Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Obesity is one the worst choices a person can make" - Obese News Anchor rages @ email

• 03-10-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭

http://video.news8000.com/watch.php?id=36335

In short

-Overweight news anchor lady reads email on TV that someone sent her telling her to lose weight because she's setting a bad example for the community
    -She posts it on her FB and gets showered with support and compliments from what looks like more obese people
    -Starts spouting typical fat person denial stuff, "I'm more than a number on a scale", "you dont know me!"
    -Claims to be a victim of a bully and compares herself to others who have issues such as acne or disabilities.

Makes me rage, cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin. Obesity is 99% of the time a personal choice she should not be comparing herself to others who have issues they can't control. The email wasn't even hateful but If I were the email writer, I would have suggested that she get on an exercise program to be a healthful role model rather than suggesting quitting her job entirely.

I am truly disgusted with her. its not that she is fat, its her blind justification for it.

Is not owning up to your faults a generational thing or are we seriously so deluded in this generation we compare obesity to gender inequality and racial disrimination?

As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy. Humans are becoming more pathetic by the day, you can't even tell someone the truth (even sugar coat it to hell) without them getting rattled to pieces.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sending someone an email to lose weight because they're seting a bad example "for the community" is an incredibly retarded thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd fcuk her....but wouldn't tell my friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This story was also in the Daily Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Iceboy wrote: »

In short

-Overweight news anchor lady reads email on TV that someone sent her telling her to lose weight because she's setting a bad example for the community
    -She posts it on her FB and gets showered with support and compliments from what looks like more obese people
    -Starts spouting typical fat person denial stuff, "I'm more than a number on a scale", "you dont know me!"
    -Claims to be a victim of a bully and compares herself to others who have issues such as acne or disabilities.

Makes me rage, cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin. Obesity is 100% a personal choice she should not be comparing herself to others who have issues they can't control. The email wasn't even hateful but If I were the email writer, I would have suggested that she get on an exercise program to be a healthful role model rather than suggesting quitting her job entirely.

I am truly disgusted with her. its not that she is fat, its her blind justification for it.

Is not owning up to your faults a generational thing or are we seriously so deluded in this generation we compare obesity to gender inequality and racial disrimination?

As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy. Humans are becoming more pathetic by the day, you can't even tell someone the truth (even sugar coat it to hell) without them getting rattled to pieces.

wrong - check your facts. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

It's not a disease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Lol, my ads are for lipotrim on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

In short

Makes me rage, cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin. Obesity is 100% a personal choice she should not be comparing herself to others who have issues they can't control. The email wasn't even hateful but If I were the email writer, I would have suggested that she get on an exercise program to be a healthful role model rather than suggesting quitting her job entirely.

All I took from this is that you want it to be okay to attack someone over something but you want it to be wrong for them to get defensive.

Also, you were extremely overweight...twice. Think about that for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

she made her point after 10secs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

.....As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy......

Which part? The putting on or taking off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Hmmm ... nope !!! standards brah !! you need some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

In short

Who made her a role model? She's just a journalist who reads the news. If she's good at her job,what the hell does it matter what she weighs :confused:

If it was so incredibly easy, no one would be overweight.

The reason she's getting rattled is probably because some saddo with nothing better to do has taken the time to write a rather insulting letter, not about how good or bad she is at her job, but about the way she looks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

She didn't justify it (not that she should have to) she said: "Do you think I don't know that, that your cruel words are pointing out something that I don't see?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Hmmm ... nope !!! standards brah !! you need some

I don't know...she does have a purdy mouth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Wasn't she last seen at the location where that farmer from Oregon is believed to have disappeared from?

You know that guy where they only found his dentures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Who made her a role model? She's just a journalist who reads the news. If she's good at her job,what the hell does it matter what she weighs :confused:

The reason she's getting rattled is probably because some saddo with nothing better to do has taken the time to write a rather insulting letter, not about how good or bad she is at her job, but about the way she looks.

She's a reporter, so it'd be interesting for her to do a report on how obesity in the US is going to cost the country billions in healthcare costs over the coming decades. I think in the next ten years, one in three children will be considered obese, so the reality is that she really is setting a bad example for her own children as well as others. I'm against bullying as much as the next person and the guy that sent the email probably would have been better off requesting the station do a piece on the dangers of obesity rather than giving this lady a hard time, but seriously, you can't change your sexuality but you sure as hell can lose weight. And that comes from someone who had and has people in my life who have struggled with obesity a great deal. I ain't saying it's always easy for every person to lose weight, but she is a bad example just as much as an athlete who abuses drugs or whatever. Obesity is just one of those accepted forms of self-abuse because our government supports an agriculture system that promotes consumption of high calorie/low nutrition foods.

As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy.

You must have really enjoyed it too to decide to do it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    I don't know...she does have a purdy mouth!

They all have purdy mouth's !! it's the 200lb's extra that's the issue ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Definitely worth a Rogering

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I admire that woman.
    She didn't retort and attack the email sender (she did non-rudely respond to him with wisdom), she took his words and put them to good use - to bolster an anti-bullying campaign.
    Fair play.

I have dated large women like herself - and they have been the nicest females I have had the pleasure to be in the company of.

Good on her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

In short

Makes me rage, cannot believe she was comparing herself to children who struggle with the color of their skin. Obesity is 100% a personal choice
    It depends on the case. Some people are unable to exercise due to preexisting physical disabilities, some people have extremely slow metabolism, etc... You can't say that for everyone. You're certainly in no position to judge. Not everyone who is obese is addicted to food.
    This is an incredibly self-righteous statement to be honest. Just because it's "easy" for you to loose weight doesn't mean it's easy for others. You think you can judge others when in fact you really can't. Just because you might have eaten a gallon of sugar a day doesn't mean that all obese people are like you. Some obese people cut down on as many calories as they can but still can't loose 4 pounds, never mind 60 pounds. We're not all hardwired the same.

Also mental health problems such as depression or anxiety can often lead to people gaining weight.

• Advertisement

She's a reporter, so it'd be interesting for her to do a report on how obesity in the US is going to cost the country billions in healthcare costs over the coming decades. I think in the next ten years, one in three children will be considered obese, so the reality is that she really is setting a bad example for her own children as well as others. I'm against bullying as much as the next person and the guy that sent the email probably would have been better off requesting the station do a piece on the dangers of obesity rather than giving this lady a hard time, but seriously, you can't change your sexuality but you sure as hell can lose weight. And that comes from someone who had and has people in my life who have struggled with obesity a great deal. I ain't saying it's always easy for every person to lose weight, but she is a bad example just as much as an athlete who abuses drugs or whatever. Obesity is just one of those accepted forms of self-abuse because our government supports an agriculture system that promotes consumption of high calorie/low nutrition foods.

Yeah, now I think about it, how on earth would an experienced news anchor be able to cover stories about health when she is overweight.....I must fire off an e-mail to Eamon Holmes this instant telling him the same thing. I'm surprised he's lasted in his job so long. I mean, who cares whether he's good at his job or not - he just doesn't look right, damnit!

I don't get it, she's fat:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

It depends on the case. Some people are unable to exercise due to preexisting physical disabilities, some people have extremely slow metabolism, etc... You can't say that for everyone. You're certainly in no position to judge. Not everyone who is obese is addicted to food.

This is an incredibly self-righteous statement to be honest. Just because it's "easy" for you to loose weight doesn't mean it's easy for others. You think you can judge others when in fact you really can't. Just because you might have eaten a gallon of sugar a day doesn't mean that all obese people are like you. Some obese people cut down on as many calories as they can but still can't loose 4 pounds, never mind 60 pounds. We're not all hardwired the same.

Also mental health problems such as depression or anxiety can often lead to people gaining weight.

To be honest with you, It wasn't the fact that she is overweight that angers me.
    The problem and the reason I am irritated is that she did this publicly and looked like a complete idiot to anyone who actually listened to her little rant/speech.

1) She didn't have to give it in the first place and could have just ignored it.
    2) She tied in obesity with race, gender, etc.... stereotypes to make the situation much larger then it already was
    3) She contradicted herself numerous times in the span of the 4 minute speech which makes her sound delusional and idiotic.
    4) She admits she is overweight but doesn't address the negative sides of being overweight from a health related stand point.
    5) The original letter send to her never needed to be sent, however it was as respectfully written as possible given the topic.
    6) This is the reason why "bullying" is getting so out of hand. Bullying used to be picking on other people. Now anything is considered bullying.

Also yes. I would gladly say this to her face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

The email wasn't even hateful but If I were the email writer, I would have suggested that she get on an exercise program to be a healthful role model rather than suggesting quitting her job entirely.

I don't think that you would have written anything like that email, though, and I doubt you would have written anything at all. I think you should read it again, as the person is just having a go at her for being fat and tacking on some community responsibility horseshít in order to twist the knife. Admittedly she didn't address the issues the email is pretending to be about, only regarding it as the hate mail it clearly is. The mail also implies that girls will be fat because of her, a notion I find laughable.

I don't get it, she's fat:confused:

Exactly - so that was the reason the email sender used to insult her.
    As she said herself, words to the effect of "you didn't think I know this?".

Her response to the email twat has gotten world publicity it seems.
    Her response I think has gone viral.

The journal.ie article too: http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/news-anchor-fat-response-video-620238-Oct2012/

Biggins wrote: »
    Exactly - so that was the reason the email sender used to insult her.
    As she said herself, words to the effect of "you didn't think I know this?".

Her response to the email twat has gotten world publicity it seems.
    Her response I think has gone viral.

The journal.ie article too: http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/news-anchor-fat-response-video-620238-Oct2012/

fighting back against ‘bullies’ eh?
    Try fighting the temptation to eat cake.

I didn't see anything intimidating about the email.
    She is an attention whore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It is incredibly easy, and fun! As someone who lost 40kg all you need to do is take Ecstasy for a year and dance the weight away.
    I think in the next ten years, one in three children will be considered obese, so the reality is that she really is setting a bad example for her own children as well as others.
    I think ti's just as pathetic that people would see a fat person and be overcome with the uncontrollable urge to be as fat as them despite finding them disgusting. What is wrong with people today that they constantly end up doing the things they despise? If people see or hear of people doing drugs the fear is they and the entire population of people will start doing drugs too, there's a fat person I feel like eating 6 pizzas, that guys breaking the speed limit he could kill somebody I better drive fast too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Im just gonna say it, Fat people piss me of.

Oh oh I have an eating disorder.
    Yep ya sure do two fat hands and only one fat face, put one of the big macs down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Obesity is not a choice. It's a consequence of overeating. Overeating is the choice.

In the same way that smoking is a choice, lung cancer is not.

That's the fundamental thing that the email and the OP has missed - that someone being obese isn't them flaunting their lifestyle in front of the rest of the world. It's a consequence of their choices which they may or may not be in the process of correcting.

The "bad example" argument might hold true if she chowed down on big macs mid-broadcast or had a cigarette in her hand, but being fat in front of a camera isn't setting any kind of example unless her job is to give instructions on healthy eating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

To be honest with you, It wasn't the fact that she is overweight that angers me.
    The problem and the reason I am irritated is that she did this publicly and looked like a complete idiot to anyone who actually listened to her little rant/speech.

1) She didn't have to give it in the first place and could have just ignored it.
    2) She tied in obesity with race, gender, etc.... stereotypes to make the situation much larger then it already was
    3) She contradicted herself numerous times in the span of the 4 minute speech which makes her sound delusional and idiotic.
    4) She admits she is overweight but doesn't address the negative sides of being overweight from a health related stand point.
    5) The original letter send to her never needed to be sent, however it was as respectfully written as possible given the topic.
    6) This is the reason why "bullying" is getting so out of hand. Bullying used to be picking on other people. Now anything is considered bullying.

Also yes. I would gladly say this to her face.
    I don't think you're one to speak for her to be honest. You don't know exacctly she's overweight - it could be any number of reasons and now you're just trying to weasel out of the gross and self-righteous generalizations you made easier. Just because you were overweight once doesn't mean that you can speak for all obese people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Yeah, it's a tough one. I think she should have just ignored it, I know what she's saying, kids are targeted by bullies in the schoolyard all the time because of what they look like, and that's awful, but I guess being overweight is such a contentious issue because in theory, there is absolutely no need for it. There are a huge number of psychological factors tied up with being overweight, so while you actually can just decide to stop eating crap and exercise, making plans to do this and actually doing it can be challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

No it's not. If it were that bloody easy, you wouldn't have had to lose it twice, now would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

It was probably someone trying to take their own insecurities out on her. Trying my best to ignore all this body nonsense, as long as you're not hurting me do want you want with the cake.

Plus I hate this whole "curvy" women are real women business, I weigh under 120 pounds with no tone. I'm never going to look like Christina Hendrix no matter how much I try to eat. Her body is as unattainable to me as Kate Mosses is.

Everyone comes in different shapes and sizes! Sure what about it!!!

fighting back against ‘bullies’ eh?
    Try fighting the temptation to eat cake.

I didn't see anything intimidating about the email.
    She is an attention whore.

Pity then that you can't understand why some people are fat - often against their will and their biological system which don't work the way it does for most people.
    I would politely suggest you research the matter.

Its too lazy of some to just say "Your fat" in a derogatory manner.
    It shows an insulting behaviour, it exposes a possible bullying nature and it shows up an un-educated person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I think we can file this under 'First World Problems'.

She could have easily deleted this one single email and got on with her life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate this 'role model' nonsense. Can people not think for themselves without having to copy people on television? Who the hell purposely decides to gain weight anyway?

People either gain weight because they eat too much fatty food or because they have a medical condition. I've never heard of anyone gaining weight to copy a newsreader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice,

what made you incapable of keeping the weight off the first time if it was that easy?

Pity then that you can't understand why some people are fat - often against their will and their biological system which don't work the way it does for most people.
    I would politely suggest you research the matter.

Its too lazy of some to just say "Your fat" in a derogatory manner.
    It shows an insulting behaviour, it exposes a possible bullying nature and it shows up an un-educated person.

Are you fat?
    Do you require sympathy for it?

Then why should i give a **** how someone feels about their appearance.?
    Do something about it, otherwise shut up and get on with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized
    Or some other self-justifying crap.

Like alcoholism, the first step for the overweight is to admit there's a problem. All this fannying about that surrounds fat people only serves to kill them prematurely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Camera adds ten pounds...she probably looks like a well fed Kate Moss in real life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People either gain weight because they eat too much fatty food or because they have a medical condition.
    It doesn't have to be fatty food, fatty food in itself isn't unhealthy you need to have fat in your diet. Eating to many calories makes you fat, those calories can come from the healthiest foods and you can still get fat.

Are you fat?
    Do you require sympathy for it?

Then why should i give a **** how someone feels about their appearance.?
    Do something about it, otherwise shut up and get on with your life.

Did the lady ask for sympathy ?
    Has she gotten on with things? Her job?

For someone that don't give a "**** how someone feels about their appearance" - you sure have a lot of thoughts on the matter!

A bit odd that.

Anyway, maybe she is doing or trying something?
    Meanwhile the insulter's come out - well done them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

Heh, roll model.

Ah, she's hardly massive, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As someone who has been overweight and lost 60+lbs twice, it is incredibly easy.
    Sure, there's none more pure than the reformed hoor....

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Feeona wrote: »
    Camera adds ten pounds...she probably looks like a well fed Kate Moss in real life

Yeah but as Chandler would say just how many cameras are pointed at her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm sick of the "role model" hysteria tbh, we talk about our young people like they are complete morons who (for example here) are going to see an overweight person and decide that's what they want.

mitosis wrote: »
    She's not obese!

She's curvy
    She's plus sized
    Or some other self-justifying crap.

Like alcoholism, the first step for the overweight is to admit there's a problem. All this fannying about that surrounds fat people only serves to kill them prematurely.

Who's self justifying? The woman admitted she's overweight, she didn't make excuses for it - why should she?

All she seemed to be saying was that there was no need to point out the obvious in such a condescending way, when there was no reason for it other than to make her feel sh!tty about herself and try and make her out to be some terrible role model. If she's happy (or unhappy) at that weight, it's nobody else's business but her own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Yeah but as Chandler would say just how many cameras are pointed at her

Not that many it appears, just had a look at her and she isn't massive by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT : I don't know, people who sit at home and pontificate on what other people should or shouldn't be like have a lot of growing up to do. The guy who wrote the email admitted he hadn't seen the show in a while, yet he felt the uncontrollable urge to tell the anchor to shape up? Why does he think that she wanted his 'advice'? Anyone with half a brain knows that even well meaning advice delivered by friends and family can be a harsh blow, so what made this guy think that the anchor would be delighted with his? The simple answer is he knew that she wouldn't be happy to hear his 'advice', because he knows in his heart and soul that he sent that email to belittle her, not help her.

Did the lady ask for sympathy ?
    Has she gotten on with things? Her job?

For someone that don't give a "**** how someone feels about their appearance" - you sure have a lot of thoughts on the matter!

A bit odd that.

Anyway, maybe she is doing or trying something?
    Meanwhile the insulter's come out - well done them!
    What's a bit odd is you policing an AH thread telling people to mind the wording they use to describe fat people, ahem sorry Obese.
    If you think you are going to turn AH into a sensitive and nice place to read posts, i feel sorry for you.:pac:

I admire that woman.
    She didn't retort and attack the email sender (she did non-rudely respond to him with wisdom), she took his words and put them to good use - to bolster an anti-bullying campaign.
    Fair play.

I have dated large women like herself - and they have been the nicest females I have had the pleasure to be in the company of.

Good on her!

desperation is the mother of consideration

• Advertisement
Advertisement