Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you more numerate than the majority of the British Labour Party?

• 03-10-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

A British polling company conducted a survey of British MPs to find out how they rated their numeracy skills, and how their perception of themselves matched the reality.

77% of Tories thought they had a good grasp of numbers.

72% of Labours MPs believed the same about themselves.

They were then asked the following puzzle: if you spin a coin twice, what's the probablity of getting two heads.

77% of the Labour members got it incorrrect. Which probably goes some way to explaining the state of Britain's economy and financial sector!! I still can't get my head around long division, and even I figured it out! :pac:

So...are you smarter than a Labour MP?

Answer to the conundrum is:
    stop cheating :)

25%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19801666

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

1/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Einhard wrote: »
    I haven'still can't get my head around long division, and even I figured it out! :pac:

Congratulations, your maths is adequate. Now, about your grammar ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Skid wrote: »

Wash yer jocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Skid wrote: »

Thank God there's no grammar-based prohibition on joining Irish political parties!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I wonder what % of the Irish labour party would get that right. They'd probably try to tax the fcuking coin we are flipping.

A coin-flipping tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What if it's a two-headed coin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Where To wrote: »

My god...this coin-monster will kill us all.

Depends which side it starts on, there's a slightly higher chance of that coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Where To wrote: »

*Head explodes*

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Probably...

I'm really terrible at math; but probably...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Einhard wrote: »
    *Head explodes*
    That would leave no heads? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I knew the answer but unfortunately I'm pretty bad at maths, so to answer your question, yes I am, if based on that one question. If more than that...perhaps not.

Would love/dread to see the results of a similar poll conducted on TD's if 47% of mainly top Public (ie private) school educated Conservatives got the question wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

if you spin it it could stay up on it's edge so the answer is not 1/4 but ever so slightly less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if you spin it it could stay up on it's edge so the answer is not 1/4 but ever so slightly less than that.

Any figures on how many of them got it correct and gave this answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The OP extrapolates from 77% of 44 to the majority of the LP. Not good statistics!

Also, you wouldn't decide whether a person is numerate based on a single question (especially one which is based on probability).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

This question isn't really maths or numeracy. It's probability.

Advertisement