Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storing coffee beans in the Freezer?

• 02-10-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if this is recommended? How do you store your coffee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I put the open bags of beans in kilner jars. I rarely have a bag open for more than a few days.

I would avoid putting bags in and out of the freezer repeatedly as you'll most likely have bother with condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I grind straight from the freezer on big batches, taste weakens over time, but at a much slower rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

So if I used a good sealed container for storing it in the freezer to avoid condensation. Then took out only what I needed to grind at a time. I would be OK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

If I get a big order I usually extract all air from a few *unopened* bags (thru the CO2 filter) and lash them in the freezer.

When it comes time to use them I take them out, leave them unopened for a few hours, then transfer to a Parfait jar. They don't get returned to the freezer.

This technique really works - it buys a few weeks of freshness - and avoids any humidity issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I freeze unopened bags all the time. Works a treat for me. As Gran Hermano said, if you take them in and out you'll introduce condensation which isn't good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭caol ila

I haven't frozen any beans after I was warned that the coffee can absorb aromas from whatever else you have stored in your freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

@Caol ila: I don't see how that's possible, especially if the bag is unopened. If you are worried put the unopened bag in a freezer bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I've been getting the 1kg bags of Lavazza Rossa from Tesco for the last few months (best quality/price ratio I could find) and putting a few days worth of bean into an airtight container in the fridge before putting a clip on the big bag and putting that, in turn, into a large airtight container in the freezer. So it goes in and out every few days but I've never had a problem with condensation. By the time I'm getting to the end of the bag about 6 weeks later the taste has degraded somewhat but not enough that I'm willing to sacrifice the 'bulk' price and go back to smaller bags.

Advertisement