Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible for oil and solid fuel to serve the one set of rads?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Hi peoples,

As my thread title asks I am wondering if its possible to service a set of radiators with both a solid fuel stove and oil. For argument sake is it possible to have a system set up where one could have the option of firing the rads from the oil one day and the solid fuel stove the following day?

More ideal still from my own point of view is it possible to perhaps use the oil and solid fuel at the same time to heat the rads during colder weather? I was talking to a man some years back and as I recall he told me he has the option of using both simultaneously.

In the past few weeks I was discussing the same with two different guys who would claim to be fairly well up on the plumbing. One suggested such was possible and the other suggested that it was very much impossible. Of course they were both 100% correct:rolleyes:

Hence I find myself here asking the question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Hi peoples,

As my thread title asks I am wondering if its possible to service a set of radiators with both a solid fuel stove and oil. For argument sake is it possible to have a system set up where one could have the option of firing the rads from the oil one day and the solid fuel stove the following day?

Yes.

More ideal still from my own point of view is it possible to perhaps use the oil and solid fuel at the same time to heat the rads during colder weather? I was talking to a man some years back and as I recall he told me he has the option of using both simultaneously.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

guy across the road from me has his heating set up just as you describe - he's a plumber himself and definitely knows his stuff - so I sorta think the first of your two friends is the one you should be listening to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

I originally had my back boiler in my fireplace and my oil burner servicing the central heating, you could use either system ie ;oil or coal or both together if you needed a fast heat up, now ive changed to a stove with boiler fitted and oil, its set up the same way, so the answer is yes ive been doing that for 24 years now..

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

yup, I had this system done when I built my house 4 years ago. It's basically called a dual system. What I found was that there were quiet a few of the newer/younger plumbers not particularly interested in doing it for 'lil 'ole me! I eventually got an elderly/close to retirement gent for the job. He had years upon years of experience as a plumber.

The copper cylinder (hot tank) in the hot press, is a 'double indirect' tank.

It's fierce handy to have, flick on the oil heating for the instant heat, while you light the fire. Don't forget to flick off the heating though, once the fire is lit!

You CAN'T have the oil AND the backboiler running together, cos once the fire starts to het the backboier (obviously) the pump kicks in to drive the hot water to the rads & hottank.

All my family has this system in their houses btw. While babysitting for my sister once, I had the heating on, and lit the fire, forgot to turn the heating off once the fire was established.... the rads were nearly white hot. I ran down the stairs so fast to flick off the heating, I took it 6 steps at a time! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

But wouldn't the stat on the boiler itself have regulated the temps? I would have thought that the pump on the boiler would run but not the burner due to the stove providing the heat.

Maybe i dont fully understand how your system works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

You CAN'T have the oil AND the backboiler running together, cos once the fire starts to het the backboier (obviously) the pump kicks in to drive the hot water to the rads & hottank.

lol

I run both together with no problems, that I am aware of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Sorry to hijack thread

How much would it cost do to do?

You are already have ofch.

1 - 1.2k for a stove with boiler, another 500-600e for the plumbing/work?

Sound about right?

How long would it take to get it all set up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

My late father ran a system like this in his 3-bed bungalow with oil and solid fuel.

Because it was a bungalow the set-up was different to a two-storey but it worked perfectly for donkey's years. He also kitted out his siblings houses in exactly the same way.

It is safe to leave a solid fuel burner going with no electricity to power the pumps in a two-storey once you open all the inlet valves on the rads. The hot water will rise and the circulation will happen naturally.

Cerco wrote: »

when you say that you run both together, (just so there is NO confusion) are you saying that you have the back boiler heating the rads & obviously the water, with a fire blazing away, and you ALSO have the oil central heating turned on?

Cos if thats the case (and please forgive my stupidity) what's the point of havin both running together at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It is perfectly normal to run both together, only issue you may have is possible trip on high limit stat on boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

when you say that you run both together, (just so there is NO confusion) are you saying that you have the back boiler heating the rads & obviously the water, with a fire blazing away, and you ALSO have the oil central heating turned on?

Yes

Cos if thats the case (and please forgive my stupidity) what's the point of havin both running together at the same time?
    e

Fire takes a while to get the back boiler going. The oil is much quicker. The combined heat from both ensures the hw cylinder is hot and the whole house is warm. Thermostats will control the oil boiler so it switches in and out as required to maintain temperature,.
    Nothing like an open fire on a cold night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Cerco wrote: »

You only need one pump and the boiler doesn't fire up when the stoves output is higher than what the boiler is set to. Well, thats the way mine is set up. I have the boiler set to come on in the morning and evening. I can light the stove if i want to and dont have to set anything or switch valves. Which is great as my wife isnt overly technically minded so i know there wont be any problems if i'm not there.

shedweller wrote: »
    You only need one pump and the boiler doesn't fire up when the stoves output is higher than what the boiler is set to. Well, thats the way mine is set up. I have the boiler set to come on in the morning and evening. I can light the stove if i want to and dont have to set anything or switch valves. Which is great as my wife isnt overly technically minded so i know there wont be any problems if i'm not there.

Jesus, I always did it the safe way. Mind you it's second nature now to remember to switch off the oil. The dual system is so very handy, I'd be lost wothout it. My other half wouldn't be too into it either, But I love it! I suppose i'm a bit of a tomboy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

shedweller wrote: »

Mines is the same, one pump and once the fire/stove heat overtakes the temp of the oil burner thermostat it knocks out the oil, the oil can be left on and will kick back in when the fire goes cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

As an addition to the question.....assuming the above set up with a back boiler and OFCH......is it also possible to have a zoned heating system with 3 to 4 zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

We use a system link box and it achieves the zoning. There's schematics for combined systems up on the system link site.

Advertisement