Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 - You’re Holding It Wrong

• 03-10-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

So according to Apple the purple tint added to pictures taken with an iPhone 5 is due to the use holding the phone wrong :D

Linky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ARGINITE wrote: »
    So according to Apple the purple tint added to pictures taken with an iPhone 5 is due to the use holding the phone wrong :D

Linky

Sorry,but any camera no matter how good will produce flare if directed at a light source.

Seems to me they're just looking for any reason to have a go at Apple.

Also, they're twisting Apple's words as they said to angle it away from light which is sound advice rather than say "You're holding it wrong".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If the flare wasn't there people would just be applying it as an instagram filter anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the flare wasn't there people would just be applying it as an instagram filter anyway
    I was just thinking "instant instagram - the hipsters will love it" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Wouldn't angling it away from a light source mean you take a different photo than you want to take?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I only found out about this today and put it o the test by taking pics with the iPhone 4 and 5. I was surprised at the difference. The purple flare is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

its a bit like the signal on the iphone 4! lol - your holding it wrong! then a silent recall.. but nothin g wrong with the phone....

****moral of the story never buy 1st gen apple --- its not been tested properly yet!!!!

any tech support in apple will lie to u unless they agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fe1exams wrote: »
    its a bit like the signal on the iphone 4! lol - your holding it wrong! then a silent recall.. but nothin g wrong with the phone....

****moral of the story never buy 1st gen apple --- its not been tested properly yet!!!!

any tech support in apple will lie to u unless they agree!

When was there a recall on the 4?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Interesting post on one of the pages. Are there really that many faults with it already?

Charles R Jones II
    So just to total them up...
    AntennaGate2 (can still short antennas at top and bottom)
    ScuffGate/ScratchGate (anodized finish easily comes off)
    LightningGate (USB end of lightning connector gets "stuck" in USB ports)
    CableGate (auth chip in cable prevents cheaper third party cables)
    AppleMapsGate (no explanation needed)
    WiFiGate (problems connecting/staying connected to WPA-2 networks)
    SiriGate (siring giving wrong weather for major cities, etc)
    PurpleGate (bright lights appear purple in pics)

Did I miss anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Interesting post on one of the pages. Are there really that many faults with it already?

Charles R Jones II
    So just to total them up...
    AntennaGate2 (can still short antennas at top and bottom)
    ScuffGate/ScratchGate (anodized finish easily comes off)
    LightningGate (USB end of lightning connector gets "stuck" in USB ports)
    CableGate (auth chip in cable prevents cheaper third party cables)
    AppleMapsGate (no explanation needed)
    WiFiGate (problems connecting/staying connected to WPA-2 networks)
    SiriGate (siring giving wrong weather for major cities, etc)
    PurpleGate (bright lights appear purple in pics)

Did I miss anything?

Cable did need to be replaced, they couldn't use the 30 pin FOREVER.

purple is lens flare, which is replacing the 8 or so dots you saw when you got lens flare on an iphone 4, IMO chromatic aberration is better than reflections of the lens on the image.

don't know about the rest of those problems since I dont own or plan to own an iphone 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry,but any camera no matter how good will produce flare if directed at a light source.

Seems to me they're just looking for any reason to have a go at Apple.

Also, they're twisting Apple's words as they said to angle it away from light which is sound advice rather than say "You're holding it wrong".

Flares will happen yes.
    Giant purple halos around any source of bright light, no.

It's incredibly off-putting for those who have the problem, especially if you live in a sunny place like California.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no purple hue in my photos :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Had my phone for a week now, ordered a case for it straight away, it came 3 days after getting the phone.

With careful care, no drops, no memorable scratches there are 3 big scrapes in it... That's gonna fûck my resale in the future.
    Wifi is painfully slow, switch to 3GS, it's razor fast....

I'm not happy at all to be honest and kinda wish I kept my 4s, I only changed as I got the phone on a free upgrade, so I can't complain too much, but had I paid for the phone, I would be proper angry to be honest.
    The scuffs are just awful looking, and that was only after 3 days ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

kceire wrote: »
    no purple hue in my photos :confused:

It's not affecting all customers who buy it, hence why the excuses being thrown out by Apple are under so much scrutiny.

If it was supposed to happen, then it would happen on all iPhone 5's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

had mine for a week...32GB White

Bought a cheapo 5 euro case...

No problems,

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭donaghs

murpho999 wrote: »
    When was there a recall on the 4?

Don't remember an Apple recall. Although after much denial they did eventual concede they screwed up with the hardware design.
    But in my workplace a lot of senior people simply gave them back and requested a working phone device that could also do email. Seemed to be a common enough story in large organisation with very senior Apple converts.

Only heard of one person reporting iPhone 5 call dropping, so it looks like this won't be an issue this time? So, apart from scratching and scuffing, and the camera purple flare, any other pitfalls people can think of before buying a large number of these devices? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

donaghs wrote: »
    Don't remember an Apple recall. Although after much denial they did eventual concede they screwed up with the hardware design.
    But in my workplace a lot of senior people simply gave them back and requested a working phone device that could also do email. Seemed to be a common enough story in large organisation with very senior Apple converts.

Only heard of one person reporting iPhone 5 call dropping, so it looks like this won't be an issue this time? So, apart from scratching and scuffing, and the camera purple flare, any other pitfalls people can think of before buying a large number of these devices? Thanks!

it was a silent recall - call up if u have a problem and get a free repair ! dont be silly apple wouldnt announce a recall!!

Advertisement