Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manhattan is no more?

• 03-10-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Fond memories of very late night incredibly greasy full breakfasts with a bottle of wine after a night of boozing...I just seen a photo on Facebook that the Manhattan is closed down. Can anyone confirm? Have been away for many years now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The Manhattan Chipper in Dún Laoghaire ?

21/25

pclancy wrote: »
    Fond memories of very late night incredibly greasy full breakfasts with a bottle of wine after a night of boozing...I just seen a photo on Facebook that the Manhattan is closed down. Can anyone confirm? Have been away for many years now.

Gone about three years, I think.

I preferred the Gig's Place around the corner, which is still going. Not been in it for years, though. Too old and settled in my ways, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gone about three years, I think.

I preferred the Gig's Place around the corner, which is still going. Not been in it for years, though. Too old and settled in my ways, I'm afraid.

yeah its closed at least 3 years, probably more.Always preferred the gig's as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Ah Jayus Aunty Mays is gone :(. God I loved that spot, having to knock on the door and waiting to get inside. Mixed grill, toast and an ice cold pint of milk while sitting at the counter. How nobody ever broke a neck on the steep stairs up to the toilets I'll never know.

Giggs place for the half and half beef curry washed down with a bottle of wine, I found out one night that the beef curry was corned beef and to this day make my own home made curries this way.

Damn thinking of the Manhattan has raised memories of crappy bedsits in Rathmines, the Garda club, naughty Roberts, night owls, the Barge that used to float on the canal, that snooker club in town where you could get drink before hitting an early house and of course Buck Whaleys on leeson street for a super expensive bottle of Blue Nun the taste of which you had to expunge by consuming a dodgy street bought hot dog.

Fcuk it, oh to be a young student again. Balancing a couple of large bottles of guinness in the Garda club while trying to chat up a young bank of Ireland teller from Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Haha yeah good times eh. I remember bringing birds to buck whaleys without realising they only sold wine and then getting fleeced for thirty euro bottles. Not a good luck and no wonder I never scored in those days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Ah Jayus Aunty Mays is gone :(. God I loved that spot, having to knock on the door and waiting to get inside. Mixed grill, toast and an ice cold pint of milk while sitting at the counter. How nobody ever broke a neck on the steep stairs up to the toilets I'll never know.

Giggs place for the half and half beef curry washed down with a bottle of wine, I found out one night that the beef curry was corned beef and to this day make my own home made curries this way.

Damn thinking of the Manhattan has raised memories of crappy bedsits in Rathmines, the Garda club, naughty Roberts, night owls, the Barge that used to float on the canal, that snooker club in town where you could get drink before hitting an early house and of course Buck Whaleys on leeson street for a super expensive bottle of Blue Nun the taste of which you had to expunge by consuming a dodgy street bought hot dog.

Fcuk it, oh to be a young student again. Balancing a couple of large bottles of guinness in the Garda club while trying to chat up a young bank of Ireland teller from Mayo.

And then trying to get in to the Irish Times club in Fleet St before hitting Aunty Mays for the coup de grace. God be with the days.
    Or the rare occasion of a Monday night, Powers Hotel in Kildare st. Ye might be lucky and meet a Garda from home who would throw you a few pints.
    Another option was the Boars Head in Capel st for the Jervis St nurses finishing night duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Yep, Manhattan is closed. Some memories, pics and history here:

http://comeheretome.com/2012/09/11/the-manhattan-and-other-late-night-eateries/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Always admired how when the whole of that area was being pulled down the Manhattan remained steadfast. Sad to see it go. Had some good coffees and discussions in that place in the wee small hours.

Advertisement