Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too paranoid for social net working?

• 03-10-2012 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

Are some folk to influenced by Jim Corr, George Orwells '1984' and The X files or am i being nieve?
    The current rash of status updates on a well known social networking site bemuse me. These updates basically warn that this site has access to your personal information and that the US Govt, The Men in Black, M15, The KGB and possibly The IRA will use this information to come and get ya.
    Personally I dont think pics of my cat asleep in a sauce pan, me giving out about James Reilly or saying happy birthday to my kids will land me in court for sedition. At the most i think i will get more baby products appearing in the windows on the right of my screen.
    Seriously if anyone has any info that The US Govt want I dont think they will be chatting about it on a public net working site.
    Am i missing something.....
    The Truth is Out There........
    Ghost Buster (Not real name)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I watching you through your webcam right now ya durty fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Are some folk to influenced by Jim Corr, George Orwells '1984' and The X files or am i being nieve?
    The current rash of status updates on a well known social networking site bemuse me. These updates basically warn that this site has access to your personal information and that the US Govt, The Men in Black, M15, The KGB and possibly The IRA will use this information to come and get ya.
    Personally I dont think pics of my cat asleep in a sauce pan, me giving out about James Reilly or saying happy birthday to my kids will land me in court for sedition. At the most i think i will get more baby products appearing in the windows on the right of my screen.
    Seriously if anyone has any info that The US Govt want I dont think they will be chatting about it on a public net working site.

Nope just too fookin stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

People who just follow others without spending 1 minute looking up about what utter shìte they're talking about.

Also no concept of law, at all.

Still, it's handy in a way. Like an annual cull of people to ignore :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Jim Corr, 1984 and the X Files are all works of fiction.

Just wondering all the same if a 'Death to the US imperialist infidels' FB status is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A major problem with CT is that they give governments way too much credit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Thanks for that. See ya in Guantonimo ya ****..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So, which fake name is it?

Also, you are being very nieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

If you don't realise that any information you put on the internet can potentially be seen by anyone anywhere, then you really shouldn't be using it, IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The human condition is to naturally assume that you are the centre of the universe.

It's an egotistical flaw that some people believe this to actually be true and so believe that facebook, CIA, governments, etc will give a **** about photos of their cats and their mundane musings on their facebook wall.

The information on facebook is only of interest to advertisers and your friends. The government literally has no use for it unless you're dumb enough to log your criminal exploits on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Facebook is part owned by the CIA-that is a fact. What they might be doing through their involvement I'll leave the theorists to speculate on.
    Facebook's most recent round of funding was led by a company called Greylock Venture Capital, who put in the sum of $27.5m. One of Greylock's senior partners is called Howard Cox, another former chairman of the NVCA, who is also on the board of In-Q-Tel. What's In-Q-Tel? Well, believe it or not (and check out their website), this is the venture-capital wing of the CIA. After 9/11, the US intelligence community became so excited by the possibilities of new technology and the innovations being made in the private sector, that in 1999 they set up their own venture capital fund, In-Q-Tel, which "identifies and partners with companies developing cutting-edge technologies to help deliver these solutions to the Central Intelligence Agency and the broader US Intelligence Community (IC) to further their missions".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook?INTCMP=SRCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have unsubscribed to every person on my news feed that posted it.

CIA poked FBI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Light Switch likes this!

Anybody getting that ****e everyone is posting about the private messages becoming public?

So annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

seamus wrote: »
    The human condition is to naturally assume that you are the centre of the universe.

It's an egotistical flaw that some people believe this to actually be true and so believe that facebook, CIA, governments, etc will give a **** about photos of their cats and their mundane musings on their facebook wall.

The information on facebook is only of interest to advertisers and your friends. The government literally has no use for it unless you're dumb enough to log your criminal exploits on there.
    But wouldn't that prove they're watching us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1ZRed wrote: »
    But wouldn't that prove they're watching us ;)
    In the same way that writing "I shot JR" on your t-shirt and subsequently being arrested for shooting JR is proof that you were under surveillance ;)

Advertisement