anyways.

I got one of these UG802 devices today and it's fairly cool. It took that long to ship from China that a newer/better one called the mk808 has come out now. They seem like really cool little devices but the market for them is still in its infancy. Seems like a fair few little bugs and rough edges to smooth out but overall I'm impressed. I have it hooked up to my tv and have been messing with it but I've only ever used android on a phone so am not sure if there are any obvious apps I'm missing out on.

I'm waiting for some custom roms to come out so I haven't rooted it yet, there are some Chinese apps and stuff on the home-screen I'd like to get rid of. Has anyone any experiences of these or good things to do with them? Or any must-have apps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

i got it today also mate - i assume u got it from the bargain alerts thread :P
    will let u know tomorrow what i find out...
    the predecessor to this one had a forum for it somewhere online with custom firmware etc which removed the chinese things and added stuff in somewhat..
    im hoping the ug802 gets similar...
    i dont know will rooting do much. there isnt much need for it on this device.

as for what iv done in the 30 minutes i got it. installed netflix, facebook, firefox + the basics.
    was just checking netflix. the app works, but it wouldnt play for me through chrome...said needed to meet minimum spec... odd that...
    the wireless keyboard/mouse combo i got with it isnt anything special, more like a remote, just awkward use for lots of stuff so i wont be gaming on it. its more an easy plug and play pc to have netflix running, connect to home network movies/pictures/music
    or just stream rte player, sky player, soccer etc imo.

besides that i can imagine a few of the decent games like gta would run smooth enough on it.
    im wondering will my xbox controller connect to it via usb now and can i install GTA III haha.
    goddamn work getting in the way of life haha.

besides that my other thoughts were flashing windows XP or linux onto it which would be much more open, but not as easy/nice an interface as the android one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Sorry to hijack the thread lads but which one of these would be the current best value device that would give you the best bang for your buck? They seam to be changing every few weeks! I'd be buying ASAP as well if that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

pedatron wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread lads but which one of these would be the current best value device that would give you the best bang for your buck? They seam to be changing every few weeks! I'd be buying ASAP as well if that matters.

It depends what you want it for?

If you want to install XBMC on it then the only type to go for is one with an Amlogic chip in it as these are the only ones that have hardware acceleration in XBMC, the Allwinner or Rockchip do not.

The best Amlogic stick currently available IMO is the Geniatech ATV120 which has a dual core chip in it. Geniatech are OEM manufacturers for a lot of other companies so you may find it available under various different brand names.

invest4deepvalue.com

also so u know the wifi is very poor on this ug802. the maker had sinve released an upgraded mk model for a 5er extra which apparently solves the wifi issues.
    i have mine working fine. its just the wifi keyboard/mouse i use has to be switched off when turning it on, or the wifi wont work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Have a look here. Near the end.
    $40 Mk802 1Gb. Its Allwinner and might get stung for customs though.

• Advertisement

afaik that one had the same wifi issues i comolajndd about as it qas the predecessor to the ug802

• Registered Users Posts: 2 clueless86

I purchased the MK802 and was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get the netflix app on this.

I can't seem to download it as all links appear to be broken and some forums suggest that I can't use it on this device.

Some also said I would need the older version of netflix can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a mill!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Jet Black wrote: »
    Have a look here. Near the end.
    $40 Mk802 1Gb. Its Allwinner and might get stung for customs though.

Hopefully I should have one of these in the next couple of days but it did get stuck with customs though

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

I went for one of these MK808, just ordered it yesterday. So will let you know how it goes. It seemed to be the best spec for price I could see. I dont have any plans for using XBMC, and liked the size of this one compared to the ones with extra USB ports etc. I also got the air mouse and keyboard with it for another 20 dollars

clueless86 wrote: »
    I purchased the MK802 and was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get the netflix app on this.

I can't seem to download it as all links appear to be broken and some forums suggest that I can't use it on this device.

Some also said I would need the older version of netflix can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a mill!!

Netflix 1.8.1 is what you need, here it is can't guarantee it will work as I haven't tried it myself, but supposedly it does.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

briN_s wrote: »
    I went for one of these MK808, just ordered it yesterday. So will let you know how it goes. It seemed to be the best spec for price I could see. I dont have any plans for using XBMC, and liked the size of this one compared to the ones with extra USB ports etc. I also got the air mouse and keyboard with it for another 20 dollars

MK808 Finless Rom 1.5a will probably come in handy for you so.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've been waiting on my MK808 for 40 days from McBub. They're not exactly helpful either. Already started a dispute in paypal, gonna escalate it over the next few days if it doesn't arrive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Popey32

Was looking at getting one of these to mess around with xbmc. I've to many remotes around the house , so hoping i could get something like DroidMote (Play Store) working

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/droidmote-turns-android-phone-mk802-remote.html

Was looking at the NEO G4 Android 4.0 Dual-Core on dx.com Untill i read the comment about the Rockchip RK3066 not being great for XBMC

Popey32 wrote: »
    Was looking at getting one of these to mess around with xbmc.

I've been following a few forums such as the hardware forum on XBMC.org with a view to setting up XBMC and getting rid of my current subscription TV.

XBMC for Android is still very Beta and lots of things don't work still. From what I see the best solution for running XBMC on one of these sticks or set top boxes is the Pivos build of linux on one of the compatible Amlogic chipped boxes, but even then you are still looking at something that is quite buggy and you will be constantly addressing problems flashing new firmware and new builds of XBMC and you will still have something that doesn't function fully, is quite laggy etc.

On the other hand you can now build a Mini or Micro ITX based HTPC that will far surpass the performance of these Android sticks for about €130 for a basic one assuming no local HDD and running the OS off a thumb drive.

If you can afford to up your budget to €250 you can put together a very respectable machine with SSD for the OS, fanless CPU cooler etc.

In case it's important to you, just be aware that Netflix isn't compatible with Linux whatever hardware you go for, so If you want it you will need to run some version of Windows.

I won't get around to building a HTPC myself until well in to the New Year so I haven't decided a final spec yet but I have pretty much abandoned thoughts of going with an Android stick or STB and will instead expect to spend about €200 on a Windows based HTPC.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TheLastMile

Hey
    What do people think of this one here Its mk808.
    Regards

Hey
    What do people think of this one here Its mk808.
    Regards
    Ridiculously overpriced avoid that seller.;)

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement