Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal rights

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

bought 2011 car in june from non main dealer. took it for service recently to main dealer and was told that the car had been crashed and different bumper was put on. the air con was broken and few other issues. been having trouble with the garage to fix or repair it. what should i do. the garage claim they didnt know it was damaged

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Ask them to take it back and refund you, less a reasonable amount for your having 3 months use of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

if it was sold 'as seen' then i'm afraid you have no comeback.

If it was sold with a warranty then you might have something......but i'd be doubtful. you can ask the dealer and hope for a goodwill gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

daheff wrote: »
    if it was sold 'as seen' then i'm afraid you have no comeback.

If it was sold with a warranty then you might have something......but i'd be doubtful. you can ask the dealer and hope for a goodwill gesture.

Sorry, your totally wrong there.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/motoring/advice_on_buying_a_used_car_in_ireland.html
    From a garage or car dealer

In this situation you, as a consumer, are protected by the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 as you are buying a car for your personal use from a person whose normal business it is to sell cars. As a consumer you have the same rights if you buy an item second hand as if it is new. In this case if you find a fault with the car after you have bought it the dealer is the person who must set matters right. If you buy a commercial vehicle or a tractor from a dealer you may not have the same protection under the law. If you are offered an extended warranty on a used car think about the cost of the warranty versus the cost of repairs that the car is likely to need.

Sellers have responsibilities such as giving accurate and truthful answers to the questions you ask. Information on a seller's responsibilities in car deals is available on the National Consumer Agency's website

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The fact that a car has been crashed is not in itself a basis for voiding a contract of sale. If it has been repaired to a satisfactory standard (particularly in relation to safety) then it might reasonably be thought to be of merchantable quality.

It's a different matter of the person selling it said that it never been crashed - but how often do prospective purchasers ask such a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The fact that the car was sold second hand as part of the regular business for the dealer means that you have consumer rights.

Car dealers are specifically obliged to ensure that cars are roadworthy and safe. If a car was crashed, but safely repaired, then that's fine. The dealer may not have even known about the crash, and sold it to you in good faith.

Broken air-con is cosmetic and you should have noticed that at the time of test driving. Other issues could be classed as has arisen during wear & tear, particularly since this a second hand car.

<SNIP> - misinterpreted OP's post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 d13

The front bumper was supposed to have had parking sensors. The car was bought second hand in June 2012. I thought that if the air con was damaged a light would flash on dash like any other fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

d13 wrote: »
    The front bumper was supposed to have had parking sensors. The car was bought second hand in June 2012. I thought that if the air con was damaged a light would flash on dash like any other fault.

You thought incorrectly, the sign of a non functioning Airco system is no cold air.

Advertisement