Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom upgraded

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Thought id throw this up, eircom are setting up fiber around the town, talked to a chap who was running lines says it will be a while to get done the place is a mess. There currently out by me in he kilcohan area. So be nice there bringing us fiber :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Doylers wrote: »
    Thought id throw this up, eircom are setting up fiber around the town, talked to a chap who was running lines says it will be a while to get done the place is a mess. There currently out by me in he kilcohan area. So be nice there bringing us fiber :)

Kind of pointless really in Eircom running fibre optic here in Waterford when UPC just recently upgraded the majority of their lines in Waterford to bring their speeds up to 150mb :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Far from pointless, IMO.

From an Eircom point of view, they will actually be able to provide speeds that justify the term broadband, which means they won't be shedding customers all over the place.

From a customer point of view, competition for good quality broadband might stop the creeping price increase that comes almost yearly with UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Out of pure hatred of Craig Doyle, I'm gonna stick with Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And guaranteed they won't be coming over Ferrybank direction... God what i wouldn't give for UPC Fibre again, typical i didn't check to see if i could get it when i bought the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Out of pure hatred of Craig Doyle, I'm gonna stick with Eircom!

One of the reasons i'm with Sky haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Anything that brings competition to UPC is fine with me. Their broadband is excellent but their prices reflect the fact that they have no real competition in the market. My bill seems to be creeping up every other month. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Doylers wrote: »

Ah so thats why they're digging at the slievekeale/morrisons rd/barrack st junction, eircom have a bunch of cabinets there, presumably they'll be doing FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) rather than fibre-to-the-home which would be a lot more messy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

mecco wrote: »
    Far from pointless, IMO.

From an Eircom point of view, they will actually be able to provide speeds that justify the term broadband, which means they won't be shedding customers all over the place.

From a customer point of view, competition for good quality broadband might stop the creeping price increase that comes almost yearly with UPC.

I honestly dont see the problem -

Eircom - 8mb and phone - €45 per month (€50 months 7-12)
    - 24mb and phone - €55pm (€60 months 7-12)
    https://secure.eircom.net/talktime/talktime-evolution-flow?execution=e1s1
    Or
    UPC - 50mb and phone - €44 per month
    - 100mb and phone - €49pm
    - 150mb and phone - €54pm
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

Elbows22 wrote: »
    I honestly dont see the problem -

Eircom - 8mb and phone - €45 per month (€50 months 7-12)
    - 24mb and phone - €55pm (€60 months 7-12)
    https://secure.eircom.net/talktime/talktime-evolution-flow?execution=e1s1
    Or
    UPC - 50mb and phone - €44 per month
    - 100mb and phone - €49pm
    - 150mb and phone - €54pm
    http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/

Not a problem as such, all I'm getting at is that they need to upgrade to compete with UPC properly. Sure even from what you linked Eircoms current best (24Mb) is half the speed of UPCs entry level (50Mb).

And I'm hoping UPC customers like me get a better deals as competition ramps up. Or even if they stop with the slight increases every so often :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I am in the county and have been with Eircom all along, and don't have any issues with them. Admittedly I am no longer up and downloading big files, and would not be watching films, so maybe that is the difference, but I am happy enough with the service I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Kind of pointless really in Eircom running fibre optic here in Waterford when UPC just recently upgraded the majority of their lines in Waterford to bring their speeds up to 150mb :cool:

Amen.

We had 8mb Eircom broadband but couldn't get more then 1mb, totally useless, had the engineers out a few times & all. Eventually switched to UPC 25mb broadband, connection is never less then 20mb. Different class. Wouldn't go back to Eircom if they paid me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

UhOh wrote: »
    Amen.

We had 8mb Eircom broadband but couldn't get more then 1mb, totally useless, had the engineers out a few times & all. Eventually switched to UPC 25mb broadband, connection is never less then 20mb. Different class. Wouldn't go back to Eircom if they paid me

That is the whole point of it really, they never had the infrastructure to compete. If Eircom run more fibre you will get local loops unbundled and you will get the likes of Vodafone etc coming into the market, which hopefully will bring more competition to the market, but hey your all right so f*ck the rest of us eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

No fair. :(

(Slightly OT)

I'm in Ross, and paying for 24mb (averages about 13-14mb) + phone with Eircom. We don't want the phone, because it is never used and ends up costing 20 or 30 quid extra. Eircom won't do just broadband (which must be losing them customers, landlines are not really needed in homes anymore).

UPC is not available in Ross (:mad:) so we are now looking to vodafone for some kind of a deal because we can get just broadband. But the speed won't get any better.

I'm not a very happy bunny :/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

I have UPC for Broadband and Sky for TV, expensive yes but both are quality services. However with Sky about to enter the Broadband market in Ireland I will have to give serious consideration to dumping UPC Broadband and going for a TV/Broadband bundle with Sky. I haven't heard pricings yet but I'll probably be saving a fortune.

The problem with that decision has been the fact that Sky will be using Eircom like DSL broadband so I'm delighted to hear about the upgrade to fibre.

I hate UPC TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Junior wrote: »
    That is the whole point of it really, they never had the infrastructure to compete. If Eircom run more fibre you will get local loops unbundled and you will get the likes of Vodafone etc coming into the market, which hopefully will bring more competition to the market, but hey your all right so f*ck the rest of us eh ?

That's not fair, at all. The poster obviously wasn't happy with the service, they even went as far calling engineers on more than one occasion. They are paying money for a ****ty service... why should they? Especially in this day and age. You'd want value for money, what's wrong with that? UPC are far and away the best in the broadband market, it's up to the others to catch up, not for the poster to think about what their neighbours are doing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Quiggers59

Hi All
    Forgive me if I am a bit of an innocent. I have an eircom middle grade Broadband package circa 45 euro a month which offers a 12 meg package.Actual speeds are in and around 4.3 upload and 0.55 download,and I have tried to ask Eircom how can this be.I got no sensible answer,so with out killing me with tech speak,I'm a Victor Meldrew type,is this too low a speed for this package and what should I expect for a 12 meg package.please keep it simple for a grumpy old git.I live in Greystones,so no UPC option.I did not test whilst other computers were in action,this was a valid test.Eircom web support was pitiful,it's emailing kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Quiggers59 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Forgive me if I am a bit of an innocent. I have an eircom middle grade Broadband package circa 45 euro a month which offers a 12 meg package.Actual speeds are in and around 4.3 upload and 0.55 download,and I have tried to ask Eircom how can this be.I got no sensible answer,so with out killing me with tech speak,I'm a Victor Meldrew type,is this too low a speed for this package and what should I expect for a 12 meg package.please keep it simple for a grumpy old git.I live in Greystones,so no UPC option.I did not test whilst other computers were in action,this was a valid test.Eircom web support was pitiful,it's emailing kids.

If those stats are right then there is something very wrong with your connection, 0.55 download is pitiful, a few questions

1) was this test done while you had your router plugged directly into your computer and not wireless, If not that needs to be done.

2) Secondly did you do this test from the master socket of the house with all other telephone sockets unplugged to rule out interference.

3) did you check with another router to rule out a router issue of some sort.

If all this has been donr and still issues youll need to get an engineer out to check whats going on.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was suddenly getting those sort of speeds and I did what eircom suggest, switch off everything, including router, then switch it back on again. Result!

Advertisement