Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positive Ageing Week

• 03-10-2012 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Hi Folks
    This week is positive ageing week, can I request that each of us take a little time out of our day to do something for the elderly.
    A lot of senior citizens in Ireland are lonely and even a few minutes to drop in to an elderly neighbour for a chat and a cup of tea makes a big difference. I baked a lot of cakes and donated them to the coffee morning here and my wife is spending time in a nursing home this morning meeting residents for a cup of tea and a chat.
    Im sure when we are all old we would appreciate someone giving up a small bit of their time for us
    Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Hi Folks
    This week is positive ageing week, can I request that each of us take a little time out of our day to do something for the elderly.
    A lot of senior citizens in Ireland are lonely and even a few minutes to drop in to an elderly neighbour for a chat and a cup of tea makes a big difference. I baked a lot of cakes and donated them to the coffee morning here and my wife is spending time in a nursing home this morning meeting residents for a cup of tea and a chat.
    Im sure when we are all old we would appreciate someone giving up a small bit of their time for us
    Ta

Good Call! they're are many events being run around the country to get involved in, or even just pop over for a cup of tea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I'm going to my grannys tonight for dinner.

i am so generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

..and remember there are 364 other days in the year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

Also if you are popping into see a few old people who have pets and are worried that no one will look after thier pets when they die, you should tell them about this. It's from the dscpa, basically when they die their pets will be taken in by the dscpa and taken care of until they find a new home for them.http://www.dspca.ie/petguardian
    It would help put a lot of old peoples mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Chucken wrote: »
    ..and remember there are 364 other days in the year ;)

358 actually;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I declare cougar season officially open!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ava_e wrote: »
    Also if you are popping into see a few old people who have pets and are worried that no one will look after thier pets when they die, you should tell them about this. It's from the dscpa, basically when they die their pets will be taken in by the dscpa and taken care of until they find a new home for them.http://www.dspca.ie/petguardian
    It would help put a lot of old peoples mind at ease.

Either that or you could take a shotgun with you next time you go round tor tea and biccies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

I thought this thread was going to be about growing old(er) and being positive about it.

I was all set to come on here and b!tch about tossers going on about how they feel old approaching <insert milestone age> or entering their late 20's etc...

Anyway, while I'm here, I'd just like to moan about tossers who b!tch about feeling old when they're not! SHUT UP!

You're lucky you're alive, others don't get the chance!

All done. Carry on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Ava_e

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Either that or you could take a shotgun with you next time you go round tor tea and biccies.

Nah, then you would have to clean up afterwards, you'd be there all day. Remember that OP said take just "a little time out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ava_e wrote: »
    Nah, then you would have to clean up after you'd be there all day.

I'd stay long enough to do chalk lines around the furry corpses and then take off to do another good deed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There are positives?

Can I negatively age for a while when I hit middle age please? Is there a week for that? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Will someone come over to my house and get me a cuppa? And do some housework, too?

Thanks.

Positive ageing, me arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

At what age is it socially acceptable to ask your beautiful student nurse neighbour for a bed bath?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

On the back of this thread, I just popped next and offered to make my elderly neighbour a cup of tea. Just as I was getting some biscuits from the tin, her bodybuilding son came in and asked me who the F I was and just what I was doing holding the tin his mother keeps her will and life savings in. Crap thoroughly kicked out of me, Cheers OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

On the back of this thread, I just popped next and offered to make my elderly neighbour a cup of tea. Just as I was getting some biscuits from the tin, her bodybuilding son came in and asked me who the F I was and just what I was doing holding the tin his mother keeps her will and life savings in. Crap thoroughly kicked out of me, Cheers OP.

was it Delores Mc Namara?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh how appropriate! :pac:

Advertisement