Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your boat course

• 03-10-2012 9:51am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

These course cover Mechanics & winterisation, Electrics and fiberglassing and will take place in the harbour buildings Kilbeggan, for more info http://www.iwai.ie/download/KnowyourBoatCourse2012.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Cheers for this Fergal, only after seeing it now! I have myself signed up for the mechanics and electrics anyway!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

alan1990 wrote: »
    Cheers for this Fergal, only after seeing it now! I have myself signed up for the mechanics and electrics anyway!

Good for you, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Just home from this course! Have to say it was definetly worth while heading up to it! Peter Stopford, a marine engineer was giving the course! Very knowledgeable guy and very good at explaining things, more than happy to answer any question aswell!
    They had an engine and various parts (water pump, starter motor, alternator etc) to have a look at!
    I'd defo recommend it if it comes up again for anyone who's looking for a bit more info on maintaining their engine!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Now entering their twelfth year, the Know Your Boat courses continue to receive high levels of praise from participants. People with a range of different skill levels attend including a growing number of lady skippers taking the courses. Remember it’s important for both the Skipper and the First Mate to have an understanding of their boat.

The objectives of the courses are:

• to enable participants to be familiar and comfortable in maintaining their craft and dealing with maintenance and repairs, mechanical and electrical components of the boat, including engines, transmissions, controls, electrics, hull, superstructure, bilges, fittings and weather proofing

• to outline how simple service procedures are carried out and enable participants to cut down on running costs by highlighting the importance of good routine maintenance and demonstrating engine servicing routines with a full size engine

• to enable participants to be familiar and comfortable with wintering and new season preparations of their boats and be able to troubleshoot in the event of a failure

The dates for the 2016 courses are:
    • Mechanics & Winterisation Course – Sat 5 November 9.00am to 1.00pm
    • Electrics Course – Sat 5 November 2.00pm to 6pm
    The courses are presented by experienced instructors supported by experienced boat users. All courses involve practical demonstration and encourages interaction and discussion on individuals specific boats (bring any pictures of equipment on your boat you may wish to discuss) Courses will take place in the beautiful restored Harbour Buildings, Kilbeggan

The course costs are
    1. Mechanics & Winterisation Course - €60 IWAI members, €70 non IWAI members
    2. Electrics Course - €60 IWAI members, €70 non IWAI members
    Courses 1 & 2 booked together €110 IWAI members, €130 non IWAI members, Contact by Text on 0872509209 to book a place. Advance booking is required. Early booking is recommended.
    Gift Vouchers are available

Advertisement