Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for "Non -Residents"

Options
  • 03-10-2012 8:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all,

I work away for over half the year(6 weeks home 6 weeks away) and holidays on top of that, for taxation person I am classed as non-resident. So Im finding it impossible to get travel or wedding insurance and other insurances for that matter. Can anyone suggest somewhere who are willing to deal with individuals such as myself? or a way around this clause!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You must be resident somewhere, so why not buy whatever cover you need there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭fits

You must be resident somewhere, so why not buy whatever cover you need there?

I am interested in the answer to this question too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

Henry I live in ireland, I have a house and family here but..... I am only in ireland for 280 days over a 2 year period which therefore counts me as non resident. I work at sea, so Im not in any particular country when I am away.... so no... I am not resident anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

go to a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

elhal wrote: »
    Henry I live in ireland, I have a house and family here but..... I am only in ireland for 280 days over a 2 year period which therefore counts me as non resident. I work at sea, so Im not in any particular country when I am away.... so no... I am not resident anywhere!

According to Revenue rules, if you are in Ireland for at least 280 days over a two year period, you are regarded as resident for the second year.

• Advertisement

Hognef Im in Ireland for LESS than 280 days over every 2 year period...... so Im never resident! so 2010/2011 2011/2012 etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Being resident for taxation purposes isn't exactly the same as being resident for insurance purposes. Speak to broker, explain it in details and i am sure you will be able to get insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Try world nomads for travel insurance.

Have tried them they wont do it! thanks for the suggestion though much appreciated

Advertisement