Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting Skills and Sighting in day---Oct 20th, Roundwood, Co. Wicklow

• 03-10-2012 11:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

The open skills day detailed below has been placed in the Announcements section of the Target Shooting section. Sparks has recommended that I open a thread here to get feedback on the event. We will be using .22LR for the course but everything covered will be relevant to all calibres. Most of the material will also be relevant to Hunters. If you would like to participate but do not have a .22 Rifle then we can accommodate you.

I welcome feedback from any potential participant as regards content. Please post here if interested. The course will be going ahead however many register.

Shooting Skills and Sighting in day---Oct 20th, Roundwood, Co. Wicklow

Following a discussion on here previously, about developing the skills useful in sighting in a rifle and then knowing how to get the best out of it, the East Coast Shooting Club will run a half day course for both hunters and target shooters on Saturday the 20th of October starting at 10:00 a.m. and finishing about 13:00.
    This course is open to all licensed and insured shooters and you do not need to be a member of any shooting club. It will be of value to beginners and to experienced shooters who want to improve their shooting skills.
    The topics covered will include:-

Range safety and procedure
    Mounting a telescopic sight on a rifle.
    Sighting in.
    Shooting from a bench.
    Prone technique
    Standing technique.
    Sitting technique
    Kneeling technique.

We can not hope to develop Olympic standard shooters in half a day but we can pass on the accumulated experience of the shooting community to save shooters from re-inventing the wheel!
    The course will be practically based with demonstration and explanation of each stage followed by the shooters using their own rifles to learn in a "hands on" manner.
    The instructors have at least 20 years of experience each in the competition and hunting areas.
    The course will start at 10:00 am on Saturday the 20th of October on the ECSC range in Roundwood, County Wicklow. We will charge a nominal fee of €10 to cover tea and targets .
    Our rifle range is restricted to .22 LR rifles only, using low velocity ammunition so each participant should bring an appropriate rifle and ammunition. You will need to show evidence of insurance(e.g. CAI, NARGC,etc.) and show your license for the rifle on arrival at the range. Rifles must be brought on to the range in bags or slips, unloaded, with magazines removed and must not be taken out of these bags until instructed to by a range officer.

This course will take place whatever the weather(covered firing points) but we would like to get a feel for how many people would like to come from outside the club. If you intend to come then please post in this thread. A map of how to get to the range will be posted nearer the day.

Follow this thread to see our facilities:

http://www.eastcoastshootingclub.com/

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sounds great.
    See you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

Brill would love to be there and the Mate next door is also keen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

We have had a very good response for this course so all is ready to go. The link below shows the location of the ECSC range. Signs will be placed at the entrance to the farm off the R764, Roundwood to Ashford road. Please remember that we are running the course on the range not in a nice warm hotel. The Rifle firing point is a good building but not heated so dress warmly and wear clothes (especially footwear) that is suitable for the outdoors.

Link to map of range location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mcdermottroe.com%2Fshooting%2Fclubs%2Flocations%2Fkml.php%3Fclub%3DEast%2BCoast%2BShooting%2BClub%2B-%2BRoundwood&t=h&z=14

Hi Leupold
    You may not see this in time but I was working late all week checked the Gun safe thinking I had enough rifle ammunition. But dont as myself and Mate are leaving before 8am to get to you is there any where we could get some close to your Centre tomorrow.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Tawny Owl wrote: »
    Hi Leupold
    You may not see this in time but I was working late all week checked the Gun safe thinking I had enough rifle ammunition. But dont as myself and Mate are leaving before 8am to get to you is there any where we could get some close to your Centre tomorrow.:eek:

Pat Cooke in Hilltop would be along the way there but he doesn't open until 10 tomorrow:)

• Advertisement

Hi Leupold

Do not worry, we will find a way to accomodate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 La Gun

Leupold wrote: »
    Do not worry, we will find a way to accomodate you.

Thanks on behalf of Tawny Owl, Im the mate next door that is traveling with him We are looking forward to the event,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Damn, just saw this now, is it too late to participate?

Merch wrote: »

Hello its not too late myself and the Mate are travelling tomorrow would love to see you there and see the face and have a chat;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 La Gun

Merch wrote: »
    Open to all :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Hello its not too late myself and the Mate are travelling tomorrow would love to see you there and see the face and have a chat;)

Are you a member in East coast? I'm not a member,

well there goes my boards anonymity :)
    Well, based on that, I'll head down, didnt just want to turn up unannounced.

Would just like to say a big thank you to all at East Coast Shooting Club myself and a Club Mate had fantastic day there today, we were greated with a big hand shake and a welcome cuppa and biscuit my I say it is a very well run and a very informative course the speaker had lots of knowledge and kept me interested all Morning, the Club grounds are very well laid out for shot Gun pratice with electronic clay bays. The Rifle section is excellent as you shoot from indoors to the target area and the Safety system which goes along with this is second to none with a Marshall supervising all shooters at all times,We were given a tour of the Hand held pistol section after the course again very safe and was very impressed and all insulated from the other areas. As I and my Club mate are mostly into rough shooting but have our own Rifles too it was nice to see the target side of the sport and would love to return again I would like to thank you all for the very warm welcome and wish you and all your Club Members every success in the future.

Thanks.

Tawny Owl.:)

Thank you for your kind words Tawny Owl. I think everyone enjoyed the day and learned some things in the process. We will run it again early next year.
    Here are some of the attendees.
    20121020_125747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bogger09

I must say this was a great morning!! excellent course and intructors who were on hand to deal with any queries. I will definately be recommending the next course to everyone who target shoots/hunts no matter what your experience, even the old hands picked up some tips on the day!! thanks again Leupold!

Advertisement