Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

format & upgrade of old laptop...

Options
  • 03-10-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have an old Toshiba laptop running on windows XP at home would have been decent about 5 years ago but now is just running INCREDIBLY slowly to the point I dont bother using it anymore. Defragging etc has all been tried but its just clogged with rubbish, virus's etc..

Battery needs to be replaced and needs more RAM.

And it needs a complete formatting.

Now I worked in IT years ago for a brief stint so have a very small amount of knowledge about these things but that said I havent formatted a machine in about 10 years so I'm sure some things have changed and I only did it on a handful of occassions so can remember very little in fairness.

I dont think I'd have any problem changing the battery and installing the RAM.

So my question:

1.. Is there a nice simple step by step guide I can use to format it?
    2.. I have no discs, drivers or OS at home. What do I need?
    3.. Anything else I need or may not be thinking about here?

Thanks a mil,

Eoin

ps I was quoted €150 to do this by a shop so I reckon doing it myself will be quite a lot cheaper hence this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You need a Win XP Home setup disc and the activation key which should be on a sticker at the bottom of your laptop. If you can't locate a Win XP Home edition disc you can try contacting the manufacture who usually will send you the disc for a fee alternatively there are more nefarious ways to get a copy. If the activation key sticker has peeled off or worn out you can still find your product key by downloading and installing the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Finally make sure all the data you wan't to keep is backed up on a external drive. It is also advisable to have your LAN/WLAN drivers on a flash drive, you can usually download them from the manufacturers website.

Once you have all that you simply boot from the disc (go into BIOS and make sure your dvd drive is the top boot priority) and follow the steps on screen.

Here is Microsoft's complete guide.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/install-windows-xp

Advertisement