Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Let's give AIB a round of applause

• 03-10-2012 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭

The genius' running this bank decided today that wouldn't it be clever of them to up the variable interest rate by 0.5%, only 2 days after the taxpayer paid a €1bn bond for them. Blatant balaclava wearing, robbing thuggery by AIB.

This country really needs to start getting violent. Now would be a good time for a coup, as Enda, Eamon, Lucinda, Varadker et al, are all in Europe today, leaving Ruairi Quinn in charge, I believe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

flanzer wrote: »
    The genius' running this bank decided today that wouldn't it be clever of them to up the variable interest rate by 0.5%, only 2 days after the taxpayer paid a €1bn bond for them. Blatant balaclava wearing, robbing thuggery by AIB.

This country really needs to start getting violent. Now would be a good time for a coup, as Enda, Eamon, Lucinda, Varadker et al, are all in Europe today, leaving Ruairi Quinn in charge, I believe

leaving Ruairi Quinn in charge:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cos Ruairi Quinn was smokin' marijuana in the Dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Financial thuggery, I don't know about a coup though as much as I'd like it, Who would we have to lead it ??

What I would like to know is why do we need/or have AIB ? Aren't we supposed to be in a common market so why don't we use/or have the choice of other banks that are also in the E.U. common market ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Cos Ruairi Quinn was smokin' marijuana in the Dail

They're all gone to pot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hey, banksa needa to makeh da monnee

They reduced the interest paid on savings this month as well, where's the thread on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

ronaneire wrote: »
    They're all gone to pot

Dopes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Try being with PTSB.

Would love to be with AIB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wanna see the constitution burn

wanna watch the oireachtais overturned

wanna witness some blueblood bleed red

murder the government
    murder the government
    murder the government
    murder the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

AIB are struggling with loss making. Wonder if that's got anything to do with them not lending anyone any money. Someone should explain to them how banks are supposed to stay profitable by lending money instead of hoarding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Blatant balaclava wearing, robbing thuggery

You'll find, like all the best thieves, they wear suits rather than balaclavas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

We are paying for a bankrupt bank in two ways. On the one hand our taxes have gone up and benefits cut and now a 1 point increase in the last two months when the ECB has decreased rates and kept them at an all time low.

It is basically costing me an extra €150 a month based on the last two increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm just waiting for my wages to go into my Ulsterbank account so I can close my AIB account for good. Was charged 25 euro for 3 months worth of transactions, fúck that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Stupid people who were stupid enough to fall for Fianna Fail's property ponzi scheme deserve what is coming to them really. What is needed is to make people pay their loans or else leave them with nothing.

As a taxpayer I'd rather the banks get more money from their customers than from the exchequer. This doesn't bother me as I don't have debts and anything I buy, whether it cars, property or holidays I always save up for and fund them myself. So really it is only people who were gullible enough to borrow thousands who are effected. Financial darwinism if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I wanna see the constitution burn

wanna watch the oireachtais overturned

wanna witness some blueblood bleed red

murder the government
    murder the government
    murder the government
    murder the government

Catchy. I vote this should be our next Eurovision entry. I hear it in a Megadeth type tune but why am I thinking Sinead O Connor would be perfect to sing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

where the fcuk is the 65 Billion gone that the taxpayer gave them :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Cue the next round of problems for this country. Mass mortgage defaults.

We going to look back in 50 years, like we're currently looking back on the sexual abuse atrocities, knowing that it's happening right in front of ours eyes, yet do nothing about it. We really are a bunch of gutless wonders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Stinicker wrote: »
    Stupid people who were stupid enough to fall for Fianna Fail's property ponzi scheme deserve what is coming to them really. What is needed is to make people pay their loans or else leave them with nothing.

As a taxpayer I'd rather the banks get more money from their customers than from the exchequer. This doesn't bother me as I don't have debts and anything I buy, whether it cars, property or holidays I always save up for and fund them myself. So really it is only people who were gullible enough to borrow thousands who are effected. Financial darwinism if you will.

You must have lived at home with mammy and daddy for an awful long time. Did you pay for your house in coins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Lambsbread wrote: »
    We are paying for a bankrupt bank in two ways. On the one hand our taxes have gone up and benefits cut and now a 1 point increase in the last two months when the ECB has decreased rates and kept them at an all time low.

It is basically costing me an extra €150 a month based on the last two increases.

You're forgetting the bank chanrges that you'll also incur unless you're able to sustain a €3000 current account balance.

Has anyone calculated the increase in expenditure for the average householder since Jan 2012?

I'm thinking car fuel, domestic gas and electricity, mortgage increase, bank charges, household charge ... and inflation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No increases for me, I'm renting. Dead money indeed.

BUWHAHAHAHAHA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

For such an all knowing superior being to the rest of us, one would think you would know the difference between affected and effected........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Good news for savers. . . .

Plenty of people have mortgages etc and are quite able and happy to honour their debts so no need for your sweeping moronic financial darwinism speel. The entire population of the country isn't on the scratch or struggling financially.

While I agree with you that the taxpayer should have to support the banks anymore, the rates they are charging are higher than in other European countries. I just checked quickly and rates in France are around 3.1% variable. We are paying more because because after pumping billions into our banks over the last 4 years we have still not managed to make them competitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

First against the wall when the revolution comes.

I suppose you know for sure that you'll always have a job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

That 1bn was paid by AIB to AIB bond holders. They are simply passing on that cost to you, their customer.

I completely agree that all insolvent banks should be allowed fail and paying these unsecured bonds which further impacts the balance sheets and drives the cost of borrowing up will only serve to bring that day closer. Death by a thousand cuts.

Thank you Enda you gutless, spineless wimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Round of applause? I'd sooner give them clap!

Bank owned by tax payer has to make money back from tax payer to offset tax payers money it ill-invested in the taxpayer. Ugh.

connundrum wrote: »
    You're forgetting the bank chanrges that you'll also incur unless you're able to sustain a €3000 current account balance.

Has anyone calculated the increase in expenditure for the average householder since Jan 2012?

I'm thinking car fuel, domestic gas and electricity, mortgage increase, bank charges, household charge ... and inflation.

I am "lucky" enough to have my day-to-day banking with Ulster so no fees for another year :)

It annoys me as well that we are 4 years into this crisis and still it is not looking close to being resolved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Like someone said, what are the choices? From what I can see, the only political route is to vote for a radical group like Sinn Fein. They wouldn't be long telling the EU and FF/FG and Banking f'ers where to go.:D

Could they do more damage in one term that bertie did in 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Financial darwinism if you will.

another smug post

why don't you look at the bigger picture smartarse, people need money to spend in the economy for the Country to get back on its feet, this ain't going to happen with people being tortured with high mortgages

but you're okay "for now" so I suppose thats all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Let's give AIB a round of applause...

Yea, lets give all the bosses the clap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Aren't you great.
    I'm sure you appreciate that a lot of people aren't in a position to save up and buy property ffs.

Plazaman wrote: »
    Catchy. I vote this should be our next Eurovision entry. I hear it in a Megadeth type tune but why am I thinking Sinead O Connor would be perfect to sing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You've never borrowed money ? Even the wealthy rely on credit at times. Seriously, climb out from under mommys apron and see how the real world works.

Great - they are one step closer to not needing any more money from the state.

Aren't you great.
    I'm sure you appreciate that a lot of people aren't in a position to save up and buy property ffs.

The lad is talking through his ring, he was in school during the boom. His "shrewdness" is nothing but hindsight. He's not even one of those f**ktards who could never get a mortgage who now claim they were shrewd in not doing so.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »
    You've never borrowed money ? Even the wealthy rely on credit at times. Seriously, climb out from under mommys apron and see how the real world works.
    Gordon Gekko is alive and well an posting on boards.ie
    I've never borrowed either. I have zero debt, i am my own master, everything i own. Frugality is not stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Cue the next round of problems for this country. Mass mortgage defaults.

We going to look back in 50 years, like we're currently looking back on the sexual abuse atrocities, knowing that it's happening right in front of ours eyes, yet do nothing about it. We really are a bunch of gutless wonders

+1.

We are are a bunch of gutless spineless drones in Ireland. I bank with AIB but have no loans with them, I'm in the process of jumping ship.

If the vast majority of people actually changed from them they'd be relying on load repayments and would eventually go under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

kingtiger wrote: »
    where the fcuk is the 65 Billion gone that the taxpayer gave them :confused:

They needed it to pay for their new uniforms.

In my town all the counters bar 1 have been removed and replaced with machines:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

MagicSean wrote: »
    AIB are struggling with loss making. Wonder if that's got anything to do with them not lending anyone any money. Someone should explain to them how banks are supposed to stay profitable by lending money instead of hoarding it.

But if they don't have it to lend, how can they do this? They can't borrow at high interest rates to loan out at lower interest rates which would only cost them more money.

Upping their interest rates is of course a way of getting more money into the bank to do this???

I know banks are the anti Christ and all that but they are still business’s at the moment and they still have to try and operate and make some money.

Those who have mortgages with the banks are their customers who they can make some money off. Thats the reality im afraid.

If they don't, then they will just announce more losses, which the tax payer is just liable for.

And before im accused of it im not a banker nor work in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

CucaFace wrote: »
    But if they don't have it to lend, how can they do this? They can't borrow at high interest rates to loan out at lower interest rates which would only cost them more money.

Upping their interest rates is of course a way of getting more money into the bank to do this???

I know banks are the anti Christ and all that but they are still business’s at the moment and they still have to try and operate and make some money.

Those who have mortgages with the banks are their customers who they can make some money off. Thats the reality im afraid.

If they don't, then they will just announce more losses, which the tax payer is just liable for.

And before im accused of it im not a banker nor work in one.

They never had it in the first place to lend, thats the problem with the current banking system!

• Advertisement

harry21 wrote: »
    They never had it in the first place to lend, thats the problem with the current banking system!

Yes thats true.

But it was the name of the game. Stupidly.

Then of course you can say that those who took out the mortages also never had it to pay back either.

In hindsight its easy say these things of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

we wont do a thing about it. we will just sit at home and moan about the whole situation. we should take the lead from spain and greece and get on the streets and demonstrate. then the government might sit up and listen to the population.

But we just love taking it up the bum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Biggins wrote: »
    Yea, lets give all the bosses the clap!

Have fun.

darrcow wrote: »
    we wont do a thing about it. we will just sit at home and moan about the whole situation. we should take the lead from spain and greece and get on the streets and demonstrate. then the government might sit up and listen to the population.

But we just love taking it up the bum :D

Yes because all those demonstrations have actually worked...... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Economist Dr. Constantin Gurdgiev has a few words on "The logic of Irish Government's policy on the banking crisis":
    Fallacy 3:
    Government Position: Mortgages crisis must be dealt with while protecting family homes, where feasible.
    Irish Banks Response: jack up variable mortgages rates, thus making homeownership less sustainable for many financially stressed homeowners.
    Which part of this 'market' is rational?
    Note the 'quotes' around 'market'.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

This country really needs to start getting violent.

I'm with ya, some skull's need a cracking. However, we're too lazy to even have decent protests in this country.
    Last time there was a proper protest in Ireland was about 8 years ago I think. So solidarity march for union workers and everyone took the day off. In typical Irish style as soon as the march was over people headed to the pub. :rolleyes:

We're too feckless as a nation, that's just one of the many reasons behind this entire mess we're in. Most of us simply do not care enough, we're too selfish. But this isn't a new thing. Look down through our history, it's a common trait though it. "Keep the head down and go about your own business & don't worry about anyone else."

I think a coup is what's needed here and lynch every single bank boss and cabinet member for the past 15 years. Then kick all the current politicians out and go all Czech Republic on them and not allow any single one of them back into politics for at least 20 years so we can start afresh. Plus if you want a ministerial role you must have at least attained a doctorate in that subject. Otherwise, feck off and go back to teaching pimply teenagers back in the arsehole of Mayo, or Leitrim or whatever backwater you're from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MagicSean wrote: »

It's ironic that they now think more than twice about lending money for risky ventures like businesses on the verge of folding, or property deals, unlike in the good old days when they were throwing money out the door to any old tool and his crazy scheme, and not thinking that the tool might not be able to pay it back.

Banks have got short memories when it comes to bale-outs, and feckin long memories where the average customer with an overdraft or small loan is concerned.

Fuckin snakes!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

We'll wait until near Christmas for the protest, so we can all head for Newry to do the shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SiegHeilNosey

Theres an awful lack of unity in this country. There should be groups, or associations representing people with mortgages in certain banks. Im sure if everyone in a particular group refused to pay their mortgages until that decision was reversed, i dont think it would take long.

I dont have a mortgage so wont be starting any group related to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Edna is some bollocks to allow this and he pisses off to Brussels then

• Advertisement
Advertisement