Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tying up public services because you're drunk

• 03-10-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭

On my mind for 2 reasons. First, the trolling eejit's thread that he drank a whole bottle of vodka. Second, listening to the firefighter on Ray D'Arcy this morning describing the late night warzone in Dublin city centre last Thursday night following Cynical Diageo Day. No doubt the same description could apply to Patricks Day, Pre Christmas weekends, Rag week, Leaving Cert results nights etc etc

Taking as read that enough souls in the Country are uncontrollable binge drinkers who cant hold their booze and who bear no responsibility for the damage and upset they cause when they land out on to the street, what is the appropriate way to deal with types that tie up the resources of the cops, paramedics, emergency department staff etc.

Im going to start the ball rolling with a mandatory minimum fine of 2% of annual salary for the employed or €1,000, whichever is higher, and €750 for those dependent on welfare - per offence. The sanctions should be decided at dawn court sittings to catch the peak of the hangover, and the fines should treble for 3rd and subsequent offences

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

And if people won't pay?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Larbre34 wrote: »
    First, the trolling eejit's thread that he drank a whole bottle of vodka.

Hey man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

chillax and pour yourself a drink :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Public humiliation maybe would be better than a fine, say you force the person to get sh1tfaced again follow them around with a camera and post it on their facebook page and send it to their work place for all their friends, family and colleagues to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

And if people won't pay?

If you can't hit them in the pocket, then just hit them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And if people won't pay?

2 or 3 days at the states leisure, hopefully with a bit of slopping out which should approximate the experience of the street cleaners in Temple Bar on a Sunday morning dealing with the Vom lake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hey man!

You're fairly on the ball for a lad with a bottle of voddie inside in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

On my mind for 2 reasons. First, the trolling eejit's thread that he drank a whole bottle of vodka. Second, listening to the firefighter on Ray D'Arcy this morning describing the late night warzone in Dublin city centre last Thursday night following Cynical Diageo Day. No doubt the same description could apply to Patricks Day, Pre Christmas weekends, Rag week, Leaving Cert results nights etc etc

Taking as read that enough souls in the Country are uncontrollable binge drinkers who cant hold their booze and who bear no responsibility for the damage and upset they cause when they land out on to the street, what is the appropriate way to deal with types that tie up the resources of the cops, paramedics, emergency department staff etc.

Im going to start the ball rolling with a mandatory minimum fine of 2% of annual salary for the employed or €1,000, whichever is higher, and €750 for those dependent on welfare - per offence. The sanctions should be decided at dawn court sittings to catch the peak of the hangover, and the fines should treble for 3rd and subsequent offences

Any thoughts?

How about a 100% tax on horses over a certain height?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

And if people won't pay?

Why, they go to jail of course (just for the day, tying up more public service and getting a few free meals)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I think we've always had an immature relationship with drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Issue mandatory new hooch licences with a set limit people can drink a day (enough to get sloshed starting off). And if your upto no good your limit goes down.

Only way to make people take their drinking seriously is threaten their drinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Any thoughts?

Why have a fine. Why not just charge them for the costs they incur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

old hippy wrote: »
    I think we've always had an immature relationship with drink.
    ....so's your face!

I think it would be impossible to implement fairly, some cases would be straight forward like someone needing their stomach pumped, someone being violent in A&E but what if someone has a few drinks and break their leg how can it be proven that said person broke it because of drink, they may have broken a heel and fell or gotten a push or just simply tripped.

I agree that violent or aggressive people in A&E are awful for both staff and patients but normal people can get hurt/attacked and injured on a night on that may not be caused by the drink itself or by their own drinking.

I would punish people who cause trouble in the hospital but I think people have the right to treatment without severe punishment if they behave themselves properly while in A&E units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sure aren't the public services being kept in a job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

....so's your face!

QED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You're fairly on the ball for a lad with a bottle of voddie inside in him

A true hardened drinker wouldn't even remember that he'd created a thread, even if he'd done it 5 minutes earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

The sanctions should be decided at dawn court sittings to catch the peak of the hangover, and the fines should treble for 3rd and subsequent offences

Any thoughts?

Thoughts? That's not when my hangover peaks. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

eth0 wrote: »

Any thoughts?

How about a 100% tax on horses over a certain height?
    Can I pay by DD?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nedzer2011

Sure doesn't the duty paid to the government on the alcohol more than cover the cost of the public services that it ties up, thereby keeping everyone happy?

I joke, I joke

• Advertisement

thoughts?
    More Drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The last time i tied something up when drunk she was found dehydrated three days later in a pissy bed!!

These days I can barely tie up my laces when drunk so not a chance I could tie up a load of nurses, firemen etc!!

Hic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

How about anyone arrested / hospitalised for drink related misadventures of their own creation are made to clean up the streets in the mornings the next few weekends? Could have the regular street cleaners minding them / taking note of who's turned up, so they're not out of work for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The public service should tie up the drunks.

Advertisement