Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy Work in Melbourne/Sydney

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

Bear in mind that you will need a 7 in the academic IELTS for the skills assessment by ICAA. Don't make the same mistake I did and do the general training like everyone else!

Also you will need a copy of your membership cert when applying for the skills assessment. This is a bit of a pain to get as it has to be signed by several people after a meeting where you are admitted to membership. I got mine about 6 weeks after my training contract finished. Make sure you have your CA diary sorted out and remember that you can't submit it until after your official training contract finish date.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

I was speaking with one of the global accounting firms in a major town outside Perth and they are having difficulty getting qualified charetered accountants.

Maybe look beyond Sydney / Melbourne...

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

anyone have any updates on the job market at the moment?

i'm now on a de-facto 457 rather than WHV. Would this be more appealing to employers? I would have thought so, but suppose it doesnt make a difference if there is no jobs out there

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

should make a difference alright

When my girlfriend went defacto this time last year, the recruiters were much more positive with her as she could be put forward for most jobs whereas alot of jobs previously she would have been immediately disregarded as the companies were not willing to take on a whv

She got a job very soon after going defacto (but i guess the job market now may not be similar to this time last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

well im working but just not in the type of job i would have wanted, so might look again.

think id have a case of irish guilt leaving an employer after three months though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

I'm working in Sydney in a role for last 4 months and sponsorship process is underway. I know a lot of accountants here, some recently arrived and others have been here a few months now, and all are working or getting interviews at the minimum. The contract accounting market seems good right now, but then again it is coming up to year end so that will have a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Lis9

Hi there, I was looking for info on moving to Sydney as a CA w 1.5yrs PQE & came across this thread. I notice the info was posted a couple of yrs ago & wondering if ppl can tell me whether the market is better for jobs now? I'm thinking of saving now & moving over in Sept. I don't know anybody over there & would be going on my own. I'm 31. Not sure about which visas I'm able to or should apply for. Any advice greatly appreciated & happy new year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

From what I gather, the market is okay at the moment. You are in a good position- with especially with two years pqe when you get here.

If you are moving to one of the big cities, the majority of jobs are in financial services - banks, insurance etc. If you have experience in that area you should not have a problem. When i moved here my background was industry but I had to change as it would have been difficult to get a job otherwise.

Re visa. You have a couple of options.
    1. Working holiday visa - will cover you for one year but you can't work with same employer for more than six months. If you work for a company for 6 months, they may elect to sponsor you on a 457 4 yr visa at the end of the sponsorship.

2. Permanent Resident visa: this costs thousands of dollars and takes months to process. However, it lasts for 5 yrs, no employment restrictions and you are eligible for Medicare when you arrive in Australia. You should be eligible (30pts for age, 10 for work experience, and 20 for sitting the English exam).
    immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

emclau wrote: »
    F

Re visa. You have a couple of options.
    1. Working holiday visa - will cover you for one year but you can't work with same employer for more than six months. If you work for a company for 6 months, they may elect to sponsor you on a 457 4 yr visa at the end of the sponsorship.

2. Permanent Resident visa: this costs thousands of dollars and takes months to process. However, it lasts for 5 yrs, no employment restrictions and you are eligible for Medicare when you arrive in Australia. You should be eligible (30pts for age, 10 for work experience, and 20 for sitting the English exam).
    immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

Just to note, I think the OP has missed the boat for the WHV being 31 years old. I believe (but may be incorrect) that you cannot have turned 31 to qualify for the first WHV so sponsorship or PR would be the only way in.

Oh and I've sat the English exam......getting the 20 points is much harder than it may seem going in so I'd advise people to study before it. I could only manage a 7 in the reading and even though I had an average of 8.5, you need an 8 in each of the four sections to get the 20 points

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Ya thanks, did a bit more research today. Had started filling in the Expression of Interest Form to apply for the skilled 189 visa without realising the extent of requirements. My qualification as a Chartered Accountant is recognised by the Institute Chartered Accountants Australia but I think I need to get onto them to first process my Irish application in order to apply. Seems like such a difficult process! One step at a time I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

whatif... wrote: »
    Ya thanks, did a bit more research today. Had started filling in the Expression of Interest Form to apply for the skilled 189 visa without realising the extent of requirements. My qualification as a Chartered Accountant is recognised by the Institute Chartered Accountants Australia but I think I need to get onto them to first process my Irish application in order to apply. Seems like such a difficult process! One step at a time I guess.

Did you expect they'd just grant you permanent residency by just filling out a form!? Of course it's a difficult process. And also an expensive one. I'd recommend you read the entire body of information on the IMMI website before even going near the Expression of Interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Yes thanks that's why I'm on Boards looking for info

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi there Whatif,

The WHV is not an option because the cutoff age is 31 when applying for this visa.

The other options are either
    Sponsorship (457) if you have a job offer from an employer that is willing to sponsor you. This takes about 2 - 3 months to process. However you are tied to the employer that is sponsoring you. If you wish to switch employers, you will need to apply for a new sponsorship visa and pay more immigration fees. This will not give you PR and you will need to apply for this as a separate visa if you want this in any case.

Alternatively, the permanent residency visa (a few different routes through this) gives you the opportunity to live and work in Australia for life - independent of any employer. Initially you have a 5 year window to come and go but if you have lived in Australia for 4 years, you can then apply for your citizenship and get the Australian passport. You won't need to worry about Australian visas again.

There is a lot involved in getting the PR visa sorted out as the other posters have said and many people get an agent to sort it out for them because the immigration requirements change regularly and you need to be on top of these changes to ensure your application remains a valid application.
    The process does take about 8 months to process so if you were thinking of heading over in Sept, then starting the process now would be the right thing to do. The cost depends on the number of people you bring with you but the current fees from Immigration are AUD 3520 for the main applicant. Then you have the fees to the assessing body, medicals, English test and possible state nomination along with agent fees. All in, this would come to approx EUR 6295 at the moment (compared with EUR 3200 for a temporary 457 sponsorship visa).

So if your end game is to get PR, then it might be wiser to apply for the PR visa from the beginning as it would save you costs in the long run.

I am a registered agent so the information provided is correct at this point in time. I hope this information helps.

Declan Clune

Advertisement