Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer made on site - waiting game on

Options
  • 03-10-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I made an offer on a site on Monday morning. It was 39% short of the asking price the auctioneer had up. But 35% short of what the actual owner put up on another site.
    Auctioneer wasn't impressed and said he didn't think it would be accepted. I told him I was putting offers in on other sites so I wasn't going to be waiting around. He said he'd let me know that evening.
    I never heard a word since. I was speaking to another auctioneer from the same town yesterday. I was asking about sites he has. His prices were the same as the other guys, I said they were too high and that I had an offer on a site at the moment. He waffled on and then let slip the amount I had offered on the site on Monday, I hadn't told him how much I offered. I didn't let him know that he slipped up.
    I suspect the towns auctioneers are playing us.
    I then rang 2 more auctioneers from the same town to view sites and houses.
    So where do I go from here? I really want the site I bid on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I would say you just wait.
    Never get too attached to a property or at the very least never let the vendor know how much you want it.

Does the site have planning ?
    How long has the site been for sale ?

I would also say do not up your offer, especially if suddenly a new alternate bidder appears.
    Although if you desperately want it and can "afford" it feel free to give the vendor what they want.

AFAIK site prices have not gone up whereas agri land prices have been holding their own.

I know of some sites which they have been advertised for a few years and the sellers haven't dropped their asking prices in all that time.
    Some eejits still think their 1/2 acre site in the middle of nowhere, not even beside a village or town, is worth 10 to 20 times the price of agricultural land in the area.
    And to make this even whackier some of the sites don't even have planning.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

No there is no planning on it. I asked for it subject to planning. There is a derelict cottage on it and i shouldn't have much trouble getting planning. It's only been up for sale for about 2 weeks. It has a few acres with it and it's very rural, i fear that it might go quick. Well thats what the auctioneers are saying anyway, anything with a bit of land....... There's no services on the land, I would need to bring electricity quite a distance and drill a well. I think I'll just keep searching and putting offers in, I'm sure it'll get back to the auctioneer if i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Superdaddy wrote: »
    There is a derelict cottage on it and i shouldn't have much trouble getting planning.
    Check around to see if someone tried to sell the cottage + land in the past, as opposed to site + cottage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

No there is no planning on it. I asked for it subject to planning. There is a derelict cottage on it .

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that a derelict house is treated the same as a greenfield site these days,giving no particular advantage to obtaining planning permission.
    Don't rush your bidding anyway as it's a buyers market at the moment and it's likely you're the only bidder, unless the local farmers are looking to buy the cottage to get the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No there is no planning on it. I asked for it subject to planning. There is a derelict cottage on it and i shouldn't have much trouble getting planning.

How derelict ?
    Is it livable ?
    Does it have a roof and 4 walls ?
    I know in some counties if the existing house is unlivable it is considered a green field site and that usually makes planning much harder.
    It's only been up for sale for about 2 weeks. It has a few acres with it and it's very rural, i fear that it might go quick. Well thats what the auctioneers are saying anyway, anything with a bit of land.......

How fast it goes as pure farmland depends on the neighbours, if they really want the land and also what quality of land it is.
    I know some "farmland" that has been for sale for ages.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Check around to see if someone tried to sell the cottage + land in the past, as opposed to site + cottage.

Also check if there ever was any planning applications on it.
    housetypeb wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I was under the impression that a derelict house is treated the same as a greenfield site these days,giving no particular advantage to obtaining planning permission.

Exactly.
    If it is derelict in the true sense then it will usually be treated as a green field site.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »
    No there is no planning on it. I asked for it subject to planning. There is a derelict cottage on it and i shouldn't have much trouble getting planning.

How derelict ?
    Is it livable ?
    Does it have a roof and 4 walls ?
    I know in some counties if the existing house is unlivable it is considered a green field site and that usually makes planning much harder.
    It's only been up for sale for about 2 weeks. It has a few acres with it and it's very rural, i fear that it might go quick. Well thats what the auctioneers are saying anyway, anything with a bit of land.......

How fast it goes as pure farmland depends on the neighbours, if they really want the land and also what quality of land it is.
    I know some "farmland" that has been for sale for ages.
    the_syco wrote: »

Also check if there ever was any planning applications on it.
    housetypeb wrote: »

Exactly.
    If it is derelict in the true sense then it will usually be treated as a green field site.
    It's got all the walls and what appears a good roof. It never had electricity or plumbing. It has 3 rooms, one has a large open fireplace. It was bought by the local farmer surrounding it about 5 years ago with about 30 acres around it. He sold this part off to a couple for 125k they are looking for 95k now. I offered 60k. I've lost out on 2 other places in recent times, i was out bid, hopefully 3rd time lucky. Still waiting....

The offer was refused.... Next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's your max budget? (before you answer, are you sure the sellers/agent don't read this forum as you have done enough now to identify the property I'd say)

Advertisement