Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a carrot cake (loaf) recipe into cupcakes?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to make carrot cupcakes at the weekend and I have a Darina Allen recipe from her 'Ballymaloe Cookery Course' book for carrot cake which is baked in a loaf tin - just wondering if I could bake it as carrot cupcakes instead? I guess if I did I'd have to adjust the cooking time?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Shouldn't be a problem, just reduce the cooking time. Check them after 20 minutes. I'd cook them at about 160-170 as well, just in case her temp is much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Faith wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a problem, just reduce the cooking time. Check them after 20 minutes. I'd cook them at about 160-170 as well, just in case her temp is much higher.

Thanks Faith - is the 160/170 temp for a fan oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

That sounds about right to me

I did that with a recipe last year and it turned out fine

Better to have a lower temp and have to leave them in for 10 mins longer than to have it too high and dry them out too much

OP I was using a fan oven and around the 170 mark

Yeah, 160 will be fine for a fan oven. Top tip though, you'll get better baking results with a conventional oven setting if it's available to you. I'd do them at 170 conventional. The fans cause the batter to blow around and can cause uneven rising or domed tops :).

Yeah, 160 will be fine for a fan oven. Top tip though, you'll get better baking results with a conventional oven setting if it's available to you. I'd do them at 170 conventional. The fans cause the batter to blow around and can cause uneven rising or domed tops :).

Thanks a mil Faith, and to the other poster too:) I think ours is a fan oven alright (I'm not even sure!) - No I think it is alright:o

So I'll give them a whirl at 160 and see how I go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ghartley

Yeah you can use them but u will have to adjust the cooking time :)

Ok getting slightly panicky now - they're in the oven over 20 mins and still no sign of them being done!! In fact it looks like the haven't changed at all since I put them in the oven!

The original cooking time for the loaf cake was 1 and 3 quarter to 2 hours so maybe the cupcakes would take longer than 20 mins also? God I hope they're not rotten now - If they ever actually bake that is!!

I assume they're done by now. I based my 20 minute statement on average cupcakes, but I didn't realise the cooking time was so much longer. If I'd known that, I would have said to leave them longer. I'm sure they're lovely!

I assume they're done by now. I based my 20 minute statement on average cupcakes, but I didn't realise the cooking time was so much longer. If I'd known that, I would have said to leave them longer. I'm sure they're lovely!

It's ok faith - I expected them to be more sponge like but thee was a lot I'd ingredients (dessicated coconut, walnuts and sultanas and grated carrot) that it wasn't really a cake batter so even though they didn't look done they actually were!

They turned out ok actually with my cream cheese icing piped on top! I'm very proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

If you have a food processor use it to blitz the carrots instead of grating them. It will make the buns much more cakey. I find grating them makes the cakes almost breast in texture.

• Advertisement

If you have a food processor use it to blitz the carrots instead of grating them. It will make the buns much more cakey. I find grating them makes the cakes almost breast in texture.

That's a very good idea annamcmahon - I'll keep that in mind in future! :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find grating them makes the cakes almost breast in texture.

:eek: Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Can you tell I spend a lot of time in breastfeeding based Facebook groups? Lol. That should have said bread texture

Advertisement