Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Cork - Help Finding Installers/Showers

Options
  • 03-10-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

prefacing this with I'm Australian so the whole water heating business is befuddling to me :confused:
    we've just moved into a new house and the shower was stolen (yep no kidding).
    So there's some wires and a pipe left ... and a picture we had of the bathroom beforehand that shows there was a Mira there before.

I've read a bit around and seen Tritons are recommended; Woodies seem to have some. Was thinking of getting one there but...

There's the sticky bit of finding someone to install it. Haven't bought anything yet mind you and after speaking to one plumber even more confused.

He said that installation/pipes differ depending on brands and changing may cost more.

So my questions:
    He quoted cost somewhere btw €400-600 (shower included he won't do bought installation) is all that sounding fairly accurate?

And can anyone recommend a good installation person otherwise?

Does it really matter Mira or Triton?

Also how do you work out if your shower is supplied by mains (?) or tank (?) or whatever other option there is? Because this seems to be influential too.

See, totally befuddling to Antipodean mindset! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

bbqlueless wrote: »
    prefacing this with I'm Australian so the whole water heating business is befuddling to me :confused:
    So there's some wires and a pipe left ... and a picture we had of the bathroom beforehand that shows there was a Mira there before.

I've read a bit around and seen Tritons are recommended; Woodies seem to have some. Was thinking of getting one there but...

There's the sticky bit of finding someone to install it. Haven't bought anything yet mind you and after speaking to one plumber even more confused.

He said that installation/pipes differ depending on brands and changing may cost more.

So my questions:
    He quoted cost somewhere btw €400-600 (shower included he won't do bought installation) is all that sounding fairly accurate?

Also how do you work out if your shower is supplied by mains (?) or tank (?) or whatever other option there is? Because this seems to be influential too.

First off, if a Mira shower was previously installed then replace it with a Mira, for the simple reason of ease of installation.
    Some people prefer Mira others prefer Triton, but there is not a huge difference between them except Mira are usually 20ish euro more expensive.
    Next your plumber needs to determine if the pipework is set up for a Tank Fed or Mains Fed shower unit, so its important that he calls to the house to check, so no mistakes are made.
    The electric cable should not need any work if it was installed correctly in the first place. There should be a pull cord switch nearby or a heavy cooker style switch on the wall. Cable should be a heavy grey type and there should be a seperate breaker on the fuse board for it.
    As long as the plumbing / electrics / tiles are all in order then fitting the replacement should take no more than an hour, in that case Supply and Fit should be approx 400 euro all in.
    Unfortunately I dont know of anyone in your area to recommend to you, maybe some else can pm you a number, or else call into your local plumbing supplies shop or Chadwicks and Heatmerchants who have plumb shops in Cork may be able to help you find someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

bbqlueless wrote: »

So my questions:

http://www.iitc.ie/plumbing-specials.asp

http://www.iitc.ie/showers.asp

Tramore Road
    Cork
    T: 021 4705800
    E: cork@iitc.ie

Advertisement