Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City v Borussia Dortmund

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Impressive that Balotelli knows international sign insults.

I thought it was an Italian gesture tho? Something like "what's this" or "look at this".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Lars1916 wrote: »
    That gesture, Balotelli did with his hand, means something like 'Blah Blah', in some parts of Germany it is seen as a clear insult.

But if Weidenfeller insulted him verbally, I take everything back

Talk about trying to make something out of nothing. Keeper was in his face talking, ref told him to go away. Balotelli scored then made a keep talking gesture. If you think there is any more in it than that then you are deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wonder where Mario learned it from...

i44JiJK4Qk6ER.gif

:pac:

Klopp would bate them both.
    1259964_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Incredible game from Hart, really should have been 4-5 goals to Dortmund. Can't wait for the return game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Cracking game of ball. I love champions league.
    Harsh on Dortmund who were excellent tonight and didn't let up even after scoring.
    Not a peno if rules of ball were applied correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Guess I'm the only United fan pissed that City didn't win? Don't want these dumped out early again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Lars1916 wrote: »
    That gesture, Balotelli did with his hand, means something like 'Blah Blah', in some parts of Germany it is seen as a clear insult.

But if Weidenfeller insulted him verbally, I take everything back

An Italian guy in work came up to me the other day and and jabbed his two outstretched index fingers together in a horizontal motion. When I was a kid, we did that to denote that the intended recipient of the gesture was possibly a homosexual. Apparently, in Italy it means that the guy wanted to have a conversation with me. Needless to say I was incredibly insulted.

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Some game from Joe Hart and I would think that if Man City qualify for the knockout stages of the champions league, they will have a lot to thank Hart for.

Dortmund could and should have won that game tonight. Along with all the chances which were saved by Hart, Lewandowski missed an sitter near the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

An Italian guy in work came up to me the other day and and jabbed his two outstretched index fingers together in a horizontal motion. When I was a kid, we did that to denote that the intended recipient of the gesture was possibly a homosexual. Apparently, in Italy it means that the guy wanted to have a conversation with me. Needless to say I was incredibly insulted.

True story.

lol, I'd say you didn't know where t olook when he was doing it.

Or else you had a stiffy on ya, ya dirty thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

killwill wrote: »
    lol, I'd say you didn't know where t olook when he was doing it.

Or else you had a stiffy on ya, ya dirty thing!!!

I just stuck my index finger through a hole created by my other index finger and thumb to let him know that I didn't swing that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Soby wrote: »

That's awesome. They made it sound like their own home game tonight tbf, their fans were incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We'll take that!

Nice one Mario, super stuff from Hart.

LOL! :pac:

That's very nice of Manchester City!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Amazed at some of the posts here about Balotelli and gestures etc. There's no story or controversy here at all.

Balotelli was waiting to take the peno, the keeper came up to him and started mouthing into his ear to put him off (i'm assuming he said something like 'i'm going to dive to my right, make sure you don't put it there..etc..etc), Balotelli listened and took it in his stride and stroked it home like a boss!!

His gesture towards the keeper afterwards was "you're all talk, nothing more". Rightly so, imo. If the keeper acts the pr!ck, expect it back if it doesn't work out. No big deal. Move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Soby wrote: »

I'm not gonna lie, there is something a little bit terrifying about a large group of Germans chanting in unison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    That's just a sample of why I love Gundogan btw, so underrated.

Agreed. Superb player. I just love him, never heard of him till Dortmund signed, first I thought no way he can fill the gap left by Sahin but after few games it's obvious to say I was very wrong about it. (I mean not same role but he makes the game tick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Righteo, this is my last comment in this thread, before I enter the next stage of delusion:

Some are offended by a certain gesture, some are not. People are different, and some strikers don't even mind, if the goalkeeper winds him up before taking the penno.

Enough said, have a nice day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm pretty sure Mario meant to insult the keeper with that gesture anyway. I would imagine the fact that it might be considered extremely rude by some Germans would be an added bonus for him if he found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The thing is, Mario would have had no reason to make any gesture if the keeper hadn't acted the bollox and tried to put him off. It would've been the usual dead pan celebration (which people probably would've moaned about as well incidentally).

The chap can't win. Except at penalties. He always wins at penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Reminds me - did Hart scream at the penalty taker at the weekend? Sounded like it and tbh it would be something that guy would do. Can't help himself but act like a tit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Renn wrote: »
    Reminds me - did Hart scream at the penalty taker at the weekend? Sounded like it and tbh it would be something that guy would do. Can't help himself but act like a tit.

Don't know about Saturday but he usually does.

What's the harm in it anyway? I've no issue with what the Dortmund keeper did either, it's fair game to try psych someone out. Just don't get people whinging when the person on the end of it scores and gives a little bit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hart always screams and shouts at penalty takers, I remember he tried it against Gerrard and Gerrard scored and made a gesture towards Hart afterwards.

Its all part of the game and I dont see a problem with it TBH by either the keeper or the penalty taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

monkey9 wrote: »

His gesture towards the keeper afterwards was "you're all talk, nothing more". Rightly so, imo. If the keeper acts the pr!ck, expect it back if it doesn't work out. No big deal. Move on!

Do we know what he said. Saying what way he's going to dive is hardly prickish.

Don't know about Saturday but he usually does.

What's the harm in it anyway?

Well like I said, makes him look like a bit of a tit. iirc, he embarrassed himself a couple of times during the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Renn wrote: »
    Well like I said, makes him look like a bit of a tit. iirc, he embarrassed himself a couple of times during the euros.

IMO the keeper is worse for starting it, making him a complete tit. Had the keeper said nothing then Balotelli would have made no gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Are we still talking about this non issue from either player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Fu€k sake this is like something you'd hear about in a celebrity column in the paper about what Rihanna really meant in a tweet sent to Lindsay Lohan.

Big story of the match was the shocking penalty decision but also it shouldn't have mattered if Dortmund had put away the copious amount of chances they had but a lot of that was down to Hart. He was immense last night which might spur him on (hopefully not) cos to be fair he hasn't been anywhere near his best this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Great game ,
    Dortmund played some outstanding football ,
    Hart's performance was unreal ,fantastic ..
    Peno decision was very soft, IMHO

City point could/will be massive in the overall picture ,With Dortmund's next two games against Real Madrid ,City could/should find themselves sitting second by the time the home game against Real comes around.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    IMO the keeper is worse for starting it, making him a complete tit. Had the keeper said nothing then Balotelli would have made no gesture.

Ah, was just talking about Hart.

Advertisement