Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone clarify the timings of DV Lottery?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I don't understand how selection works.

I know for DV2014 people can see from May 2013 if they were selected. But they can keep checking up to October 2013. But how does that work? If you don't check in May, but you were actually selected, do you miss your spot? Or do you have a few months to check anytime between may and october and send back the documentation to get your interview date?

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Smac!

Sorry for spaming but can you send me the website that i apply for the lottery and when to apply by! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Whether or not you check online you'll receive a letter in the mail about it with instructions on what to do and with the deadlines for the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Whether or not you check online you'll receive a letter in the mail about it with instructions on what to do and with the deadlines for the next step.
    No, I think they dropped the postal confirmation about 2-3 years ago. Checking back online is the only way to find out.

Edited to add: from http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2014_Instructions.pdf...
    Entrant Status Check will be the ONLY means by which selectees will be notified of their selection for DV-2014. The Department of State will not be mailing out notification letters. Those selected in the random drawing are NOT notified of their selection by e-mail. Those individuals NOT selected will be notified of their nonselection through Entrant Status Check.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yep it is now up to you to check from May 1st next year until 30th Sept 2014. My questions are thus. If you didn't check in May for whatever reason and you had been accepted, would your place stay open til the Sept deadline? And then second say you go for interview and ARN'T successful do they throw your spot back into the pile for the area (in this case Europe) and pick another person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

No, I think they dropped the postal confirmation about 2-3 years ago. Checking back online is the only way to find out.

Thanks for the correction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

If you applied why would you forget about it and not look when the results come out ?.Its something you either want or not.
    If you decide not to take it up they dont throw it back in for someone else.This is why they randomly select 100,000 and 55,000 get greencards.The other 45,000 people either change their minds or once being processed dont meet the requirements.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Palmy wrote: »
    If you applied why would you forget about it and not look when the results come out ?.Its something you either want or not.
    If you decide not to take it up they dont throw it back in for someone else.This is why they randomly select 100,000 and 55,000 get greencards.The other 45,000 people either change their minds or once being processed dont meet the requirements.:cool:

I was thinking less forgetting about it, more for one reason or another not being in a position to check in the May. Believe you me I'll be attached to my computer surgically coming up to May!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

wrote:
    Status information will be available starting May 1, 2013 through at least June 30, 2014. You must have your confirmation information in order to check your DV entry status.

You can check between May 1st 2013 and June 30th 2014. If you are selected you will have from June 30 to Sep 30 2014 to accept the Green Card. That means sending forms back to Kentucky and interviewing at the Dublin US Embassy.

Best to try and check as soon as possible after May 1 2013 to give yourself the best possible chance of securing a greencard.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 delama11

Thank you everyone who answered! I know its a long shot anyway, but here's hoping:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Very first time i applied i won.

Advertisement