Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The butterfly effect

• 03-10-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

During the summer I brought the family on sun holiday to the Costa Del Sol to get away from it all. Everything was fabulous, the view from the 4 star hotel, the food and the friendly staff and we made lovely new Irish friends. Every morning I went down to the pool and put my towels on some sun loungers to lay claim an them as this seemed the norm. One morning around 6.30am I placed my towels on some prime sun loungers and went back to the room to get the kids ready and go for breakfast. Unfortunately something we ate made us very sick indeed and we couldn’t go to the pool. Later that evening I struggled down to the pool and took away my towels.

The very next morning I did the same and the lad I befriended told me there was awful trouble between the Spanish and Irish over hogging the loungers. Later that morning we headed for our loungers the same ones I claimed the day before and there was a few family’s all friends with each other from Ireland beside us. The OH asked about the row and the woman piped up that they were on the loungers all day and a big Spanish muscle man and his missus came over when they were in the pool and took their loungers. A row ensued in which the Irish girl went to drop kick the Spanish woman and all the pool attendants came to stop it escalating. There was a lot of foul language and the hotel had to employ a towel monitor to ensure nobody would leave their towels for more than an hour. As it transpired the Spanish couple had mistaken my towel for the other family’s and thought nobody was using the loungers on the rest of the loungers. There was fierce badness around the pool between the Irish and Spanish after that.

This is a classic example of a butterfly effect where y
    ou do something innocent and the ripples get out of control. But not all bad as some Spanish guy got a job out of it.

Have you ever been effected by the butterfly effect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Yes, One day this summer I was getting really pissed off cause there were no sun loungers available by my pool, except for a bunch of them with towels left on them all day, So naturally I took one one of them and next thing a big arguement started and some Bi**h tried to kick me in the nuts. If only I was soft and let some idiot claim a place and not use it, then the high level of animosity that existed most of the week just wouldn't have happened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Have you ever been effected by the butterfly effect?

Yup, on Monday someone shouted what sounded like my name and when I stopped and looked back, they were gone but the end result was that I missed my bus and ultimately Nationwide too. I was so angry, that when I got home, I killed my entire family to death. So, you could say, they were more putout than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I don't blame the Spanish for being p!ssed off, you put should put your towel on it WHEN you're using it yourself, not hours before so and going off to have breakfast etc.
    If I said what I really think of the OP I'd probably get a warning/ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thinly veiled "This recession is not effecting me thread"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Must have been no Germans about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Since when has "The ripple effect' been renamed to "The butterfly effect" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

That's not a butterfly effect.

That's just what happens when someone does something dickish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

so butterflys were switching the towels and causing alot of trouble?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

john47832 wrote: »

Since 1969, care of Edward Lorenz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Yep I travelled back in time a few thousand years and inadvertently stood on a cockroach. Then I get back to the present and history has completely changed. Some guy called Hitler tried to take over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

This one time I was on holidays and a big row ensued over the local pilot school using all the space in the hangars and not leaving any room for the brand new MiG fighter jet I was after buying off the Russians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

One day I made a cup of coffee for myself but I must have put a little too much sugar in it because it tasted slightly too sweet. I added a touch more coffee to even it out and gave it a good stir. It tasted grand after that.

I was going to log into Boards and post the story so people could enjoy it but I didn't because I figured it would be the most boring story anyone on Boards had ever read.

And then I read your towel story...

The End.

Since 1969, care of Edward Lorenz
    Ye can't go around just doin things like that without notifying people first

One day I made a cup of coffee for myself but I must have put a little too much sugar in it because it tasted slightly too sweet. I added a touch more coffee to even it out and gave it a good stir. It tasted grand after that.

I was going to log into Boards and post the story so people could enjoy it but I didn't because I figured it would be the most boring story anyone on Boards had ever read.

The End.
    Harsh crowd in this afternoon i see...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pom pom snaz peeler

The End.

surprised you havent written a novel......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

surprised you havent written a novel......

Well, nothing very exciting has happened to me yet but maybe one day I'll put a towel on a chair and BAM! We could be looking at a series of novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Harsh crowd in this afternoon i see...

Agreed, I shared an experience to brighten up peoples lives in this dark economic period for us all, and all the feedback is pure negitive.
    Lando Griffin is seriously considering his AH contributions in future may be few and far between.

Well, nothing very exciting has happened to me yet but maybe one day I'll put a towel on a chair and BAM! We could be looking at a series of novels.

ill be sure to turn up for the book signing..... perhaps you can have a towel with each book as a token gesture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Lando Griffin is seriously considering his AH contributions in future may be few and far between.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

dont mind 'em lando, we love your pointless storys, please never stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

This one time, at Band Camp, I saw a girl stick a flute up her pxxxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I don't think what you think the butterfly effect is what you think it is...

tiny misunderstanding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It sounds a bit like that film... what's it called again... oh yeah, 'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines'.

Uncanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Once, while working for the Italian chocolatier Ferrero, I accidently used salt instead of sugar in the making of a fresh batch of their delicious Rocher confections.

Unknown to me this tray of Ferrero Rochers was to be dispatched to the Korean Demilitarised Zone where the UN ambassador to Seoul was hosting unification talks between North and South Korea.

Kim Jong Il, who was half-man half-slug, detested salt and immediately spat out his Rocher, made an unholy scene and stormed out.

As the world edged closer to what looked like a repeat of the Korean War, the UN ambassador was sacked. Unable to find any international peace mediation work he had to settle for being a towel monitor at a Spanish swimming pool.

And that is how a butterfly effect of my creation helped a guy get a job he hates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

This happens a lot when people get sick.
    One person pukes and the sight and smell of it makes somebody beside them puke. Then the sight of two people puking causes a third person to do likewise, and before long, there are rivers of vomit running down the street. I have seen this happen.
    Does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

This thread is not about butterflies. I am disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This is what happens when you get a knacker package holiday to lanzarote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

I really despise people that hog the sun loungers with their towels like the OP.

It's like when you go to Avoca or somewhere, and there are signs up to say "no holding tables", you queue 15 mins to get your tray of food, and you end up walking around trying to find a table whilst these a*sholes are sitting down at tables waiting on their other half\friend to get their food. Meanwhile, yours goes cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yup, on Monday someone shouted what sounded like my name and when I stopped and looked back, they were gone but the end result was that I missed my bus and ultimately Nationwide too. I was so angry, that when I got home, I killed my entire family to death. So, you could say, they were more putout than me.

:confused:

If you killed your ENTIRE family - would that not include yourself? :confused:

Holy crap - some call Ghostbusters, After Hours is haunted! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Why people choose to spend hours sitting out in the sun nuking themselves in its radiation is beyond my comprehension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

Why people choose to spend hours sitting out in the sun nuking themselves in its radiation is beyond my comprehension.

A good book, a nice cold beer, a swimming pool and thirty degree heat just go so well together. I never thought Id like it till my first sun holiday two years ago. Unless someone hogs the sun lounger with towels while they are off elsewhere that is :mad:

Advertisement